PDA devices

A forum for IT related questions

Moderator: Moderators

PDA devices

Postby soc » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:48 pm

I'm looking to get a PDA or something along those lines. It needs to be small, light and easy to use - I'll primarly use it to track appoinments, meetings, etc .

Anyone got any decent recommendations?
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Muad_dib77 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:21 pm

I have an ipaq (hp) h210 - it's an older model does the job super fine.. has bluetooth and stuff - works with my 4gb sd card.. I have yet to find something I can't do with it..

Pretty reasonable on eBay..
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby adrian » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:31 pm

I have a Dell Axim x51v. Super little yoke!
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby soc » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:03 am

I just ordered a Palm Z22 - pretty basic but it seems to have what I need (basically to keep track of appointments/tasks/etc) - only 120 euro
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:35 am

If you use a calandaring function in Lotus Notes or Outlook, you can synchonise it via bluetooth to a half decent mobile phone - works well for me (Notes + Nokia E50).

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby soc » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:46 am

CJ wrote:If you use a calandaring function in Lotus Notes or Outlook, you can synchonise it via bluetooth to a half decent mobile phone - works well for me (Notes + Nokia E50).

CJ

Yea, I thought about that but I need something that's small and mobile phone like in size but allows me to quickly enter in new tasks or appointments on the fly - the stylus on the palm should facilitate that (I hope)
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby RussMan » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:10 pm

I hate them all... i'm going to start up my own site www.killyourpda.com

i'm currently using an XDA Orbit, before that a Qtek9000, before that an HP PDA / GSM device (can't remember model) ....

i recon pen and paper.... I spend at least 1 hour of my day pissing and moaning about my phone, think of how clean my fto would be if only i had a decent phone.

Sorry rant over :roll:
???? - Ferrari F355 Berlinetta
2007 Nissan 350z GT
2004 Nissan 350z GT
1998 Mitsubishi FTO GPvR
1997 Mazda Mx-3
RussMan
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby pergau » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:45 pm

I have a Treo 750 and it is the Best PDA that I have ever had - despite it running Windows Mobile.
I sync my calendar and contacts and use it for keeping tasks and notes etc. You can use it to sync (offline) mail as well but I don't bother.
I could use it to do word and excel but there's not that much writing that you can do on a PDA.
I also use it to read ebooks and play a few solitare like games so I always have something to read or do if I am stuck waiting anywhere.
The only gripe that I have is that the battery only lasts for about three days.

I had a HP IPAQ PDA 6350 before that and it was great but I think the Treo is nicer. I tried the fullscreen version of the IPAQ but it was utterly useless.

I had a nokia E60 or something like that for three weeks (actually I had 3 in 3 weeks) and I got rid of it as it was crashed at least twice a day but it was a decent device when it was between crashes.

I had a Sony Ericsson P90 and then a P900 and they were great but slightly awkward - Mrs Pergau has the P900 now and loves it.

Before that I have had Palms and they were brilliant
BUT
If you want a PDA you may as well get one that is a phone as well - there's no use in carrying around two devices.

You could also consider a blackberry but I think that, unless you need access to email all the time, you would be better off with a PDA.
pergau
Nothing comes between me and my FTO
Nothing comes between me and my FTO

Postby soc » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:47 pm

RussMan wrote:i recon pen and paper.... I spend at least 1 hour of my day pissing and moaning about my phone,

Tried the pen and paper route - pain in the ar$e carrying a diary around everywhere - and when I remember to write stuff down I just end up with a list of small stuff that never gets done cause I keep forgetting in lieu of more obvious things and I need reminders as well so I'm hoping this pda will be my new best friend....
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:06 pm

I cancelled my order for the Palm with Expansys cause they couldn't give me a delivery date due to problems with their supplier..... :shock:

I'm gonna check out argos as they have the Palm Tungsten E2 and HP IPAQ. I'm also gonna check out the Treo so (like you say Pergau) I only have one device ....
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Muad_dib77 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:09 pm

Luzerntech mate..

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search. ... arch&fgtp=

or:

http://www.luzerntech.com/

I have bought stuff from them in the past and can confirm that they're quite fast and very efficient..
Last edited by Muad_dib77 on Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Muad_dib77

Postby soc » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:14 pm

It never ceases to amaze me how sh!t I am at choosing this kind of stuff... not unsual you might think, until you find out I work in IT...... :oops:
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:31 pm

Got a palm Z22 today very simple device but really effective if you only need something to help you track appointments and tasks.

I got it from elara.ie - 2 day delivery - excellent online shopping experience -
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Muad_dib77 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:34 pm

Have heard good things about elara before - but haven't tried them myself yet..
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Muad_dib77

Postby RussMan » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:14 pm

i've an HTC 2125 sitting in the gaff gathering mould if anyones interested.... needs screen replaced due to me lossing the head one day but anyones welcome to it!
???? - Ferrari F355 Berlinetta
2007 Nissan 350z GT
2004 Nissan 350z GT
1998 Mitsubishi FTO GPvR
1997 Mazda Mx-3
RussMan
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby gabico » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:12 pm

I had a few pdas over the time.
Started with a sony clie sj33: great little unit with palm os 4 - very stable.
Moved to windows PPC with an Ipaq 2210: handy but not enough power.
Then axim x5 and a few ipaqs 5550 (I had 4 of them: 3 from work and one mine which I still have but I don't use it too often). The 5550 is very powerful and stable - one of the best pdas ever made. Two weeks ago I sold my Fujitsu Siemens N520: powerful with incorporated GPS(very handy) and Wifi.
Right now Ive settled with a Palm LifeDrive (4Gb internal + Sd, WiFi, BT, PalmOS 5). Is a great powerful unit, but has some issues with the OS when you install many applications. I'm using it for navigation (with a BT receiver), watching movies/ listen music when I'm on the move (it is really good for movies with a clear screen and you don't have to encode the movies from you PC it plays them perfectly in real time) and organizer. My gf start using it couple of weeks ago to read books on it and shes very happy with it.
I tried phone+pda combination (xda minis, p900) but I don't like it. You have to charge them very often and it is not comfortable to carry it in your pocket and to speak on the phone. I prefer a good simple phone(have my k750i for more than a year and still happy with it) and a separate pda for the rest.
The pdas are really helpful once you get used to them. The Zire should be more than enough for taking notes/organizer.
gabico
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Return to Computers and IT