Front Pads

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Front Pads

Postby Speedyboy » Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:52 pm

I got my new brake pads (pagids) fitted today and I noticed two things while bedding them in

1. The brake pedal travel has increased an awful lot (leading to a hairy moment)

2. There is an awful stink under hard breaking like a clutch plate burning smell and i think i seen a bit of smoke/ dust from the drivers wheel under hard braking?? Is this normal

Im particularly worried about the brake pedal travel ive pumped the pedal 50 odd times to increase it but nothing yet anyone experienced this before?
Speedyboy
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby steelroe » Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:08 pm

I wouldnt worry about the smell but the pedal should not be travelling further. I reckon the system was not bled properly or at all. Check the fluid reservoir aswell
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Speedyboy » Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:30 pm

Resevoir looks grand i checked that straight away looks grand ill bring it back to them when i can but with work god knows when ill get a bloody chance

You dont bleed them every time you change the pads though do you ?
Speedyboy

Postby Daz » Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:53 am

Speedyboy wrote:Resevoir looks grand i checked that straight away looks grand ill bring it back to them when i can but with work god knows when ill get a bloody chance

You dont bleed them every time you change the pads though do you ?

No you don't but when changing them you have to wind back the pistons to fit new pads, now the brake system is self contained, so when winding back the pistons your supposed to open (vent) the resevoir a small bit not fully remove the lid if it wasn't opened up at all when the pistons were wound back it puts the fluid under to much presure and it can boil and thus it get air bubbles in it and this can result in a "soft" pedal, i'm afraid the only way to solve this is to now bleed the brakes.

Daz...
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!

Postby CJ » Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:07 pm

Daz wrote:No you don't but when changing them you have to wind back the pistons to fit new pads

You only have to wind the rear pistons back ;)
Ralph, as mentioned bleed the brakes in the following order:

Near side rear
Offside front
Offside rear
Near side front

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby steelroe » Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:31 pm

Brake fluid will only boil under severe braking.
I recently replaced my fluid with DOT 5.1 and braking improved, old fluid was probably in there since day one.

As mentioned already brakes should always be bled everytime the pads are changed.
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Speedyboy » Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:30 am

There improving with the bedding in, But im still not sure, Wont be me bleeding them. Dont trust my skills or lack of that much.
Speedyboy

Return to FTO Technical