Tinted windows and loud exhausts

Discuss issues related to the NCT \ MOT

Moderator: Moderators

Tinted windows and loud exhausts

Postby Sebastian » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:57 am

I was browsing a few other car forums and noticed there are a god few nct failures due to loud exhausts or tinted windows.
There was a guy who failed the test with a standard exhaust on....

So i'm just wandering , is there anywhere where you can test your tinted luminosity and exhaust noise before the test ?
no1. manual GR 96 l no2. tip GR 95 l no3. manual Gpx 95 l no.4 manual Gpx 95 l no.5 manual Gpx 96 l no.6 tip GR 95 - in 2011 took a break from the FTO scene
Sebastian

Re: Tinted windows and loud exhausts

Postby Dragonheart » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:12 pm

If its a standard exhaust I'm sure they cant fail you unless its got a hole in it or something. Thats like coming in with a ferrari or a mustang and you're man telling you its too loud, of course it is, its a 6L engine!
As far tinted windows, theres a gadget you can get that tests the light getting through, its judged on that percentage as far as I'm aware, like the one this cop uses at 1:45; http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8243293369792570200#
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:52 am

I suspect that theres a lot of large German saloons failing the NCT these days, the amount of BMWs, Passats, A4s and A6's I see with dark tints of late is considerable.

Anyone know at what rpm the exhaust is tested @? Also, whats the acceptable noise level?

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dragonheart » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:50 pm

For some reason 90Db is coming to my head, think I saw that somewhere, dont know what the revs are tested at though, I'd imagine that it would be at 2,500 or 3,000 revs as thats the high idle test for the emissions isnt it?
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:15 pm

Looked it up, its actually 99dB. No info on RPM though which is pretty unscientific.

Check page 84 of the manual:

http://www.ncts.ie/pdf/nctmanual.pdf

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dragonheart » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:32 pm

99 is pretty loud, theres a lot of cars that would pass with that, and I'd imagine that its really trying to cut out the 'homemade' type of exhausts, where fellas weld a piece of 4" pipe onto the back of their car, or young lads drilling a hole and then welding a washer onto the exhaust then to give more noise. I reckon that if you went in, and the exhaust looked decent and in good nick that they'd pass you. I had no bother with mine anyway. Theres no exhaust would be over 99 at idle revs either so I'm sure theres a grey area there somewhere for someone to challenge the results if it didnt go their way. Plus on the leaflet I got with my booking, it said that its down to the discretion of the tester if a car needs to be tested for noise levels. Dont know if that still applies or not.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Muad_dib77 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:52 am

Ill defo have a problem..

..althought I'm fairly sure I still have the Mongoose backbox sitting around somewhere..

anybody from here had any issues going through yet?
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Return to NCT \ MOT