Some sort of drain

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Some sort of drain

Postby mark » Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:43 pm

My altenator went a few weeks ago and I wont tell you the fun it was getting it out.Got it reconned and all was fine with the car. So,i'm sitting in traffic the other night (not heavy) with lights and aircon on and that strange dronning noise came back and the lights started to dim etc with the load that was exerted on the altenator.No warning lights came on this time. Went back to the guys who did the altenator and they tested it and it was ok. The battery is also charging fine,we checked it with a multi-meter.
On the "electric dial" inside the car the charge went down to 12,it's usually 14 or so.The car has been idling a little differently lately,very slight hunting,nothing to get upset about,i'm thinking now it could be some sort of throttle problem, when I get the revs up there is no problem, even with everything full on.I've also remove and cleaned the stepper motor about a month ago.
Any ideas ? Can't bare to see me FTO not going well...
mark
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby CJ » Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:22 pm

Mark, did you get the alternator belt changed at the same time, if not, get it done. It sounds like something mechanical rather than electrical....

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mark » Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:58 pm

Sure did, did the alt belt and power steering with two new Gates belts.Interesting that it could be mechanical,hope so anyway.
mark
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby kevinod » Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:46 am

Did ya check your timing? My brother's TDi Golf's timing went out last week or the week before, started sounding like a tractor, down on power, etc., sorted out the timing and she's running sweetly again.

Kev.
kevinod

Postby mark » Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:51 pm

Hi Kev,didn't check the timing,i've been told by a guy in Mitsi.that they don't actually jump timing,could be wrong of course.That does give me a good excuse to look at timing belt!
mark
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Return to FTO Technical