S2000 Track Prep..

A forum dedicated to quick Japanese motors

Moderator: Moderators

S2000 Track Prep..

Postby TopCat » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:51 pm

A couple weeks ago a certain member on this site twisted my arm and convinced me to sign up for a trackday in Mondello. Been wanting to do one for a while, and kinda regretted not bring out the FTO on the track, so I thought its time to just go for it.

Spent the weekend going over the car in preparation, some general maintenance, and a couple of upgrades.

The car was serviced before I bought it, but just to make sure I gave it a serviced it again, fresh oil and filters, but the plugs were long life platinums, and looked practically new, so left them.

Then the bit I looked forward to, new brakes...
Got a set of drilled and grooved discs, vented on the front.
Carbone Lorraine RC5+ pads for the front.
AP Racing Formula DOT 5.1 Brake Fluid
Extra High Temp Paint
and to finish it off, a couple set of Decals off ebay..

Most of it was straight forward, just time consuming (though I did have the advantage of my dads garage, tools and car lift). The calipers were the one thing which took a bit of figuring out. I know there are guides here, but this is the way I did it. The fact that I was replacing the discs meant the caliper had to come off anyway. Once the disc was off, I put to old rags over the rest of the wheel assembly, and the wing of the car. Masked off the brake line and any other parts of the caliper I didn't want to paint, and then went at it with the spray can. This way you can get a nice even coating, and cover all the difficult to reach parts. After letting it dry properly, I reassembles the disc and caliper. Even with my best attempts, the paint got dirty and grubby during this, so once everything was in place, I cleaned the painted area lightly, and then applied some more paint with a brush. The spray had still covered the majority of area including all the difficult to reach areas, so this was really only a touch up, but really made a great job. Finally, let it dry again, and then placed the (heat resistant) decals. I had considered applying a lacquer, but couldn't find a heat resistant one, so fingers crossed it will last as is.

Anyway, the results...

Have to say, very happy with the results, will have to wait will Tuesday to see how the brakes perform, but I'm delighted with the look of the new discs and painted calipers anyway.
TopCat
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Re: S2000 Track Prep..

Postby optical illusion » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:39 pm

:D :D

Ohhhhh, only 2 days now Tom!!

By the way, you will totally regret spray painting your calipers. Totally.
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:05 am

Nice work Tom - not a bad upgrade pre a trackday - you'll really learn a lot about your S2000 and you don't want to find out your brakes are pants.

Refurbished my brembos on the Zed a couple of weeks back (seals etc) - Added a set of Performance Friction discs (floating) and DS2500 pads. Braking has improved enormously - I'll have to get it out around Mondello soonish.

Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby TopCat » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:46 am

And you have your Toyo's on I see, it's disgrace you've not had that car on the track yet. :P

How are the Toyo's for everyday driving. Do they need heat in them to be fully effective?
TopCat
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:23 pm

TopCat wrote:And you have your Toyo's on I see, it's disgrace you've not had that car on the track yet. :P

How are the Toyo's for everyday driving. Do they need heat in them to be fully effective?
#

I'm only now just comfortable with taking the SC Zed on track now that I've refurbished the supercharger and the brakes (they fried at the last 1/4 mile) - plus the Kaaz diff and R888's are gonna make this particularly nice to drive on track.
I was to have been in Mondello this weekend just gone but we've just had baby No 2 so no trackdays for Daddy for another couple of weeks. :lol:

The Toyos are grand for summer use on the roads - in fact they offer a lot more grip than regular road tyres - particularly noticeable under braking on the road (you just don't get the speed to put them under pressure on the road). I thought they'd wear faster but so far they've shown minimal wear. Also surprisingly enough they handle wet roads quite well - a few guys I know that track R888's around Mondello say that they are still much quicker than regular road tyres in the wet. Once October hits though I'll be back on road tyres - the R888's would be next to useless at temperatures of less than 6 degrees C.

Anyways back on topic - how are you finding that S2000 to drive? We're gonna have to do another meet where we can compare the FTO to the S2000,350Z (NA & SC),RX8 and DC5 - all avail on this site.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Bernard » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:08 pm

Myfeckin FTO wrote:We're gonna have to do another meet where we can compare the FTO to the S2000,350Z (NA & SC),RX8 and DC5 - all avail on this site.

Mayo?
http://www.fto-ireland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12047
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TopCat » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:22 pm

Myfeckin FTO wrote:...how are you finding that S2000 to drive? We're gonna have to do another meet where we can compare the FTO to the S2000,350Z (NA & SC),RX8 and DC5 - all avail on this site.

Yeah, that would be a great meet, its interesting the breed of car that people have diverged to from the FTO. The impromptu meet with the FTO, S2000 and DC5 was great fun. And yup Bernard, I think the Mayo meet would be a fine setting! :D

As for the S2000, well I hadn't intended on keeping it too long, have a couple months fun and then put it up for sale, but having had it a while now and especially after doing the work to it, I'm starting to get kinda attached. Driving wise, I've never owned anything that quite matches it. FTO comes close, but I think the moving of the power from the front to the back helps control a lot. The steering feels a little more direct too, probably helped by the elimination of any torque steer, it feels like a lighter car the way it turns in, the balance of the car is great. Spun the back end out a couple times in the wet now, but you really have to be poking it with a big stick to make it do that. :lol: Speaking of which, I'm not that far from Mondello, and its bucketing down rain at the moment. Put new Bridgestone's on the back too on Saturday, but even with that, tomorrow will be, am... interesting! :twisted:
TopCat
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Return to Japanese Performance