Co2

Discuss issues related to the NCT \ MOT

Moderator: Moderators

Co2

Postby Speedyboy » Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:38 pm

I did my NCT last night and everything was fine except the Co2 was through the roof on the high idle, I have all the documentation for the car and this was a failure for the past owner. Im guessing that the car is running rich and im going to bring it to a garage with emission testing equiptment and see can they adjust the mix,

Has anyone got any tips for passing this on the re-test?? I drove the car very hard on the way to the test centre as advised.

Ralph
Wavin - Unrivalled European supplier of plastic pipe systems
Speedyboy
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby Kace » Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:47 pm

Hmmm, have you taken off the Cat to see what it's like. You should be able to see through it (through the gauze). Also, I hear that leaks in the exhaust will affect the reading although I'm not sure how ?
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Speedyboy » Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:39 pm

Now that youve said that I did get very small hole in the exhuast welded a month or so ago. I want to get rid of the cat anyway but obviously the NCT has to sorted first. Ive heard a new cat is mad money anyone any idea's?

Ralph
Speedyboy

Postby dpitz » Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:36 pm

i think there is an additive you can get it is made by pro-tec that you put in with the petrol that does the trick will try find out more tomorrow have buddies working in a motor factors
fitz
dpitz
Unleaded
Unleaded

Postby soc » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:58 am

Speedyboy wrote:Now that youve said that I did get very small hole in the exhuast welded a month or so ago. I want to get rid of the cat anyway but obviously the NCT has to sorted first. Ive heard a new cat is mad money anyone any idea's?

Ralph

If you're cat is shot then just borrow one just for the NCT from another owner - someone else on here has already done this I think (or was that a spacesaver or alloy??, I'm too lazy to look for the post).

You should be able to find someone who has fitted a decat pipe and has the cat lying around.... talk to Rory (Steelroe) - he's in Kerry and should have a decat and cat for my old (crashed) GS he bought of Dean. But dunno which is currently fitted.

But any decent mechanic should be able to adjust the mixture to get it to pass.....

Btw, do you have a stainless catback exhaust? If not you'll blow the baffles on the std exhaust if you decat it - that's why I haven't done it yet.... haven't taken that €500 plunge for a stainless.....
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Speedyboy » Tue Apr 06, 2004 1:27 pm

I checked the ECU on sunday and its not sending back any error codes (Although worryingly when I did it the "N" light flashed despite the error code for the gear box being something completely different according to any info I could find on the net.

So hopefully its not the Lamba sensor. Id a job trying to find a garage in galway with a gas analyser (sp!) willing to have a look at an FTO but eventually found one whose taking a look at it this week. Will let you know how I get on
Speedyboy

Return to NCT \ MOT