hello everyone

Say hello to other forum members

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with the forum rules before posting!

hello everyone

Postby funkygreendogs » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:00 am

About time I introduced myself! Have my FTO a year now, but only now just starting to get into modding/repairs/maintance of it myself. Got new brake discs & pads from camskill, painted my brake callipers red and sprayed the alloys white. Car is going fine apart from some recently noticed rust on the rear brake disc on the drivers side... viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13807

Heres some pics

I hope to fit a 7" touch screen computer at some stage and get rid of that old factory installed radio which is just sitting there. Other than that I'll probably try and fit clear indicator bulbs if I get around to it and if i win the lotto I might get some cream leather interior! Any other suggestions for easy mods?
funkygreendogs
1st gear
1st gear

Re: hello everyone

Postby goz_83 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:15 am

flyeyes.co.uk and you can blacken all your lights. I would go for tinted black side light repeaters if i were you, rather than clear.

Looks like you're missing a couple of bolts, but you probably already know. What model is your fto?
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby funkygreendogs » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:14 am

nice one, yea ive seen a few with blacked out lights at the back would look savage.

Haha no I am not missing any bolts I took the pic when the paint was drying out, It took a couple of coats before I was finished with it

Its the GR 2.0 V6 non-mivec FTO but I still love her - Have wanted to get this car for years, used to pick this car back in the day playing Gran Turismo when I was a young lad. Was pretty tough to get it insured, no where seems to do it these days, I just persisted and after going through a few different phone operators my current insurer (quinn direct) finally agreed to insure me. Is that still the same set up? How much do you guys spend on insurance?
funkygreendogs
1st gear
1st gear

Postby goz_83 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:34 pm

The black tinted lights you. Normally see will be sprayed. The fly eyes are different and don't mess with the amount of light coming from the lenses. It's actually the same stuff they use on window advertising. From the outside, you see the advert and from the inside you see out via the tiny little holes. It's a cheap mod and easy to install, but I recommend waiting for a warm day. I have the fogs and indicators covered too.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dragonheart » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:01 pm

If its the same type of material as window tint and other window products I wouldn't install on a warm day!
Those type of things should be installed on a day with no sun, and no harm if theres a light mist. The area should be kept wet so the film can be moved around or adjusted if its not put on properly. If the area is hot the film will stick to it and the gluey substance on the inside will come off the back of it and stay on the area you're fitting it to if you try to peel it off. If you get bubbles or anything then its easy to readjust it once it'll come off easy. I've tinted windows before and put vinyl on cars for GAA matches and stuff and heat is not a good companion when doing it! Now if you get it first time great but I've never managed it first time no matter how small the item I was putting on.
So in other words don't install it on the 23rd of May or the 2nd of September....
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby funkygreendogs » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:47 pm

Have any of ye guys put on underspray on the undercarrige for rust? Im worried now that the brake disc rusting could be the least of my worries. How much would that cost and where would be the best place somewhere around the west of ireland to get something like that done?
funkygreendogs
1st gear
1st gear

Postby Bernard » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:33 pm

Undersealing has been mentioned a few times, search is your friend ;)

http://www.fto-ireland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=13122
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby goz_83 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:27 pm

Dragonheart wrote:If its the same type of material as window tint and other window products I wouldn't install on a warm day!
Those type of things should be installed on a day with no sun, and no harm if theres a light mist. The area should be kept wet so the film can be moved around or adjusted if its not put on properly. If the area is hot the film will stick to it and the gluey substance on the inside will come off the back of it and stay on the area you're fitting it to if you try to peel it off. If you get bubbles or anything then its easy to readjust it once it'll come off easy. I've tinted windows before and put vinyl on cars for GAA matches and stuff and heat is not a good companion when doing it! Now if you get it first time great but I've never managed it first time no matter how small the item I was putting on.
So in other words don't install it on the 23rd of May or the 2nd of September....

The fly eyes material doesn't stick properly until a heat gun or dryer is gone over it a few times. You can take it off and fix it up. It doesn't form bubbles as the air just passes through the holes. It is hard to get it to stick in cold weather.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dragonheart » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:39 pm

Ah so its a totally different material then is it? Makes sense I suppose with the bubbles not forming cause of the holes in it, didn't think of that.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:28 pm

They spray something onto it before they post it and they say it should applied as soon as possible, as the residue helps adhesion, or something to that effect.Its very easy to work with and would recommend it. One note of caution: upon removal (5 years later), it "could" remove the lacquer from some lights. That wouldn't bother me, because they can just be polished out anyway.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to Introduce yourself