The Price Of Perfection

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

Re: The Price Of Perfection

Postby goz_83 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:41 pm

new back box. they cut maybe a foot back from it.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby StewyD32 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:47 pm

Nice rasp off it. Is it their own make. I know some where that make them themselves.
Did they alter the bumper for them to fit?
Silver 97 Mirage Asti V coupe
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Postby goz_83 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:13 pm

StewyD32 wrote:Nice rasp off it. Is it their own make. I know some where that make them themselves.
Did they alter the bumper for them to fit?

Yeah it's their own, or atleast the backbox is. They use a company for lots of the tail pipes. I was gonna get the rectangular ones, but they would have taken 2 weeks to get them in, so i went for the ones i have. They cut the bumper and did a decent job of it.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:12 pm

Nice - sounds quite similar to the Blueflame quads.
Any pics of the pipe routing underneath?
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:40 pm

Myfeckin FTO wrote:Any pics of the pipe routing underneath?

Didn't take any. It's unchanged right up to the backbox, which looks a bit smaller, but shinier :) . It has p/side inlet & outlet wit d/side outlet. Can take a snap tomorrow underneath and post.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby ottostreet » Tue May 01, 2012 3:18 pm

I'll be getting something similar done, unless the GPX I decide to buy has an aftermarket exhaust on it. Very impressed with what I've seen of Souhans work.
ottostreet
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby Mitsubishi-Mental » Thu May 31, 2012 10:41 pm

Just read through this thread, and you've done a fine job on her, any more plans?
Wicklow Vtec Fighter
Mitsubishi-Mental
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby goz_83 » Thu May 31, 2012 10:55 pm

Yep. My real black leather seat trims arrived yesterday and will replace the blue/white leatherette. I will be leaving her in to be de-spoilered and fully resprayed too in original colour. This includes plenum and brake calipers. Body will be smoothed out and the little bits of rust will be treated too of course. Window tinting to be done aswell. Off the top of my head, I cant think of anything else. Oh...yeah I will also be getting a viper remote start alarm installed and i'm thinking I might get a good lambo door bolt on kit at some stage too, but haven't decided on that.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:56 pm

OK. So as I have already said, the car is in the body shop getting a bit of work done. Here is what I have on the menu:

Entire body de-rusted an made good.
boot delocked
boot de-spoilered (topmix spoiler sold)
front bumper registration block removed and plate lowered.
Full respray original icelle blue.
Alloys refurbed and sprayed white.
Calipers painted icelle blue.
Plenum painted silver.
All new brake dust shields installed and new greenstuff pads all round.
underbody derusted and weld repairs where needed. Fully undersealed.
Real black leather seat trims installed.
Windows tinted legal black shade.
OE spoiler sprayed (just in case i want to put it on).

Estimate time 2.5 weeks.
Cost includes everything but brake pads/shields/trims.
Circa €1700 (may be a bit more, as I have added little bits and pieces). I will add an early price list below, but I decided against one or two things.

Garage Quote (I had to ask for breakdown, but got it no problem)

1 removing rust,dents,de-locking boot,filling holes removing licence plate,blending skirting and full respray-----e900
2 paint calipers------e60 for all of them
3 paint plenum-------e25
4 instal reversing camera----e70 (camera supplied by client)
5 wheels repainting--- e30/wheel
6 rear brake discs installed---- e40 (supplied by client)
7 lowering springs-----e100 (supplied by client)
8 turbo timer------e30 (supplied by client)
9 install seats covers----e100 (supplied by client)
10 tinting film on side windows,rear one,sunroofand ssun strip on windscreen---e170

These guys have been really helpful and accommodating every step of the way. The main guy is George Duma and is a "try anything" kind of guy. His partner is a really sound guy and treats you like he's known you for years, but I can't even remember his name :oops:
He loves the FTO and wants one and is looking on DoneDeal everyday to find one. (sorry Stewy, he doesn't have 2.5k to spend. He also needs aircon for Romania).
This recommendation is long overdue, but here we go:

GVD AUTOS
Unit 14 Mulcahy Keane Ind Est
Greenhills Road
Walkinstown
Dublin 12

goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby StewyD32 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:09 pm

Great price for the re spray.
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Postby Bernard » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:34 pm

StewyD32 wrote:Great price for the re spray.

Too good if you ask me.

Have you seen examples of his work in the flesh?
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby goz_83 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:43 pm

Yes. He did the GR Gerry now owns (again). See pic below. Bumpers and opposite side quarter panel were sprayed. I have seen a few cars as i've dropped in and out of the shop. Some were partial spray jobs and most were full resprays. I was quite happy with the work and will be making sure a good job is done on my car. Cheap doesn't always mean low quality. For my success rate, I charge much lower than the industry standard, but I keep a busy clinic as a result, while most others have too much spare time, charging more, but earning less. I think the saying "stack em high, sell em low" is fitting here. At the next meet, I hope my gpx impresses.

Last edited by goz_83 on Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Bernard » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:51 pm

Good to hear, it goes to show that there are still a few bargains to be had.

Have you thought about fitting a CAI while you're getting all the work done?
It's a shame to have an induction kit without one...
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby goz_83 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:55 pm

Bernard wrote:Good to hear, it goes to show that there are still a few bargains to be had.

Have you thought about fitting a CAI while you're getting all the work done?
It's a shame to have an induction kit without one...

A What? Do you mean the hoses? Never heard of CAI.
Last edited by goz_83 on Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Bernard » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:58 pm

Cold air induction.

To channel cold air from outside directly at your filter.
People often reduce performance by adding aftermarket kits that remove the original ducting leaving you with a nice noise and little else.
Here's one I prepared earlier...
I was thinking the funnel would look nice in body colour.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Sebastian » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:08 pm

these guys are Romanian?
no1. manual GR 96 l no2. tip GR 95 l no3. manual Gpx 95 l no.4 manual Gpx 95 l no.5 manual Gpx 96 l no.6 tip GR 95 - in 2011 took a break from the FTO scene
Sebastian

Postby goz_83 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:25 pm

Ahhh. I see. Yes' I plan on doing that myself, but it will be discreet (not poking through the grille). The gx has one. Currently the feed is coming from the original air duct with a neoprene duct shoved into it and aimed at the induction kit.

@ Seb: Yes, Romanian. Really sound guys too.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby StewyD32 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:47 pm

Sorry for the little hijack of the thread but is there any rectangular CAI 's out there. I can only find the round ones and are too big for the preface lift bumper due to the centre lip at the grill.
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Postby Bernard » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:47 pm

Do you mean the funnel , the piping or both?
If it's just the funnel, I'd be inclined to nick some vacuum cleaner components from the missus and make your own if you can't source one.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby StewyD32 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:42 am

It's a bit late now. But when I was checking I couldn't for the life of me find any. Hijack over :D
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Postby goz_83 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:57 pm

The car was due to be finished this week, but the garage had a leak and two paint jobs were ruined. Unfortunately mine was one of them. Only a few more pieces needed coats, but they had to strip the paint and it's gonna be another week. I saw another car in the spray booth which had not been stripped and the roof was ruined from the leak. I took a snap of my car. It hurts, but it'll be worth it. I also decided to keep the wheels silver.

goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Chris_Heilong » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:10 pm

Its heartbreaking seeing the car in such a state but will be all the more satisfying when she has the new paint on and you can compare it to this picture :D
White 98 GX, HID lights, SS Exhaust, 17" BK racing Alloys, lowered Suspension, Veilside rear bumper, illuminated Door handles, Leatherette seats
Chris_Heilong
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby goz_83 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:16 pm

I dropped up a couple of fresh mivec decals for the car today. I will be collecting it Monday, or Tuesday at latest. The doors, boot and wheels need to be sprayed. After that, its a matter of putting it back together, tinting the windows and fitting the seat trims. Well, there's probably more. The car was covered with plastic sheeting and I only got a quick look at the paint work before I had to dash. I am waiting for my dust shields from camskill, so i will be bringing the car back in after they arrive to get them fitted, along with fresh pads.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Chris_Heilong » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:17 am

Damn man, the suspense is killing us. We need to see this bad boy back on the road. Would love to see it at the next meet up.
White 98 GX, HID lights, SS Exhaust, 17" BK racing Alloys, lowered Suspension, Veilside rear bumper, illuminated Door handles, Leatherette seats
Chris_Heilong

Postby goz_83 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:48 pm

I'm getting impatient now. 5 weeks today the car was left in. On Friday, I was told it would be ready for collection on Monday (today). I asked if he needed an extra day and the owner said he would call if he did. So we left it that I would be collecting today, or be called. Sent a text at 10ish this morning to check. No reply. Tried calling a couple of hours later....no answer. Had the auld lad drive me up, hoping it was ready. Had a peek in and I am shocked to say that I didn't see any change. The doors were still un painted. The right hand man came out to explain that they had compressor trouble. OK, fine, but why didn't I get told? I was a bit annoyed but kept my cool and asked that the head man call me later. I told him that the car was needed on Thursday the latest for a wedding on Friday. I was told not to worry that it will be ready on Wednesday for collection on Thursday. I will take him at his word and hope it comes true. If not, I will be a very unhappy customer. I promised my friend I would be driving him to his funeral....I mean..... wedding this Friday. Somehow I don't think he had the Zafira in mind.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

PreviousNext

Return to General FTO Discussion