Collecting car from the UK

Discuss other marques here

Moderator: Moderators

Collecting car from the UK

Postby Muad_dib77 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:23 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm collecting a car from UK on Thursday.

What Documents do I need to get from the seller - and is there a surefire way to ensure that the car isn't stolen or something nasty?

I've spoken to the seller a couple of times now.. sound guy, sounds very genuine. Collecting me from the airport and taxing the car for me so I can drive it in the UK without getting pulled over - as it isn't taxed at present...

Oh and don't worry - this car isn't replacing the FTO...

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby colm_mcm » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:24 pm

have you done a HPI check on the car yet?
colm_mcm

Postby Bernard » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:32 pm

As Colm said, do a HPI check, there's loads available on line.
Usually the more you pay, the more comprehensive a check you get i.e. outstanding finance, insurance write off ect.

AFAIK you'll need to get him to sign a V5 document to transfer ownership and to take the car off the UK system.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Muad_dib77 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:35 pm

Coolio..

the V5 is the same as our yellow piece of paper then?
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Muad_dib77

Postby colm_mcm » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:39 pm

our yellow piece of paper is actually grey now!

did you not do a change of address when you moved house?
colm_mcm

Postby CJ » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Get both sections of the V5 relating to sale and export. Do a HPI check before committing - better safe that sorry.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby gfalls » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:28 pm

There's a number you can txt in the UK. Costs £3 and they give all the search details by return.

Text DRIVEBUY space REGNO to 83600.
Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.
gfalls
My first-born will be christened 'MIVEC'
My first-born will be christened 'MIVEC'

Postby CJ » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:31 pm

gfalls wrote:There's a number you can txt in the UK. Costs £3 and they give all the search details by return.

Text DRIVEBUY space REGNO to 83600.

Will this work from an Irish handset?

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:57 pm

HPI do it over the phone and give you the answer there and then, plus they email it to you so you have a print out, I did this and it covers pretty much all angles!

I wouldn't bother with the £3 text, I'd prefer to have it in writing if there were ever any problems!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Uncle B » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:14 pm

Make sure you take it for a good test drive and are 100% happy with it before you drive away.

I looked at 3 and none of them were anywhere near as good as I thought they'd be :cry:
Get out of here Nebulon! No one likes your style...
Uncle B
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby CJ » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:54 pm

Uncle B wrote:I looked at 3 and none of them were anywhere near as good as I thought they'd be :cry:

The key when buying from the UK is to do your homework then do your homework again. In my experience, UK sellers are more that happy to email service history, hi-res pics and answer all manner of questions. You're going over on the plane with a bank draft in your pocket with sole intention of driving the car back, don't let a lack if research let you down.

Agree the price over the phone and get a bank draft for a couple of hundred quid less, bring over the balance in cash. In the event that something pops up that wasn't initially evident, continue the bargaining process accordingly (assuming the issue in minor).

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Muad_dib77 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:58 pm

CJ wrote:Get both sections of the V5 relating to sale and export. Do a HPI check before committing - better safe that sorry.

CJ

Ah 2 sections - nice1.

Will do the HPI 1st thing.. I just wasn't sure that'd tell if the car was stolen or not?

I guess it's not really a boyracer car anyways.
Looks to be 100% Original & Unmodded.

I am a little bit excited..

Woo!

CJ wrote:
Uncle B wrote:I looked at 3 and none of them were anywhere near as good as I thought they'd be :cry:

The key when buying from the UK is to do your homework then do your homework again. In my experience, UK sellers are more that happy to email service history, hi-res pics and answer all manner of questions. You're going over on the plane with a bank draft in your pocket with sole intention of driving the car back, don't let a lack if research let you down.

Agree the price over the phone and get a bank draft for a couple of hundred quid less, bring over the balance in cash. In the event that something pops up that wasn't initially evident, continue the bargaining process accordingly (assuming the issue in minor).

CJ

UncleB -> there's a lot of cars out there that need a bit of tlc to get them to a standard where you'd call it sweet.. but yes, a good test drive will be had.

CJ -> That's a brilliant idea - I like it...
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Muad_dib77

Postby Bernard » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:25 pm

CJ wrote:

CJ

Agreed, that's exactly what I did.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby d_dan » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:48 pm

v5 signed by the regestered owner. and doing a hpi check to be safe
d_dan
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby optical illusion » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:20 am

So are you going to spill the beans...?
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Muad_dib77 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:44 am

beans? what beans?

spring beans?

baked beans?

kidney beans?

green beans?

they're not Very Rare beans - 4 different types of beans there...

woo
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Muad_dib77

Postby Mustang » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:28 am

Maud the V5 consists of one A3 double sided sheet folded into two A4 size sheets. Both yourself and the vendor should fill in as approptriate. He should tare off the 'notoification of permanent export' slip (which is only about the size of a quarter of an A4 page IIRC), he sends this to the DVLA you keep the rest.
I assume the UK motor tax system is the same as ours in that the minimum period you can tax the car for is 3 months? In which case there should be 2 full months tax left on the car when you return to Eire.
Download the appropriate form from the DVLA website, and send it back to them along with the tax disc for your refund.
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:31 am

Mustang wrote:Both yourself and the vendor should fill in as approptriate. He should tare off the 'notoification of permanent export' slip (which is only about the size of a quarter of an A4 page IIRC), he sends this to the DVLA you keep the rest.

The VRO asked me to provide the notification of export slip when I registerted the RX-7 a number a years ago, I had to ask the seller to send it over to me following the sale, they wouldn't VRT the car otherwise. At the time, it didn't seem right to me but they insisted.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mustang » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:40 am

CJ wrote:
Mustang wrote:Both yourself and the vendor should fill in as approptriate. He should tare off the 'notoification of permanent export' slip (which is only about the size of a quarter of an A4 page IIRC), he sends this to the DVLA you keep the rest.

The VRO asked me to provide the notification of export slip when I registerted the RX-7 a number a years ago, I had to ask the seller to send it over to me following the sale, they wouldn't VRT the car otherwise. At the time, it didn't seem right to me but they insisted.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

CJ

Sounds like you were dealing with some jobsworth (who didn't actually know their job) CJ, similar to the irish system you have to leave 'some paper' with the vendor, You can't expect them to hand over the car and every bit of paper associated with it. There are various ethical and security reasons why this is a bad idea. The person you dealt with in the VRO was wrong. It is the vendors duty to fill in the declaration of permanent export and send to DVLA -as per the instructions on the form. The DVLA and revenue have this relationship/system well defined and both know what is required of them.
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:48 am

Mustang wrote:The DVLA and revenue have this relationship/system well defined and both know what is required of them.

Apparently not in all cases! Thanks for the clarification.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Muad_dib77 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:56 pm

I'm actually going to try and keep it on the UK plate for a month or 2... 6months tax remaining on it - and my insurance company isn't too fussed..
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Muad_dib77

Postby CJ » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:07 pm

Muad_dib77 wrote:I'm actually going to try and keep it on the UK plate for a month or 2...

Good luck with that!

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Muad_dib77 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:23 pm

CJ->

You hearing stories that peeps are getting stopped with the non-irish plates as well?

See the ultimate plan is to gut the car and use it for parts- which means paying the VRT would significantly up the cost of the parts.. hence the "trying to push it a wee bit".
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Muad_dib77

Postby Mustang » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:25 pm

CJ wrote:
Muad_dib77 wrote:I'm actually going to try and keep it on the UK plate for a month or 2...

Good luck with that!

CJ

Agreed. I believe it is a common misconception that 'sure once it's taxed in the UK, it'll be grand if the cops/revenue stop you sure it's all kosher'. The reality is that the insuarnce company are insuring a car not a tax disc so they don't care if it's taxed or not. The cops /revenue are only interested in the tax you pay (or try to avoid paying) in IRELAND. They couldn't care less if it has a UK tax disc or not.
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Muad_dib77 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:28 pm

Mustang wrote:
CJ wrote:

Good luck with that!

CJ

Agreed. I believe it is a common misconception that 'sure once it's taxed in the UK, it'll be grand if the cops/revenue stop you sure it's all kosher'. The reality is that the insuarnce company are insuring a car not a tax disc so they don't care if it's taxed or not. The cops /revenue are only interested in the tax you pay (or try to avoid paying) in IRELAND. They couldn't care less if it has a UK tax disc or not.

oh..right..boobs.

I'd have to avoid getting stopped so...ie - not have it on the road..
bah humbug.

Best scenario is that I can declare it off the road after just 5 days.
I'll have to make sure that happens..
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Muad_dib77

Next

Return to Other Cars