Spring Compressor

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Spring Compressor

Postby soc » Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:52 pm

My younger brother needs to change the shocks on his 1991 VW Polo for the NCT. As he is trying to do it on a budget I said I'd have a go at changing them for him. It's a pretty straight forward bolt out and bolt in job (right?) but I need a spring compressor - anyone know where I could hire one from???

Cheers
Shane
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby kevinod » Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:30 pm

Haven't done this myself, but my brother/father have on various cars. I think its fairly straight forward alright.

Spring compressor, you basically need a bolt with hooks on it, one each side of the spring and twist the bolt so it'll bring the 2 hooks together on each side, thus compressing the spring. I think there's a slightly better, yet similar tool for it but not sure, it holds the hooks apart so they don't end up coming together like they can do with 2 separate hook things.

I'd you prob couldn't hire one (or am I wrong?) and even if you could it would be as cheap to buy one of those things I'd say.

Kev.
kevinod

Postby CJ » Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:43 pm

Check this out and remember to be careful with the compressed spring, it could easily take your head off if the tension suddenly drops. By the way, Motorway in Blanch sell a set of compressors for 20 odd quid, I'm sure you'll pick up a similarly priced set in other factors around the place.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby soc » Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:57 am

CJ wrote:Check this out and remember to be careful with the compressed spring, it could easily take your head off if the tension suddenly drops. By the way, Motorway in Blanch sell a set of compressors for 20 odd quid, I'm sure you'll pick up a similarly priced set in other factors around the place.

Ciaran

Cheers Ciaran,

I think I'll buy a set - I did hear alright that you need to be careful when taking off the spring - that's why I'd never try this without spring compressors. That said, it can't be that hard to do - looks like a simple case of bolt off, bolt on.

Cheers
Shane
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to FTO Technical