Eclipse RS

A forum dedicated to quick Japanese motors

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Dave » Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:46 am

ah it'd be just a case of coming up with the design, Karl (business partner) is into stainless steal laser cutting so once the design is there all he'd have to do is, do it up on the machine in polished stainless steal!!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:24 pm

Dave wrote:ah it'd be just a case of coming up with the design, Karl (business partner) is into stainless steal laser cutting so once the design is there all he'd have to do is, do it up on the machine in polished stainless steal!!

How about
GSti
GS-ti
GS-t
GS-T
GS-TI

Personally I like GS-t
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:31 pm

yeah GS-T is good too! ah so many choices!

any one know about back pressure and stuff like that? i have the two exhausts on mine, will i have to block one of them off to increase the pressure? i remember something very vaguely about this on the uk forum!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:20 pm

Dave wrote:yeah GS-T is good too! ah so many choices!

any one know about back pressure and stuff like that? i have the two exhausts on mine, will i have to block one of them off to increase the pressure? i remember something very vaguely about this on the uk forum!

Isn't that only for N/A cars - don't turbo cars benefit more from having a bigger bore exhaust? Within reason obviously - don't they recommend 3" bore for turbo'd cars and 2"/2.5" for N/A?
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:24 pm

i don't know to be honest! i thought it was the other way around? may be completely worng of course :oops:
where's CJ when you need him, he's always full of useful information! :!:
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:47 pm

Dave wrote:i don't know to be honest! i thought it was the other way around? may be completely worng of course :oops:
where's CJ when you need him, he's always full of useful information! :!:

I wouldn't be very well up on turbo applications, but I do know that the idea is to reduce exhaust back pressure which improves breathing and offers bhp gains. This also alows the turbos to develop more boost due to the increased pressure drop, turbo response is also improved in terms of spool up time. Overall exhaust diameter should be increased to 2.5"-3", resonators should eliminated and the backbox should be a straight thru design, something like an Apexi N1 or Blitz Realize TT.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:50 pm

looks like i'll be getting rid of the cat so!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:51 pm

Dave wrote:looks like i'll be getting rid of the cat so!

And the exhaust as well I would have thought! Martin @ Westward would the man in the know on this one.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:03 pm

so i should be getting rid of the two cans or just block one of them off?
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:15 pm

Dave wrote:so i should be getting rid of the two cans or just block one of them off?

Depends on how free flowing it is, ideally, the exhaust should be as straight as possible, if there is a 90º bend into the backbox I'd consider replacing it altogether. You're gonna be spending a lot of money here so don't skimp on the exhaust if you want to realise serious gains. A properly suited exhaust can release 15-20bhp on a turbo'ed motor.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:16 pm

no one of them is pretty straight through, i know that for sure, the actually original position of the old exhaust is the one causing the near 90degree bend!
but it shouldn't be a big deal to block one of those off would it? i know the box would have to be removed and a new pipe put in place but that'd be it! i like the look of the two exhausts, i wouldn't mind if one of them wasn't in use!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:22 pm

CJ wrote:Depends on how free flowing it is, ideally, the exhaust should be as straight as possible, if there is a 90º bend into the backbox I'd consider replacing it altogether. You're gonna be spending a lot of money here so don't skimp on the exhaust if you want to realise serious gains. A properly suited exhaust can release 15-20bhp on a turbo'ed motor.

CJ

CJs right Dave - You will need the exhaust to be as straight through as possible on a turbo car for maximum gains - turbo cars generally need a larger bore exhaust and generally less back pressure to ensure maximum BHP. The less bends in the pipe the better - You shouldn't need much of a back box either - turbo cars tend not to need as much silencing as N/A's. The good news is with the turbo, manifolds, de-cat and a straight through exhaust you'll have a good chance of flames and chatter on the overrun. :D

Maybe talk to a someone like powerflow in Mullingar - they should be able to advise. I'm sure you'll have no shortage of takers for a twin exhaust in any case.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:28 pm

that's where i got the one i have done already!! :D
ah if it's just a case of cutting on of the exhausts off i'll do that rather than taking one out all together and having a hole there at the bumper where it was!
flames certainly would be a bonus!!! :twisted:
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Previous

Return to Japanese Performance