Wing Mirror Question - GPvR versus GPX

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

Wing Mirror Question - GPvR versus GPX

Postby mcgon1979 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:41 am

I have a crack in the housing of my drivers side mirror, someone obviously gave it a tap.
Can I use a GPX mirror folding mirror? My mirror does not have electric fold. They look identical? Anyone know for sure? Thanks guys
Ma olen kaine!
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Re: Wing Mirror Question - GPvR versus GPX

Postby mcgon1979 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:51 am

As I understand it from doing a search, my one has no motors in it to fold up. Lightweight version. The GPX one has the motors in it. I think I could still use that one, it just won't fold up.
The mirror is 287 sterling on camskill. lol. haha. lol. :smt003
sorry. Had to give myself a laugh there. So I'll need to get one on ebay I guess.
Ma olen kaine!
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby colm_mcm » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:40 am

I'd chance it, hopefully the wiring plug is the same
colm_mcm

Postby mcgon1979 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:13 am

colm_mcm wrote:I'd chance it, hopefully the wiring plug is the same

yeah. worst case scenario I'll just adjust the mirror by hand :) Not paying 400+euro to get a new one delivered and painted. :k
Ma olen kaine!
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby Chris_Heilong » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:02 pm

Well if your planning on throwing the mirror out then let me know, could do with the plastic surround.
White 98 GX, HID lights, SS Exhaust, 17" BK racing Alloys, lowered Suspension, Veilside rear bumper, illuminated Door handles, Leatherette seats
Chris_Heilong
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby mcgon1979 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:28 pm

no bother Chris.
Ma olen kaine!
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby goz_83 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:29 pm

You could just get the mirror repaired repaired and painted no? I am pretty sure I have mirror housings in the shed. They come apart easy enough, so if the housing is damaged, you can steal the housing from any fto mirror and get it painted if necessary. I can check if I have a spare housing. I know I definitely have a p/side one, but I should have the d/side too. I'm pretty sure Gerry has one if not.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby mcgon1979 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:26 pm

thanks goz. Yeah the housing is cracked, and the black plastic bit that connects into the housing. The internals, the mirror and its holder are all perfect. It's just the housing and the black lip that sits into the housing at the front of the mirror.
I've sent a mail to a fella in the UK who has a white one going. I'll see if I can get that. avoid the hassle of painting etc. but if he don't come back to me, I'll followup with yourself. If im gonna pint it, I may as well just pickit up locally. thanks for your reply. appreciate it.
Ma olen kaine!
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby goz_83 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:49 pm

As mentioned above. Try Gerry. He has a white one breaking and probably has what you need. He's local in north Dublin too. If you're going to the meet this Saturday I could probably collect the mirror, because I have to drop the used shocks I got back to him. Was thinking of doing that today actually. PM me if you need his number and want to sort that out.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby mcgon1979 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:06 pm

Hey, I've just bought that white one on ebay for 20sterling plus shipping. :x
However, if it's not up to scratch (very clean), I might get Gerrys one anyway.
If you see him when you drop off the shocks can you maybe just find out if he has the white driver side wing mirror and is it clean and how much he'd want for it.
I'll give him a ring if the ebay one don't look great when it arrives on Friday/Monday.
Cheers Goz.
Ma olen kaine!
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby Chris_Heilong » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:39 pm

I was trying to get a white one from Gerry last week but he didnt have any white ones left :( He did have them i other colours.
White 98 GX, HID lights, SS Exhaust, 17" BK racing Alloys, lowered Suspension, Veilside rear bumper, illuminated Door handles, Leatherette seats
Chris_Heilong

Postby Sebastian » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:42 pm

if the housing is cracked , just replace that , you can use your internals/glass if you say they are fine and it's a 10 min diy job
no1. manual GR 96 l no2. tip GR 95 l no3. manual Gpx 95 l no.4 manual Gpx 95 l no.5 manual Gpx 96 l no.6 tip GR 95 - in 2011 took a break from the FTO scene
Sebastian

Postby mcgon1979 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:28 pm

Hey Seb, Got the whole unit anyway in white off a 95 GPX. To be honest it's as clean as my own mirrors so I'm delighted. I'll not even bother stripping it out to use the lighter internals (no motors) out of mine. I'll just bolt it in, 2 bolts. 10 minute job. I thought I might need to touch it up or t-cut it etc before I put it on, but its in great shape, so I'll just stick it straight on and wax next time I clean. :D
I must see how much heavier it is than mine when I take mine off. I'd say its less than 1kg difference. few 100s of grams maybe.
Ma olen kaine!
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby goz_83 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:24 pm

Deep down inside you'll know that something is off. :lol:
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby mcgon1979 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:31 pm

:lol: haha. That used to be me. Exactly. 5 years of ownership has mellowed me. a LOT! :smt003
Ma olen kaine!
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby mcgon1979 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:40 pm

I decided to follow up in here as I thought a couple of you might be interested.
First off, the connectors on the GPvR and the GPX wing mirrors are different. Or perhaps it's because the replacement wing mirror is from 1995 GPX and mine is 1999 GPvR. Here is what they look like...

GPvR 1999

and GPX 1995

I suppose I was thinking I could (if I was really pushed) make up some sort of a connection to do the job. but... I decided not to bother. Why? Because it's the driver side wing mirror. I never adjust it, but if I ever need to I can just use my hand. If it was the passenger side one I'd be more inclined to try and figure out a way to get it working from the electronic control in the car. anyway, I have not adjusted my mirrors in a long long time. So I'm happy enough to just set it by hand and leave it.

Secondly, and more interestingly... I always read the GPvR did not have climate control or sound deadening or fold up mirrors to save weight... Even on camskill they say this.... No motors in the GPvR model... Hmmm... I wonder how much lighter it is...

In the interests of science, (and because they felt almost the same to me) I decided to weight them... :D :smt005
The results surprised me... The GPvR wing mirror without motors (allegedly) is how much lighter? ? ? ? Anyone?

GPvR Wing Mirror (tiny bit of plastic missing)

GPX Wing Mirror

I would call that one busted. The Mirrors are prettu much identical. The fold up one does make a satisfying CLICK when folded up or down manually. The GPvR doesn't. They feel the same weight though? No idea, and not going to open the GPX one to see. Don't wanna risk breaking it :mrgreen:

All in all I'm happy with the outcome. Ordered Wednesday, fitted Friday. 25euro + 30euro shipping. 55Euro. In fairness, I could have got it standard post for about 10euro but would have taken middle or end of next week, and I had to have it fixed sooner than later as it made me feel sad everytime I looked at the mirror.
Still for 25euro for the mirror itself. Steal. And no need to paint and it's in pretty much perfect condition.
Ma olen kaine!
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby goz_83 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:31 am

It's very easy to take the mirror apart. For the same of a few minutes, I'd rather have the option of electric mirrors, even if I never used the electric functions. Pull the mirror glass from the bottom of the mirror and it clicks out. A few screwy bits later and you have the casing free.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby ottostreet » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:20 pm

Might chance my GPvR mirrors over to the folding GPX ones so. Does the vR have the wiring there already, and it's just a case of connecting the other mirrors?
ottostreet
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby optical illusion » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:23 pm

Honest to god, Camskill are a fooking joke with the price of most of their parts.
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:35 pm

Yeah, but they're quick to boot when you need a part fast. It's either that, or have a spare fto for parts; something I would have if I had more space.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby optical illusion » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:32 pm

goz_83 wrote:Yeah, but they're quick to boot when you need a part fast. It's either that, or have a spare fto for parts; something I would have if I had more space.

For 14 sterling anyone would. I have waited 3 weeks for common parts before. Sure what can you do, it's a monopoly.
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby mcgon1979 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:01 pm

ottostreet wrote:Might chance my GPvR mirrors over to the folding GPX ones so. Does the vR have the wiring there already, and it's just a case of connecting the other mirrors?

would you install switch somewhere in the vR cabin, or are the electric fold up mirrors in the gpx linked to the ignition going off?
The wiring loom that comes from the car looks different to me, not to mention the connector to the mirror. I wouldn't bother.
Ma olen kaine!
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby Chris_Heilong » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:05 pm

Its connected to a switch with controls for opening/closing and then a controller for tilting them up/down/left/right.
Chris_Heilong

Postby mcgon1979 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:03 pm

The GPvR doesn't have that switch though. Just the tilting control.
Well, mine doesn't anyway.
Ma olen kaine!
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby goz_83 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:47 am

mcgon1979 wrote:The GPvR doesn't have that switch though. Just the tilting control.
Well, mine doesn't anyway.

Correct. Would require some wiring to get that going. Kind of silly, considering the mirror units are the same weight. Must be about 2 grams saved in the wiring.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Next

Return to General FTO Discussion