finally got my renewal with Quinn. +45% !!!

Compare and discuss insurance quotes here (Registered users only)

Moderator: Moderators

finally got my renewal with Quinn. +45% !!!

Postby mcgon1979 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:45 pm

Was paying 860 last year and the year before.
nothing changed in the past 12 months, no claims nothing. quote now is 1300euro. rang them up and they said it just the market and all insurance has gone up and the FTO is a rare car...
well lads, screw that. unless I find something well under 1k in the next few weeks Im gonna not insure it and stick it up for sale for whatever I can get and buy an old impreza or something. lame. very lame.
Ma olen kaine!
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby karlf » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:09 pm

Go online and do a quote up on the quinn website. In my experience it works out cheaper. Put in all the same details (change your name if you want but I dont think that will make a difference). I got a cheaper quote on-line than I did for my renewal for the last two years. You could try Aaran(01-4782020 try these first, a friend highly recommends them) Mike Murphy(supposed to be good for performance cars), Britton but I still think going direct to the insurance company is your best bet. (no broker fee's to pay) A lot of places wont touch FTO's for some reason well for me anyway. The only quotes I could get were with quinn from their website or with a broker insured through quinn (nearly twice the price though).
I'm 27, 6 years NCB and a full drivers liceince, I started the year on a 1.8 gs auto for €548 changed to a 2.0 Gpx auto with 8 months left on policy, it went up €85 for the rest of the year. Going by that it would be about €660ish for a full year.
**EDIT**
Thats for TPFT with NCB protected.
karlf
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby Bernard » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:24 pm

McGon, if your quote went up 10% I'd say it's a rip off... but 45%.

A 45% increase warrants a call to the ombudsman.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:34 pm

If you had a crash, even though you have a protected bonus, they will not apply any renewal discount to your policy.... I checked that out when I last tipped my bumper, I was thinking of just claiming for it, but decided against because of this!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby mcgon1979 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:54 pm

Dave wrote:If you had a crash, even though you have a protected bonus, they will not apply any renewal discount to your policy.... I checked that out when I last tipped my bumper, I was thinking of just claiming for it, but decided against because of this!

yeah, it says on my quote 197.50cent of your renewal is for past claims or convictions.

my question is this, why do I bother paying for "protected no claims" if my policy still increases. btw, I did not notice this note in my last renewal in march 2008. the tip I had was in august 2007.
If I had not protected my no claims, would this figure be more? whats the point of no claims protecting (at an extra 100euro or so a year) if your policy says "7 years no claims. - 1 year since last claim" DOH? Am I missing it here? getting a bit angry that I'll need to sell my car over this sh1te. any advice appreciated. does ombudsman have an email, maybe I should put it all in a letter?

EDIT: just emailed the ombudsman the whole story. When I spoke to him after my claim in august 2007, he said my insurance should NOT increase at renewal time due to the claim because I am paying a premium to protect my no claims bonus. He told me to ring him if it increased. In march 2008 it was identical 860. however this year its gone to 1300, so I emailed him the story. see what he says.
Ma olen kaine!
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:06 pm

McG - Have you tried Travellers (St Pauls) through a broker for a quote?
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby mcgon1979 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:21 pm

Myfeckin FTO wrote:McG - Have you tried Travellers (St Pauls) through a broker for a quote?

http://www.stpaultravelers.ie/ website not working...

I rang glennon brokers and they checked everything available apparently. only XSdirect quoted. yeah right? what a sham.

if I don't get a call from ombudsman ar 12pm on monday I'll ring him.
btw I put my GF on my insurance to see if it made a difference to the new quote and went from 1300 to 1100. still too much. not paying over 1k. they want me to go TPFT or drop my no claims protection. whats the point in even being insured then. fcuk it. I think the "includes 197euro for past claims or convictions" is a rip off given I pay 100 extra a year to keep my no claims.
Ma olen kaine!
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby MY-JAP-MISTRESS » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:29 am

im with direct line and mine came down £200 this year
MY-JAP-MISTRESS
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby miss-enzo » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:07 pm

according to the website mine is goin up again this year even tho im 25 a month after my renewal and i will have 5yrs no claims this year.... ill be emailing the Irish Insurance Federation AGAIN this year about them!
My FTO is for sale viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12725
miss-enzo
My other car's an FTO...as well
My other car's an FTO...as well

Postby jayod12b » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:28 pm

Got my renewal from quinns few weeks ago,
Dropped 10euro from the year before
1060 euro

Age 29
11yrs with them,few of those as a name driver,
And no claims.

Rang and asked why isnt it dropping more was told world economy and insurance has gone up everywhere,

So said rite so good luck and i rang every number i could find,

Only place i gota quote from was excess direct with me paying the first 4 grand

Still with quinns :(
Not easy with an fto :(
jayod12b
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby Bernard » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:43 pm

What am I doing right?

€650 fully comp. with Zurich through Britton.
30, full NCB and a full licence since '01.

Could it be location?

I'm in county Limerick and keep her garaged.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TopCat » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:41 am

You been with zurich long bernard? I think the main problem now is that a lot of places won't do new policies. My policy went up by about €200 when changing from mayo to limerick. That being said, mine was under €700 this year with quinn, tpft. Think i was very lucky and renewal came up before the general increase apparent this year.
TopCat
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby mcgon1979 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:09 pm

I also notice the standard EXCESS on Quinn policies has jumped from 190euro to 300euro this year....

no word from ombudsman... lame.
Ma olen kaine!
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby Black Magic » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:05 pm

Not trying to rub anyones noses in it but I dont know how I got so lucky this year either.

Im 23, driving a year, & only have full licence since Sept08.

Quinn insured me for 1050 on a GR (orginally they thought it was a GPX and it was the same price).

You should all make complaints, the more the better...
Black Magic
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby colm_mcm » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:07 pm

Black Magic wrote:Not trying to rub anyones noses in it but I dont know how I got so lucky this year either.

Im 23, driving a year, & only have full licence since Sept08.

Quinn insured me for 1050 on a GR (orginally they thought it was a GPX and it was the same price).

You should all make complaints, the more the better...

Which company was this with?

(Jaysus, 3000 posts - how the hell did that happen?)
colm_mcm

Postby Black Magic » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:11 pm

Quinn, its TPFT

I did a quote on the internet first before I rang & it was more expensive than what they gave me on the phone.

Doesnt make sense...
Black Magic
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby mcgon1979 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:12 pm

Got my quote down to 995euro fully comp protected by changing the address (from my parents house where its been for years, to my apartment) and also put the partner (age 30) on the policy. dropped approx 300euro. not too bad. still though... I don't like the fact that 197euro of my renewal is due to past claims, even though I have 7 years full no claims protected. the one small claim I had is costing me 20% of my renewal per year.
Ma olen kaine!
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby colm_mcm » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:14 pm

what's the craic with putting someone else on your policy as a named driver? Lets say I put my mother as a named driver on the FTO (late 50's, one million years no claims etc) would that make my insurance go down then? If you keep adding ladies to the policy does it keep getting cheaper?

Just tried this with Quinn, made no difference to the premium. quote came out at 1899. (1350 tpf&t) there's no way I'm paying that much.
Last edited by colm_mcm on Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
colm_mcm

Postby Bernard » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:17 pm

@ McGon
I take it this means your keeping it?

colm_mcm wrote:
(Jaysus, 3000 posts - how the hell did that happen?)

You do tend to rattle on... :wink:
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mcgon1979 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:30 pm

Well I have no choice really Bernard, I doubt I'd get 6k for it if I sold it. 6k if Im lucky, and its a spotless example of a GPvR with just springs and exhaust done. so would prefer to keep it rather than give it away. My goal was to get a quote under 1k, so I guess I have that now.. just.... still will chase them up on loading me 197euro for the claim even though I pay an extra 120euro a year to protect against claims. we'll see.

I also tried adding another female onto my policy, it went up... so it only works for one person, and generally only civil partner or spouse, not your mother. they mus know the mother trick :) :)
Ma olen kaine!
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby soc » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:12 pm

Maybe Sean Quinn is trying to slyly recoup some of the 0.5bn euro he lost on the Anglo CFD debacle... :roll:
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby mcgon1979 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:43 pm

soc wrote:Maybe Sean Quinn is trying to slyly recoup some of the 0.5bn euro he lost on the Anglo CFD debacle... :roll:

u think? :lol:
Ma olen kaine!
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby mcgon1979 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:33 pm

Watchdog criticises insurance price hikes
Friday March 13 2009

CONSUMER representatives have slated the sharp increases in insurance premiums seen over the last year as "blatant profiteering" at a time when the costs of such cover should have fallen.

Home insurance is up 16pc in the past year even though building costs are falling.

And car insurance prices are up 8pc even though a steep fall in the number of fatal accidents should be driving premiums down. Health insurance costs have also risen, and are up nearly 21pc in the past year, largely driven by the new government levy on health cover, and rising health costs.

Consumers Association of Ireland Chief Executive Dermott Jewell condemned the price hikes "There is a massive amount of advertising going on in the industry. Hibernian Aviva alone is paying €40m to have its name over the door of a stadium, and it's the consumer who ends up paying," he said.

Road Safety Authority figures show 2008 was the safest year on the roads since records began, with fatalities at 279.

The Irish Insurance Federation claimed that while fatalities were down last year, the number of motor claims had risen 12pc to 300,000 in 2007.

Home insurance costs were also up as the industry had faced its biggest ever payout after the countrywide flooding last August led to €96m worth of damage, a spokesman said.

- Aideen Sheehan, Consumer Correspondent
Ma olen kaine!
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby mcgon1979 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:11 am

from 1300euro to 830 in 2 weeks.

letter to ombudsman, letter to IIF. IIF guy rang me to inform me quinn would remove the loading for my claim 2 years ago. Renewal didn't go up last year, and I think its unfair adding on 20% to my renewal this year for the claim in 2007 even though my full no claims was protected. anyway, long story short, changed address, added on partner, and letters to IIF and ombudsman eventually got it down to 830. cheaper than last year. writing letters works.
Ma olen kaine!
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby Bernard » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:22 am

With all the bad economic news these days it's great to hear someone getting a good result.

Of course you shouldn't have had to fight for it :roll:

Still, fantastic news. Well done :smt023
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Motor Insurance