What brand/grade of engine oil do you use in your FTO?

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

What brand/grade of engine oil do you use in your FTO?

Postby Mustang » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:57 am

I'd like to start a thread on engine oil.
What brand and grade of oil do you use in your FTO. For long term owners, with a bit of experience, do you find that any particular brand or grade performs better than others, any recommendations?
Do you use engine flush when changing the oil? Do you use oil additives, for the suppression of tappet noise, or any other reason, if so do they work? Any recommendations?

I used Wynns engine flush and Castrol RS 10W 60 in my car. No additives.
Don't have the car very long so I can't offer any useful comparisons.

Mustang
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:34 am

Just had the car serviced yesterday - I try and get an oil change in every 3000-4000 miles - Generally use the highest quality brand I can find e.g. Shell, Mobil fully synthetic etc but it really depends on whats available. I try and stick to 10W 40 or 10W 50 - it seems to suit the FTO best. My tappets are silent for the moment since yesterdays oil change - they seem to get noisy again after the 3000mile mark. I haven't bothered trying to adjust them as the oil change seems to sort them out.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:24 pm

I always use Castrol GTX Magnetec 10W40 semi-synth, this was also used by the previous owner and its a popular choice with many of the UK owners. I've used Forte engine flush in the past, while it may have some positive impact as regards removing tar and gum from engine componants, it may create problems on old seals and cause them to leak. I had this problem soon after my last oil change, a cam seal has been seeping oil ever since and its a bit messy to get at. On the upside, I'll be getting it sorted out next week :)

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mustang » Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:51 pm

CJ wrote
I've used Forte engine flush in the past, while it may have some positive impact as regards removing tar and gum from engine componants, it may create problems on old seals and cause them to leak. I had this problem soon after my last oil change

Interesting point CJ. Yes I am aware that engine flushes can have an effect on older /high mileage cars. I thought that the mileage was the real consideration. You have around 80k miles on yours, correct? Not especially high, I thought this would be affecting cars with mileage figures close to twice that! As I'm sure you're aware the leak you refer to is not an isolated case. I think it was Steelroe, who had the same problem previously. I'm inclined to think that this is (at least in part) an FTO specific problem on that particular seal, although I guess the engine flush probably isn't going to help.
I guess flushing the engine at every oil change probably isn't such a good idea.

Mustang
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:23 pm

Mustang wrote:As I'm sure you're aware the leak you refer to is not an isolated case. I think it was Steelroe, who had the same problem previously. I'm inclined to think that this is (at least in part) an FTO specific problem on that particular seal, although I guess the engine flush probably isn't going to help.

Agreed, this is a common enough problem with the GPX, I reckon the engine flush might have intensified the issue in my case.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mustang » Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:32 pm

CJ wrote
Agreed, this is a common enough problem with the GPX

CJ is this problem known to be isolated to the GPX (mivec engine cars)?
Or does it affect all the the V6 engines including non-mivec?

Mustang
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:10 pm

Mustang wrote:CJ is this problem known to be isolated to the GPX (mivec engine cars)?Or does it affect all the the V6 engines including non-mivec?

Without looking in the workshop manual, I don't know tbh, I've seen it on 3 GPXs myself, that may not be indicitave of a model specific problem mind you.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby kevinod » Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:52 pm

Hmm, only having the car just under 2 months I've just done the one oil change (surprisingly enough! :P ) but used Shell Helix 10W40 semi synth and added in Forte top end treatment. No idea when the oil was change last on her, no service history whatsoever before 2 months ago (well 8 months ago when it was bought in Japan), but there was a definate instant improvement on her, quieter, smoother running straight away.

Oil decision as it was what we have 'in stock' at home, and we reckon its probably about as good as anything else. Top end treatment as it was recommended on here!

Kev.
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Return to FTO Technical