Fto exhaust diameter

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Fto exhaust diameter

Postby mivecrx » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:30 pm

Going to upgrade my exhaust to a stainless one, what diameter is best? Stock is 62mm, should I stick with that or increase it?
mivecrx
Have you seen my FTO tattoo?

Re: Fto exhaust diameter

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:32 pm

Can't see much of an advantage going with a larger bore exhaust - probably better to concentrate on keeping the flow as non restrictive as possible such as using a decat and even keeping the reasonators/mufflers etc to a minimum. Isn't the GPX exhaust already a larger bore than a GR exhaust? The flange from the Cat is certainly bigger.

Its really about removing the obstacles that prevent optimal air flow right from the induction through the engine and out through the manifold/exhasut system. Any bottleneck (such as a crappy cat or poor induction) will largely negate all your good work elsewhere.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby mivecrx » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:29 pm

I'm not sure about gr gpx bore differences, just interested in mivec models.
I know what you mean about making it as free flowing as possible, I intend to do that but was wondering if going to 70mm would free it up even more or just be overkill. 70mm is very popular on k20 Honda(s).

If I was to get a Mongoose downpipe it would be 63.5mm inside diameter so that wouldn't work well with a stock 62mm catback, in fact it would be terrible so that's why I thought going slightly bigger would help.
mivecrx

Postby Bernard » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:40 am

I got mongoose downpipes a few years back and never had a bother, granted I didn't do the fitting myself but still.
They'd hardly sell them if they'd cause problems?

Shameless self promotion From Youtube.com
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mivecrx » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:12 am

I don't mean it won't fit, it's just the inside diameter is the slightest bit bigger. I think I'll just go with a exhaust to match the mongoose downpipe size of 63.5mm(2.5").
mivecrx

Return to FTO Technical