Car has no power!

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Car has no power!

Postby jds » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:45 pm

Hi, my car has no power when the key is turned. No dash lights or cranking from engine. Battery was checked and replaced with a brand new one. All fuses were renewed. I tried a few other things like earth straps etc all fine. There is power in the car as the door lights come on when they are open and when I disconnect the cd player and reconnect it, it comes on for a min and shows the welcome screen but as it doesn't workwith the key being turned it goes off again. It's almost as if turning the key in the ignition doesn't do anything anymore.
Any ideas??
jds
1st gear
1st gear

Re: Car has no power!

Postby jds » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:31 pm

Voltmeter doesn't move at all. There was an alarm fitted when I bought it, some avital thing doesn't have a model number or anything on it. It was disconnected due to a few broken wires since I got it and I only just connected when I was messing about trying to fix this problem.
jds
1st gear
1st gear

Postby Gerry » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:51 pm

Sounds like issue with ur alarm immobiliser alrite.
Have you reconnected the alarm?
The ignition circuit is wired through the immboliser, so if ur car immboliser is active there will be no power here.
On my car the immboliser activates itself after a period of non use(bout 20 seconds) then i have to put key in ignition turn on to where u expect to get dash lights,
then press alarm deactivate button then dash lights return and back to normal.

Or if you have a a broken wire on this part of the alarm circuit you will also get this issue.
If you dont want this immboliser ya can just disconnect alarm and reconnect ignition circuit back to standard.
Gerry
Have you seen my FTO tattoo?
Have you seen my FTO tattoo?

Postby d_dan » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:45 pm

Defenitely the immobiliser
d_dan
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby colm_mcm » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:15 pm

Rule out the main fuses too I suppose. No point in getting too excited till you check the basics
colm_mcm

Postby jds » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:56 pm

Thanx for help guys, got problem sorted. Was some badly severed wires down in the engine bay that lead down from the positive terminal.
jds
1st gear
1st gear

Return to FTO Technical