Help re: emissions/exhaust

Discuss issues related to the NCT \ MOT

Moderator: Moderators

Help re: emissions/exhaust

Postby Baldrick » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:12 am

Hi,

I need a little advice. Going tomorrow with a pal to have a look at a '96 Celica. Tidy looking motor... plenty of extras, but failed NCT in September on emissions. Lady owner has assured me that it was barely over the limit (no other details on which limit until I examine the report). She said the inspector recommended replacing the back box and pipe, and it would sail through. She has a replacement back box in the boot of the car as part of the sale (car is advertised as having a S/S exhaust... excuse my ignorance, but that means nothing to me). She has assured me that there is a CAT in situ.

Does this make sense? The back box and pipe could push the emissions over?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Paddy.
Growing old is mandatory... Growing up is optional.
Baldrick
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Re: Help re: emissions/exhaust

Postby gfalls » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:37 am

I'd say if its only just failing, then dose it up with redx and rev the nuts off it on the way to the NCT centre.
Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.
gfalls
My first-born will be christened 'MIVEC'
My first-born will be christened 'MIVEC'

Postby Baldrick » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:02 am

gfalls wrote:I'd say if its only just failing, then dose it up with redx and rev the nuts off it on the way to the NCT centre.

Cheers mate for your input. My question is: would replacing the back box and tail-pipe have an effect on the emissions?
Growing old is mandatory... Growing up is optional.
Baldrick
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby Dragonheart » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:35 am

I dont think the back box would have an impact no, mine is a non-standard back box, large bore tail pipe and theres no difference in the emissions. Its the cat that makes the difference. I'd leave the exhaust, put in redex as per gfalls, and drive her in high revs to the centre.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby karlf » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:19 am

Baldrick wrote:(car is advertised as having a S/S exhaust... excuse my ignorance, but that means nothing to me)

Not sure if you were asking this but s\s means stainless steel. Not sure about the back box affecting emissions, but I failed on slightly high emissions and used cellulose thinners. It can be bought in any DIY shop. Its supposed to clean the cat and other bits to make it work more efficiently. Then get some redex or other brand emission reducer like diptain.
karlf
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Return to NCT \ MOT