My new toy

A forum dedicated to quick Japanese motors

Moderator: Moderators

My new toy

Postby CJ » Sat May 13, 2006 11:02 pm

:)

I went flew to Sheffield today and picked up this RX-7 and brought it back on the ferry. I've been hankering after one for a while so after plenty of wasted time looking at Irish models and corresponding with UK buyers, I finally came across this cracking example (I was after an unmodified car). The seller provided me with plenty of info in advance, while theres always a risk in going over and buying a car that you haven't seen or driven in the flesh, the guy was very honest with me over the phone in terms of the condition of the car and minor defects etc. Its a manual 95 Type-R twin turbo and its an absolute rocket-ship! It has bucket loads of power available on tap and it handles fantastically, it really is a true sports car. The 170 mile drive from Sheffield to Holyhead was a breeze, the car just ate up the road.

The UK import experience was pretty effortless - early flight out to Manchester, train to Sheffield, drive from Sheffield to Holyhead and get back on the couch for 9.30pm in the evening. I got the car at a great price, I reckon that cars worth about 3k more over here so I'm chuffed on that front. I'll be heading over to the VRO on Monday to do the business with registration and VRT, the insurance co requested that I submit proof of NCT in the next 3 weeks so I better get moving.

Don't worry guys, the FTOs will still be in the driveway, the RX-7 is for weekend and occasional fun only! I'll get some more pics up once the weather improves...

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pergau » Sun May 14, 2006 11:56 am

Wow.

I'm jealous. You'll have to post a wav file of the engine revving.
pergau
Nothing comes between me and my FTO
Nothing comes between me and my FTO

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Sun May 14, 2006 12:06 pm

Wow - looks like a beauty!

Will I be seeing you at the 1/4 mile sprint in Limerick this year? :lol:
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby kevinod » Sun May 14, 2006 6:49 pm

Nice... it'll be a shame to put a number plate on that nose!
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby adrian » Sun May 14, 2006 7:21 pm

wow wow wow!! Well done mate!! Delighted for ya.
Do you mind me asking.... where did you find it, autotrader? Also, whats insurance like??
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby Muad_dib77 » Sun May 14, 2006 10:02 pm

Holy Crop! Nice one CJ.. I have got to get a closer look at that puppy..
Congratulations on a well spent weekend & of course the new addition to the family...

Oh and hey..you were right about Paul Nolan..He's a cool guy!
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby CJ » Mon May 15, 2006 8:28 am

Myfeckin FTO wrote:Will I be seeing you at the 1/4 mile sprint in Limerick this year? :lol:

Is that an invite MfFTO? I thought you didn't like to get beat? ;)

adrian wrote:Do you mind me asking.... where did you find it, autotrader? Also, whats insurance like??

I've spend that last two months hanging around the Mazda Rotary Club forum and the Irish RX-7 Owners Club forum in anticipation that the right car would come along. I had pretty specific criteria and I was willing to hang about for the right car.

Insurance wise, I've no real choice but to go with a €4k excess policy, the premium is €850 (with XS Direct thru Britton), the things I do to keep an FTO in the driveway ;)

Muad_dib77 wrote:Holy Crop! Nice one CJ.. I have got to get a closer look at that puppy..

You know were I am Muad, I'll have the car with me in work today and tomorrow.

Thanks for all the comments guys :smt023

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Mon May 15, 2006 8:53 am

i'm not at all jealous!! :roll:

what a car though!! well kept secret there CJ!! looks like a beast!
:twisted:
Congrats! 8)
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mustang » Mon May 15, 2006 9:03 am

Nice one CJ, looks sweet 8) Best of luck with it. :smt023
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Muad_dib77 » Mon May 15, 2006 10:19 am

CJ wrote:
Muad_dib77 wrote:Holy Crop! Nice one CJ.. I have got to get a closer look at that puppy..

You know were I am Muad, I'll have the car with me in work today and tomorrow.

Thanks for all the comments guys :smt023

CJ

Neato .. I'll try and make it to Creaf around your leaving time :-) As "luck" would have it I'm driving the girlfriends golf these days..again..
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Muad_dib77

Postby Colin C » Mon May 15, 2006 12:54 pm

Congrats on the new car. Have to say it looks the Mutts Nuts in black.
Steel Silver GPX Manual.
Colin C
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby CJ » Mon May 15, 2006 1:02 pm

Colin C wrote:Congrats on the new car. Have to say it looks the Mutts Nuts in black.

Cheers Colin, I had a preference for black or red, both look the part IMO. I like the way that the rear light cluster blends in with the bodywork:

I also looked at a silver one but 2 silver sports cars in the driveway would have been overkill and a bit plain ;)

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dave100 » Mon May 15, 2006 1:12 pm

excellent choice CJ 8)
i too have been hankering after one of these babies but common sense has taken over and iv resigned myself to an N/A Supra. Enjoy mate-i know i certainly did on my recent test drive :twisted:
Would you PM me a price pls? no probs if u want to keep it secret
dave100
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby CJ » Mon May 15, 2006 1:34 pm

dave100 wrote:iv resigned myself to an N/A Supra

Dave, Speedyboy (on the forum) had one of these, I seem to remember him saying that they could move but didn't have a patch on the TT.

dave100 wrote:Would you PM me a price pls? no probs if u want to keep it secret

Dave, I don't mind sharing the price, I did really well on that front, the guy was originally looking for £6750, he then dropped it to £6250 and I negotiated a further reduction - final price £5500 ;) With the VRT, you're talking approx €9500 all in. The car is worth about €12k over here so I saved myself a nice few quid in the process, theres a lot to be said for looking to the UK for cheap performance cars.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Muad_dib77 » Mon May 15, 2006 3:08 pm

Oh my ., that's an excellent price well done bro!
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Muad_dib77

Re: My new toy

Postby Kace » Mon May 15, 2006 6:08 pm

Jesus - who's SSIA just came in ! Didn't see that one in Eddie Hobbs list of suggested investments 8)

CJ wrote:Don't worry guys, the FTOs will still be in the driveway, the RX-7 is for weekend and occasional fun only! I'll get some more pics up once the weather improves...

Well for some :wink: Is she going to be garaged / covered or out in the elements during the week ?
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: My new toy

Postby CJ » Mon May 15, 2006 7:46 pm

Kace wrote:Jesus - who's SSIA just came in ! ? Well for some :wink: Is she going to be garaged / covered or out in the elements during the week ?[/

When the SSIA does come in, it may be partly used to pay off the loan ;)

At the minute, it will be parked up in the driveway, I might just invest in a cover for winter, theres not a hope in hell I'll be taking it out if theres a hint of icy weather in the air.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby adrian » Mon May 15, 2006 7:51 pm

theres not a hope in hell I'll be taking it out if theres a hint of icy weather in the air.

Is it RWD? Traction control? I know what you mean, the S2000 is a no go in the ice too...be be careful even on wet roundabouts. Are you worried about the attention the FTO AND the RX will bring from scum while parked outside yout house?

I love that car CJ. There was one parked up at airside at the weekend and I was showing it to the Mrs.... sweet motor. Have you any more pics? Interior??
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby CJ » Mon May 15, 2006 8:12 pm

adrian wrote:Is it RWD? Traction control? I know what you mean, the S2000 is a no go in the ice too...be be careful even on wet roundabouts. Are you worried about the attention the FTO AND the RX will bring from scum while parked outside yout house? Have you any more pics? Interior??

Yup, its RWD without TCL. I've already had the back step out a few times on roundabouts and while turning, the FTO is much more stable in the wet than the Rex. In saying that, the rear tyres are badly worn, I'll be opting for a new set of F1 GSD3s over the next day or two. At the minute, I'm taking it pretty easy - I've only had it 2 days and I still have some way to go before I have a good grasp of what the car can and can't do. Its a lot of power to be putting down thru the rear wheels, its easy to loose sight of this fact if you're not careful.

I'm not too worried about security to be honest, the area is pretty quiet.
If there are any issues on the front, I've no qualms about pulling on a hurl!

I've no decent pics at the minute, when the sun comes out for more than 10mins, I get some up. The interior is a bit bland TBH, typically Japanese with plenty of black plastic. I may do a job on the centre console to brighten it up a bit.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mustang » Tue May 16, 2006 9:03 am

CJ,
Will it run ok on 95 octane, any issues on that front?
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Tue May 16, 2006 9:38 am

Mustang wrote:Will it run ok on 95 octane, any issues on that front?

It will run on 95RON, yes, but its not recommened from a detonation perspective, its mapped for 100RON out of the factory. I will probably have to look at getting it remapped for 95, this will entail purchasing an Apexi Power FC aftermarket ECU and possibly another visit to the UK. I believe theres a guy down in Kerry who can do the remapping, I'm currently investigating.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mustang » Tue May 16, 2006 9:41 am

CJ wrote:
Mustang wrote:Will it run ok on 95 octane, any issues on that front?

It will run on 95RON, yes, but its not recommened from a detonation perspective, its mapped for 100RON out of the factory. I will probably have to look at getting it remapped for 95, this will entail purchasing an Apexi Power FC aftermarket ECU and possibly another visit to the UK. I believe theres a guy down in Kerry who can do the remapping, I'm currently investigating.

CJ

What was the previous owner doing? At least you can still get 97/98 octane in the UK AFAIK.
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Tue May 16, 2006 10:12 am

Mustang wrote:What was the previous owner doing? At least you can still get 97/98 octane in the UK AFAIK.

he was feeding it with 98RON which is a reasonable compromise but still not ideal.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bernard » Tue May 16, 2006 11:17 am

Take a look at this, I'm not sure if it's available here.
http://www.smartsrus.com/What%20is%20Sh ... ptimax.doc.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CJ » Tue May 16, 2006 11:26 am

Bernard wrote:Take a look at this, I'm not sure if it's available here.
http://www.smartsrus.com/What%20is%20Sh ... ptimax.doc.

Bernard Shell Optimax isn't available here, I sent an email to all of the major fuel companies yesterday to get a response on the lack of SUL in the Irish market, this was discussed on the forum before, its all down to increased taxes on high octance fuel.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Japanese Performance