New MOT

Discuss issues related to the NCT \ MOT

Moderator: Moderators

New MOT

Postby Mitsumaniac » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:14 am

Lads,
I`m due to MOT reneval and I was wondering what`s the procedure... This will be my first MOT and I don`t realy know where to go or what do I need. Can I book it online like in IE? Are there some equivalents of NCT Centres up in NI?
Any info appreciated
http://www.newhorizonstyling.com - Wide range of GRP and Carbon fibre panels
Mitsumaniac
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Re: New MOT

Postby Dragonheart » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:28 am

Shouldn't it be an NCT as you're in the Republic of Ireland and not the North?
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Bernard » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:59 am

Dragonheart wrote:Shouldn't it be an NCT as you're in the Republic of Ireland and not the North?

Yup.
I can't see them doing an MOT without you living there and likewise you couldn't NCT it here while it's still on english plates.
The best bet would be to register it here then NCT it.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mitsumaniac » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:42 pm

Bernard wrote:
Dragonheart wrote:Shouldn't it be an NCT as you're in the Republic of Ireland and not the North?

Yup.
I can't see them doing an MOT without you living there and likewise you couldn't NCT it here while it's still on english plates.

I could register her in IE but unfortunately I don`t have spare 2556 euro which they want for VRT. :roll:
so tell me who would give me about 7000 euro for my FTO in case of selling it in near future? :)
so maybe I`ll leave registration for later. The car is insured, taxed and registered on my name in London so I can`t see the reason why I couldn`t do MOT up in NI

I spotted funny thing in VRT calculator... you can`t pick up FTO unless you choose that the car was first registered in Japan...
well this one wasn`t... It`s genuine ralliart version first registered in september 2001 in the UK..
Mitsumaniac
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby Dilogoat86 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:51 pm

You'd have to contact the VRT office directly and get a quote from them for the specific car.
Currently in my collection:
'98 Toyota Starlet...
'79 Mini Clubman 1380cc ~100BHP (I hope)
'79 BMW 728
Dilogoat86
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby Bernard » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:43 pm

Mitsumaniac wrote:
Bernard wrote:

Yup.

I could register her in IE but unfortunately I don`t have spare 2556 euro which they want for VRT. :roll:
so tell me who would give me about 7000 euro for my FTO in case of selling it in near future? :)
so maybe I`ll leave registration for later. The car is insured, taxed and registered on my name in London so I can`t see the reason why I couldn`t do MOT up in NI

I spotted funny thing in VRT calculator... you can`t pick up FTO unless you choose that the car was first registered in Japan...
well this one wasn`t... It`s genuine ralliart version first registered in september 2001 in the UK..

When I brought my car in from England I had to pay €2800 to register it here.
It's disgraceful but it's the law, I also knew how much I had to pay before I bought the car as did you.

I don't want to start an argument with you but you were very fast to take offence when untaxed / registered cars were mentioned in this thread. How is this any different?
Last edited by Bernard on Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dilogoat86 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:48 pm

I think the difference is that it's actually insured in the UK. As in legally insured.
'98 Toyota Starlet...
'79 BMW 728
Dilogoat86

Postby Dragonheart » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:39 pm

Dilogoat86 wrote:I think the difference is that it's actually insured in the UK. As in legally insured.

So its not legally taxed and insured in Ireland then is it? Don't you have to have a residence in England to insure it under your own name?

I had to fork out a certain amount when I bought mine from Japan, I knew what it was and had money set aside for it, along with for insurance and tax. I sure as hell wasn't happy about it and think its a thieving system that the government have and its unfair, but I ran the risk of getting my car taken off me if I didn't do it and I wasn't risking that.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mitsumaniac » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:06 pm

Bernard wrote:I don't want to start an argument with you but you were very fast to take offence when untaxed / registered cars were mentioned in this thread. How is this any different?

Well Benro... this thread and my posts were about foreign drivers and their skills... not insurance/tax.
I`m fully insured/taxed so in case of ANY issue on the road I`m fully covered. It`s not illegal to drive an insured and taxed english car in Ireland.
I have my residence address in the UK... lets say I work half on half here and in the UK and I constantly have ferry tickets to back this up.

Anyway.... so what`s the story with this MOT?
Mitsumaniac
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby Bernard » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:15 pm

Mitsumaniac wrote:I have my residence address in the UK... lets say I work half on half here and in the UK and I constantly have ferry tickets to back this up.

In that case I apologize.
I just assumed because you have a business here and your location is down as Dublin, that you were here full time.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mitsumaniac » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:24 pm

No need to appologise Barnard
I just like more Ireland than England so I spend more time here now.
Mitsumaniac
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby mcgon1979 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:41 am

Jaysis lads... I'd be WELL sour if I had to pay 2000+ euro on VRT for my FTO. but... thinking back, it all makes sense now. My FTO was 11000euro when I bought it in march 2007. I bought it from a jap import place in Balrothery who sorted out the whole thing, plates etc and registering it. Obviously at least 3k of that 11k was for VRT. I just never thought about it like that before.

btw, there are some exemptions to VRT. one being 'transfer of business activity'. The car could be listed as a company car with the business here in dublin if you had a similar business in the UK. The VRT rules are very ambiguous from what I can read on their official website though. It says if you being a foreign car here you must register it by the end of the next business day. Unless you are a visitor. It does not define what "a visitor" is. Maybe Im just visiting Ireland for 50weeks of the year? Or 4 year holiday etc. They don't break it down, so really you can just keep saying your a "visitor" as far as I can tell from the rules. Maybe they have some other clause thatsnot printed on revenue.ie or vrt.ie that covers them.
Ma olen kaine!
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby Dragonheart » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:16 am

No there is more detail on the visitor aspect of it, they do have that covered, its down to the amount of days you spend in the country. If you're car is in the country for more than 6 months I think it is you have to get it VRT'ed. I'm not 100% sure on that but I think thats the rule on it. They might be thieving feckers but they're not thick (not TOO thick at least) either.
I paid €2308 VRT for mine when I bought it in 2005. The VRT calculator showed €1306 the day before and shot up by over a grand the next day, its an absolute disgrace of a system, but sure between that and the corruption that is insurance what more would you expect! I was lucky I had a bit extra put away cause I thought my insurance was going to be higher so was able to use that. It was sickening cause the car itself cost me €3,500 from Japan, and was worth around 11K or 12K here at the time. Still saved a fortune but paid nearly as much VRT as I did for the car.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dilogoat86 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:29 pm

If yo think about it, we pay all the following which have tax in them:

Petrol,
Insurance,
The car itself,
Parts & accessories,
Road Tax,
NCT.

Petrol: Fair enough, we still have relatively cheap fuel compared with other European countries.
Insurance: high prices driven there by a claim happy nation and the usual Irish way of paying whatever it costs to have what they want.
Car: VRT, an unfair tax considering the basis for it that we are importing the car. Every car is imported and every car pays it. But look at the UK, the vast majority of their vehicles are imported and they only pay a registration fee. This needs to be addressed. VRT slows down the car market and makes new car and imports less attractive for buyers.
Parts & Accessories: 13.5% VAT on necessary service parts and 21% on all other non-essential parts.
Road tax: Don't mind paying it. There's a lot of cars on the road, a lot of roads that need work and they are slowly getting their act together on the major busier roads. Secondary roads and B roads are still neglected. A reduction should also be put into effect. Paying 600+ a year on top of outrageous insurance is a bad.
NCT: A sham...a SHAM SHAM SHAM!!!!!! Owners of vehicles should be legally able to show a car has been maintained. If you cannot prove it then fair enough, enforce an NCT type situation. If I can prove I've serviced my car for the past 2 years and that I've attended to certain problems that i shouldn't be forced to pay extra to do an NCT. If it's safety they are worried about then make it a nominal €10-€15 fee to cover costs, but not the price they do charge.

We pay through our arses in tax on cars in Ireland. They seem to make a corolation between engine size and road tax amount. We already pay for out big engines through using more fuel so this is unfair. I propose a flat €100 a year on tax and a fuel tax rise. I'd happily pay €1.30/l if my tax was so ridiculous. I'd also be paying more tax the more I drove my car. Seems a bit more fair.

Also, about you MOT Mitsumaniac, and MOT garage in the north will do it for you. Book it and go :)
'98 Toyota Starlet...
'79 BMW 728
Dilogoat86

Postby CJ » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:22 pm

Mitsumaniac wrote:Anyway.... so what`s the story with this MOT?

Assuming you choose not to register the car in Ireland, you have no choice but to bring it to England for an MOT. As far as I'm aware, you cannot MOT an English car in NI without first registering it with DVLA NI. I'm sure one of the NI guys can clarify.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to NCT \ MOT