Renault Megane Van Help

Discuss other marques here

Moderator: Moderators

Renault Megane Van Help

Postby sinlessgunner » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:24 pm

How are the lads! Ok a diff question this time round, actually a few lol!

Before I bought my FTO I was driving a Megane car van 98 Diesel. I had a few problems with it which really was my excuse for buying the FTO lol. But now I want to sell it but can't really sell it when its not in top condition. OK heres the probs:

1. The Speedometer has given up, it works on start up but once the car gets movin it dies. Any ideas?

2. The wipers are starting to give up, I have to put them on top speed 2 get them going then put them to the speed I want.

3. The car was having problems starting. It turned over but just wouldn't kick in. My gf's dad who is a brilliant mechanic, found the problem. There was no power going from the ignition to the motor. It is now linked to the lights (have to turn them on to get the car going and turn them off to turn off the car!) The immobiliser was taken off the van a few months ago so I'm wondering if the lad who did this damaged the other wire in the process.

So I want to rectify these problems. Any suggestions??
sinlessgunner
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby colm_mcm » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:36 pm

the only solutions that come to mind involve petrol and matches.

try www.renaultforums.co.uk
colm_mcm

Postby Bernard » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:48 pm

colm_mcm wrote:the only solutions that come to mind involve petrol and matches.

try www.renaultforums.co.uk

Come on Colm, use your imagination.... cliff......brick.... :lol:
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby d_dan » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:16 am

iv a friend with 2 of these lying up if parts are needed
d_dan
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Muad_dib77 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:23 am

What ever the problem is - it sounds like you in for an educational treat of the car-electrics type..

See if you start bypassing sections of wireing to avoid something - you're going to change the "load" that's being placed on this other section...this may very well have a negative impact on the durability & general performance of the whole electrical system.. as you mentioned yourself..it's a Renault - they're not known for having super good electricals (no offense intended) from "birth".

I'd start by solving the 1st problem - THEN if problem 2 and 3 still exsist adress those..

If it's an option - hurry up and sell..
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby sinlessgunner » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:37 pm

lol at Colm! Yeah I know I was warned against Renaults but I only wanted something that was going to last about a year because it was my first car and I got it pretty cheap....wonder why :roll: haha!

But still it was just one thing after another. The engine is in perfect working order and it really was a great car for me in fairness but it seemed like once one thing started to go then so did the others!

I might try selling it as it is but I reckon I could get a pretty decent price if I could rectify the problems!!!! I'll see what I can do anyway sure if nothing else it will be a bit of fun taking it apart :lol:
sinlessgunner

Postby colm_mcm » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:09 pm

Megavans aren't sought after, they don't have the durability of a Corolla van, the perceived quality of a Golf, or the charisha of a 306 van. I doubt it'd be worth too much even if it was in perfect condition.
colm_mcm

Postby sinlessgunner » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:17 pm

Yeah I know. I only paid €1700 for it so even if I got €1200-€1000 I'd be more than happy!
sinlessgunner

Postby adjhdj2238 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:07 am

Hi m8 its pretty easy really the wiper motor is tired and in need of replacement, the speedo is most likely to be the sender in the gearbox i have replaced them in the past not to dear and easy to fit with patience,wiper motor is about 100 quid buy 2nd hand,and finally the start problem he would of rejoined the start cable when the immobiliser was removed if it was an after fit it would be obvious and around the key switch if renault part much more complex and would need a renault expert ££££
hope this helps
adjhdj2238
1st gear
1st gear

Postby sinlessgunner » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:12 am

Thanks Andy,

Bit better than the lads advice to burn it haha although I have thought of that myself! It was a mechanic who took the immobiliser off it but he said it was a very minor job so doubt he done a very complex job on it haha! I'll look at it at the weekend and see how it goes, hopefully can sort it myself!

Thanks a million for the advice!
sinlessgunner

Return to Other Cars