Chat

If you've any comments on what might make fto-ireland.com a better site, post them here.

Moderator: Moderators

Chat

Postby 5803emma » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:36 am

Hi Ciaran,

Just a thought, and I'm not really qualified to comment, seeing as I'm rarely on this site, but all of the members are really helpful and seem genuinely nice, I think a chat feature like that on gmail and facebook might be a beneficial addition to the site, this way information could be shared much faster and members could get to know each other better. This is contingent on it being even possible to do that! Computers are not my forte!! :?

Keep up the good work!
5803emma
Speed freak
Speed freak

Re: Chat

Postby CJ » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:34 pm

I integrated a chat (Shoutbox) feature into another forum and its rarely (if ever used), the novelty appears to wear off quickly. Instant Messaging clients and the like have pretty much killed off the need for a web based chat function, chances are the banter would be of the 'idle' type as opposed to anything constructive.

I'll open this one up for discussion so as others can share their thoughts on the subject.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby colm_mcm » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:10 pm

I reckon it's handy to have a record of queries and solutions. on a social level, maybe a chat feature might be attractive to some, but to be fair, just get someone's MSN or Yahoo address if you want to be able to chat!
colm_mcm

Postby Baldrick » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:11 pm

colm_mcm wrote:I reckon it's handy to have a record of queries and solutions.

I agree wholeheartedly. The beauty of this board is the continuity of problem to solution. A chat feature would probably detract from this i.e. solution would be achieved through chat and would not benefit other members.
Growing old is mandatory... Growing up is optional.
Baldrick
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby optical illusion » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:59 pm

Have to agree with CJ here.
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to Suggestions, announcements and updates