gearbox query

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

gearbox query

Postby ebrewer89 » Sat May 18, 2013 10:16 pm

with the very bad ratios of the gpx and drop out of mivec into second i was wondering about changing the box to a 1.6 mivec box, wich can be got for very little and as far as i can see would be a very good performance upgrade, with a higher final drive and closer ratios.will i need 1.6 drives to fit the box and is it a direct fit as have seen a few mixed comments about it..if not just swapping the internals would be the next best thin.is there an optimal setup using some of the fto gearing and 1.6 gears or would just changing the lot be a better idea?just looking to speed up acceleration but not leave it revving its nuts off at cruising speeds :D
ebrewer89
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Re: gearbox query

Postby brccrx » Sun May 19, 2013 1:39 am

Planning on same thing and afaik all is bolt on and no problem at all except for the driveshafts.

It seems that in FTO boxes 2 different type of drive shafts were used.

1. Its same inner CV joint as 1.6 gearbox use as i have asked one of lads with V6 conversion with FTO manual gearbox in colt, what drives he use and he said Mivec ones.

2. Im not sure what FTO had it but it doesn't match 1.6 box.

As for the gear ratios and FD, there 2 types of 1.6 Mivec boxes that can be only recognized by revs and certain speeds on certain gears.
Im not sure but the changes seems to affect all face lift gearboxes witch start in 98-99. This all is verified but on not many cars

For example on the second gear hitting the rev limiter the max speed is about 90km/h face lift gearbox and cruising at 100km/h on 5-th gear u'll see 3200 revs on the rev counter.
While the second gear and 8200 revs on pre face lift gearbox will give 100km/h max speed, not sure about the 5-th gear revs at 100km/h

FTO Mivec Final Drive is 4.312 ( non Mivec same FD and gear ratio D) there also the faster FTO gearbox if im right?
gear ratio D
1-st 3.583
2-nd 1.947
3-rd 1.379
4-th 1.030
5-th 0.820

1.6 Mivec box 4.625
gear ratio C no idea is it the face lift of pre face lift (rather its pre f/l looking at the 5-th gear
1-st 3.071
2-nd 1.947
3-rd 1.379
4-th 1.030
5-th 0.767

Well U'll most likely stay in Mivec trough all the gears no problem :)
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby ebrewer89 » Sun May 19, 2013 6:05 pm

the box i have my eye on is out of a 99 mivec.so will i need to grab his drives aswell and just fit the box and his drives?will this work? i was planning on stripping the two boxes but if it is just a bolt up with a change of drives that would be much handier :D
ebrewer89
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby brccrx » Sun May 19, 2013 11:42 pm

99% it will work if ya get the drives from him! Where did ya get the gearbox links from and the gear stick bracket?

Or maybe Yours is manual FTO already?
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Mon May 20, 2013 12:56 pm

ebrewer89 wrote:....just looking to speed up acceleration but not leave it revving its nuts off at cruising speeds :D

Not convinced of the merits of switching to a lower ratio box if you don't want it sitting at high revs at cruising speeds plus I don't think there is anything like significant performance gains to be made. A GRvR gearbox with the LSD would IMO make a better difference to the performance than changing the box (and it still wouldn't add a whole lot).
That particular FTO is already plenty quick and (as first Irish owner) I was getting a 14.7 sec quarter mile - and the "mivec lag" between 2nd and 3rd wasn't really an issue if you're actually changing on the rev limiter (track day or quarter mile use). I noticed the mivec lag on subsequent FTO's that I owned and drove much more than on your car - I think removing the air con (and bypassing the a/c pulley with a shorter belt) really helped with how the car behaved in the upper rev band.

I've seen your FTO on the Sligo to Galway road a few times and its looking really well - fair play.

Heres a early picture of your FTO btw (around 2002 I think) -

And some later versions:

Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Kace » Mon May 20, 2013 4:36 pm

Thought I recognised that machine alright. Hope all's well Shane !!

What are you running these days?
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby ebrewer89 » Tue May 21, 2013 7:00 pm

thanks :D yes she's not a bad one alrit it seems fairly quick i haven't really raced much in it while ive had it i think im just getting to used to it lol.it could do with a repaint to tidy it up a little but that mite have to wait a small while :( looks lovely and clean in the pics, much prefer the wheels in the black. you dont know the name of the wheels???i know they are work's but the type? i must come to the next fto meet and see your cars and you guys
ebrewer89
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Fri May 31, 2013 1:48 pm

ebrewer89 wrote:......... you dont know the name of the wheels???i know they are work's but the type? ...

The rims are Work RSR-Z - came on the car from Japan. Their original colour was white and they had the RSR-Z logo stamped on a spoke of each wheel. Excellent quality "forged" rims - don't change them for any of the usual "cast" alloys.

Kace wrote:Thought I recognised that machine alright. Hope all's well Shane !!

What are you running these days?

Hey Kace,

I'm running in recession mode these days - no more 420bhp SC Zed for me for a little while.
So I've an Audi Allroad, Renault Clio 172 (phase 2) and a Nissan Qashqai DCI +2 in the yard (company yoke :oops: ).
Have actually gone through quite a lot of cars over the last year or two as I've been tending to buy them, sort them out and sell em on for a few bucks more. So anything I'm buying needs to be resaleable unless I plan to hold onto it.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Kace » Fri May 31, 2013 2:06 pm

Myfeckin FTO wrote:....I've been tending to buy them, sort them out and sell em on for a few bucks more. So anything I'm buying needs to be resaleable unless I plan to hold onto it.

Nothing has changed with you then Shane I see - that has been your modus operandi forever right ;-)
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to FTO Technical