Changing rear speakers

FTO tips and tricks

Moderator: Moderators

Changing rear speakers.

Postby CJ » Wed Aug 13, 2003 8:32 am

zinedan wrote:does anyone know how to change the back two speakers?It looks simple enough but have trouble removing the covers for the 4 screws.

Its a simple enough job (kinda), you need to take out the rear seat, there are two bolts that need to be undone for
for the upright section. You should then have access to remove the black plastic cover that surrounds the speakers, you'll see what I mean when you're doing it.

1. Use hooks underneath to remove horizontal seat section
2. The vertical section is secured with two bolts that are screwed to the chassis, these are visable on removing horizontal section
3. When you've taken this out, you will be able to see under the black plastic facia surrounding the speakers. There are screws here that you will need to remove,
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Changing rear speakers

Postby Muad_dib77 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:03 pm

If you've ever replaced the 6x9 hatshelf speakers in your FTO you'll know what I'm on about.
The screw closest to the rear window are so close the it is impossible to get a screw driver near them - even those small tubby ones wont fit.

Here's my solution to the problem.

First take your drill and drill out the screws from underneath.

It's a bit fiddley but if you lie on your back with your legs on the center console and your head in the boot it's doable.

Use a small metal drill bit.

(Bonus hint: wear glasses - sun glasses will do.. this will protect you from getting metal spliters in your eye)

Once you've drilled through the screws it's a simple matter of pushing on the speaker magnet and the speaker will pop out (provided you've removed the hatshelf and the other screws of course).

Now you will undoubtfully want to fit another set of speakers - and the problem remains..A screw driver just wont fit.
However - A wrench will!

Go to your nearest homebase, maplins, atlantic or similar - and pick up some small washers, nuts and machine screws. (I bought 260 in a box for a fiver!).

Fit the speaker in the hole.
Put a washer on the screw.
pop it up through the mouting hole from underneath & keep a finger on the screw from underneath.
Stick another washer on the bit that protrudes though the speaker mouting hole (this washer MUST NOT touch the rubber-ring surrounding the speaker membrane)
Slip on the nut and tighten it with your fingers, once the nut is on it's safe to let go of the screw from underneath.
Repeat this procedure with the remaing holes.
To tighten the screws fully all you need to do now is to place the wrech on each of the nuts - hold it in place and tighten the screw from the boot.

Once the hatshelf is back in it looks tidy - if you use short machine screws nobody will be able to see them.
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Back speaker instructions with pictures

Postby StewyD32 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:51 pm

Noticed there is quite a few people in the past and myself that asked about the back speakers so here are the instructions with pictures for future reference.

First you need this as the screws are too close to the back window for a conventional screw-driver.
Got this for about 10 euro with other accessories

To unscrew the speakers you need to remove the back seats (both the vertical and horizontal sections)
Remove the horizontal section by pulling on the 2 (one left and one right) levers as shown below and will detach

This will reveal screws and will need to unscrewed to take off the vertical section of the seat. (again one left side and one right side)

When the vertical section is removed it will reveal 2 screws for the back shelf. Remove these and you are at your speakers.

And if your speaker covers are a little rusty now is a good time to do them up :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Silver 97 Mirage Asti V coupe
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Return to FTO Knowledgebase