Insurances and Modifications

Compare and discuss insurance quotes here (Registered users only)

Moderator: Moderators

Insurances and Modifications

Postby Chris_Heilong » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:06 pm

I know most Insurance companies dont like the FTO even as stock, but as most FTO's in Ireland have some mods(lowered/exhaust) done to them I would like to know when you guys try to get insurance do you tell them "oh my cars lowered" and when you declare the value of the car will an insurance company take you on if you value your car at under 2 grand?
White 98 GX, HID lights, SS Exhaust, 17" BK racing Alloys, lowered Suspension, Veilside rear bumper, illuminated Door handles, Leatherette seats
Chris_Heilong
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Re: Insurances and Modifications

Postby Bernard » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:28 pm

I've never volunteered information about any possible modifications on the car, that said if I'm asked then I'll answer honestly.
Any car that's over 12 years old and is still on the road will probably have some spurious parts fitted, I've often wondered if they'd be classed as modifications too?
You'll just have to shop around, I've gotten over €1,000 difference between quotes before.

Obviously giving false information to your insurance company will void your insurance and FTO-Ireland doesn't condone it.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby goz_83 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:38 pm

When insuring the GR last year, I valued it at €1k as far as I know.

When asked about mods, I just say "not that I know of", or "Just some standard improvements....do new wheels count?" Works every time, 90% of the time.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby colm_mcm » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:55 pm

I think Laura's paying a few hundred extra a year for having an induction system.
colm_mcm

Postby Chris_Heilong » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:22 pm

Cool, I know XS will not insure a car valued under 3000 euro at least thats what they told me when I got my civic insured with them, thats what I was getting at guys I dont want to step on a land mine in my hunt for a good quote, there is a black 95 gpx from Wicklow I have my eye on, the seller says she is a member here which sounds good. If I get a quote I will give them a call otherwise I will keep hunting.
White 98 GX, HID lights, SS Exhaust, 17" BK racing Alloys, lowered Suspension, Veilside rear bumper, illuminated Door handles, Leatherette seats
Chris_Heilong

Postby Chris_Heilong » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:52 pm

Wow, Quinn gave me an online quote of €1600. Its a start, depends on how much I really want an FTO, will see what price XS give when I try to move my current cars insurance onto an FTO.
Chris_Heilong

Postby holio » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:17 pm

It should work out alright if you move your current policy to cover you on the fto. I couldn't even get a quote off any insurance companies but only cost me 50ish extra to move my previous policy to cover me.
The ONLY 95GR in shocking red with these specific faults.
holio
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby goz_83 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:47 pm

Chris_Heilong wrote:Wow, Quinn gave me an online quote of €1600. Its a start, depends on how much I really want an FTO, will see what price XS give when I try to move my current cars insurance onto an FTO.

Take a spin in an fto and feel your wallet €1600 lighter and you not giving a damn about the money :)
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby optical illusion » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:57 pm

colm_mcm wrote:I think Laura's paying a few hundred extra a year for having an induction system.

Yep, 100 extra for the pleasure with quinn.

Now I'm with someone else and they don't charge at all.

Personally I would always declare, if there is a loophole it will be exploited, but that's largely dependent on the company. Why pay for something that won't cover you in the event of a claim?
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Chris_Heilong » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:58 pm

good idea, but I will give it a least a few more days, the way I look at it is if I wanted a "normal" car I would spend more than €3000, so if I factor this in then buying an FTO for €1200 and the change can go into insurance and fixing up the car :) will sleep on it
Chris_Heilong

Postby goz_83 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:33 am

There are a few decent looking ones on DoneDeal. There is a red GR in Cavan that has been there since October. It has lovely white leatherette seats and quad exhausts. Was asking for €1500 back then, but now asking for €1400. It's a 1999 reg and looks real clean. Don't know if anyone on here knows anything about it, but I think it's worth a look and you could get another €200 off that price, by telling the owner you know it's been on sale for months and you have cash ready if the owner wants to sell.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2928967
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Chris_Heilong » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:18 am

Thanks but red is the one colour I avoid in cars unless it was a F50, it is too susceptible to weathering and colour change, nice to see a 1999 for sale but no mention of NCT and I dont think its a GPX. exciting stuff picking a car... :| must not Russsshhhhh!
Chris_Heilong

Postby goz_83 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:29 am

It's a GR. I remember this from when it was originally advertised. The advert says Nct to August this year. I actually really like the red FTO. It stands out and suits the car. It being a 99 makes it desireable. You could always buy one of the colour you want and swap all the panels :mrgreen:

One of the guys on here is selling a black gpx. Needs caliper for test. Gerry here might be able to help you out, he is in Dublin. The car has no spoiler and im sure a good offer wont be refused. If you do like it and you do want a spoiler, the oe ones can be picked up cheap and i will be selling my topmix spoiler soon too for €80.
http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2821254

The only good manual mivec I have seen of late is right here in Dublin. I think I've seen it around. Would be easy to get a couple of hundred knocked off for the fog needing replacing and being less than easy to source.
http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3002228
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby optical illusion » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:07 pm

Chris_Heilong wrote:Thanks but red is the one colour I avoid in cars unless it was a F50, it is too susceptible to weathering and colour change, nice to see a 1999 for sale but no mention of NCT and I dont think its a GPX. exciting stuff picking a car... :| must not Russsshhhhh!

I'm the same, too much paint maintenance.

In saying that, CJ rocked up in one one day properly looked after and it really, really stood out.
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:55 pm

Chris_Heilong wrote:Thanks but red is the one colour I avoid in cars unless it was a F50, it is too susceptible to weathering and colour change

A red car thats waxed 2 or 3 times a year will retain its colour without any problem in my experience (I've owned a handful of red Jap imports). A prime example is the GX below - it came in from Japan with faded paint on the plastics and bonnet, a belt of some wax every 4 or 5 months had it booking brand new.

I really miss that FTO :smt086

In terms of the modification issue, the best approach is to declare to ensure you're fully covered in the event of an accident.
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby goz_83 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:32 pm

Is it possible that your old red fto is the one on donedeal? its a red 99, possibly gx, but may be a gr. Previous snaps showed the engine was not a mivec.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2928967
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Uncle B » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:59 pm

I've my induction kit, exhaust and suspension declared with Quinn.
Think it cost an extra €100 alright but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Get out of here Nebulon! No one likes your style...
Uncle B

Postby CJ » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:16 pm

goz_83 wrote:Is it possible that your old red fto is the one on donedeal?

Different car, ours was a manual without leatherette seats. Gino bought the car back in late 2010, I assume its still in his possession.
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby optical illusion » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:36 pm

I miss that car too :(
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Gerry » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:51 pm

I think the car on donedeal is an ex members car. Think it is Powers:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12997&p=99329#p99329
Gerry
Have you seen my FTO tattoo?
Have you seen my FTO tattoo?

Postby Uncle B » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:08 pm

Well spotted Gerry
Get out of here Nebulon! No one likes your style...
Uncle B

Postby goz_83 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:54 pm

The DVD player is Xtrons. Piece of crap. I bought one and gave it to my brother less than a week later. Got me a Meos instead.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby holio » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:19 am

goz_83 wrote:The DVD player is Xtrons. Piece of crap. I bought one and gave it to my brother less than a week later.

Your brother and you, must be love.
The ONLY 95GR in shocking red with these specific faults.
holio
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby goz_83 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:54 am

I'm afraid it's unconditional. And besides, who else am i gonna bribe to clean the car?
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to Motor Insurance