Alternator?

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Alternator?

Postby mark » Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:09 pm

Driving home last night the battery warning light came on and a strange drooning sound started. The lights etc. didn't dim but the engine went quieter. While revving it the battery light started to fade out. I've had no problems starting from cold and no battery problems.
The car started fine this morning but it had a distinct lack of grunt to it. We put a multi-meter on the battery and it was fine also.The warning light was still on.
I think my alternator isn't working too well-what to do you guys think?
It looks like a female dog to remove, would I be right? (GR) cheers
mark
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby CJ » Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:43 pm

I had an issue with my alternator recently, cost me 200 quid for a new diode pack (regulator) and labour. If its not the diode pack thats faulty, it will most likely be worn brushes that will need replacing.

As a test, start up the car, then disconnect the negative terminal from the battery. If the car cuts out, your alternator is at fault, if it keeps idling then the alternator is fine. If in doubt, your local autoelectrician will be able to tell if its knackered pretty quickly.

CIaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

bla

Postby mark » Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:27 pm

Nice one CJ, it appears that the alternator is at fault. I can get a factory recon. one for about E 180. I'm just checking what I need to do to get it out. From looking at it, it will have to come out from under the engine.
Cheers again.
mark
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby keville » Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:14 pm

Mark, Just got mine replaced about a month ago (GR) and I struggled for about two hours trying to get it out before I gave up. Got the chap who works on the car to have a look and he got it out but had to pop one of the drives to do it............ Just no room in the damn engine bay :twisted: :twisted:
keville
Octane king
Octane king

bla

Postby mark » Fri Feb 20, 2004 4:00 pm

Yeah, I don't think its going to be easy. Couldn't really find anything on the web about taking it out. The only thing I did find was a piece saying that the exhaust,inlet-manifolds and throttle body need to come off!
mark
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

bla

Postby mark » Sat Feb 21, 2004 12:57 pm

I got a factory recon. one and it's a 12v 75Amp. The one on the car is an 80Amp 12V. Did they give me a 1.8gs one or should I worry about a 5 Amp difference?
Keville, did that guy who did yours take off the exhaust manifold as I don't see any other real way?
mark
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Return to FTO Technical