converting from 4 speed tip to 5 speed tip

Say hello to other forum members

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with the forum rules before posting!

converting from 4 speed tip to 5 speed tip

Postby r10cky » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:39 pm

hi guys let me introduce myself, my name is rocky and am from scotland and a very proud owner of 2 ftos 1 being a 95 gr auto and 2nd a 95 gpx manual, this site has helped me wonders on numerous occasions in the past. its only right that i become a member and give any feedback or knowledge tbring,hat i can, though you guys have way more info that i can poss bring.

i was just wondering and looing for answers on a few questions if anyone can help that would be great.

i have recently my gr engine about a year ago after it blow up, i know i should of just lay her to rest but couldnt bring myself around to it i have owned it for 5-6 years now. recently the tip box has started to slip, its fine when cold but after a while of driviing it starts to slip on gear changing and at times when in gear. i havve replaced filter and oil and the wiring harness aswell as the sensors, i also tried a diag but nothing came up and nothing worked. so know i have decided to get a second hand box for it though my breaker has a few of here, i was wondering would i be better of putting a 5 speed in rather than going back to the 4 ????

1. if so what would i need to convert it, i know i need the box ecu but do i also need the loom for it also and what about the drive shafts. as i was looking at the gx and that has a 5 speed box, is there much difference between the gpx and gx boxes

2. is there much to gain from it ie mpg, power etc

i have tried to look as much as poss for info but i really cant find any the closest i have gotten is on this site from this thread "gear box has given in"

any info would be so handy as i am going to pick up the box this week and give it into the garage

thanks guys in advance this site is awesome
r10cky
1st gear
1st gear

Re: converting from 4 speed tip to 5 speed tip

Postby goz_83 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:59 am

Here's what I know:

Of course you will see mpg difference, especially if you are on longer journeys. That extra notch makes a difference. 4 speed is a joke imo, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. If you're going through the trouble of replacing the gearbox, you may as well go the extra mile, as long as the mile is not too far :)

You will also need to be changing the clocks. The other stuff, another member will answer.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby colm_mcm » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:37 pm

I'd so be just sticking a manual box in there.
colm_mcm

Postby goz_83 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:25 pm

colm_mcm wrote:I'd so be just sticking a manual box in there.

+1 if you can get your hands on one.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby r10cky » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:21 pm

Guys thanks for your replies, I would love to stick a manual in but tryna get one from scrap yards is near hard so opted just to replace the auto box

The guy has both both boxes 4 speed and 5 speed I know the box would be straight in and out hence my reason for asking bout the upgrade to 5speed and the price for both boxes are the same

Thanks again guys
r10cky
1st gear
1st gear

Postby Spetz » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:19 pm

Not sure how it is on the FTO but it may not be as easy as you think.
Especially if all 5 speed autos had traction control and your car doesn't.

You can use a manual gearbox from something like a Colt, preferably a MIVEC
Spetz
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby colm_mcm » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:39 pm

Never heard about 5 speed tips all having traction control
colm_mcm

Postby CJ » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:19 am

Spetz wrote:You can use a manual gearbox from something like a Colt, preferably a MIVEC

I would be more comfortable seeing evidence of compatibility / suitability before recommending this route.

Transmission preference is a personal thing and is dependant on your own driving style and the driving conditions you usually find yourself in. Personally, I would hold out for a manual box, don't get me wrong - I'm a fan of the tiptronic box - but having owned both, the FTO just seems more complete in manual form. I'll go out on a limb and suggest that a tip box swap will be more straightforward - you don't need to worry about the likes of clutch cylinders and pedal boxes. That said, I if were to go to the hassle, I'd go the extra mile and bang a stick shift in there.

Check out this excellent post for info on the parts required for a manual conversion.

5-speed tip box, ECU and cable looms aside, I'm not sure how much work would be required to take this route. Someone more knowledgeable than I in this area will be along to fill in the gaps...
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby r10cky » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:28 pm

guys sorrys its been a while since i have on, wanted to says thanks to everyone who shared thier valuable information in regards to all this hopefully i shall be able to shre my own experiances now

thanks again guys :P
r10cky
1st gear
1st gear

Return to Introduce yourself