Mobiles

Use this forum to discuss anything and everything non-FTO related

Moderator: Moderators

Mobiles

Postby kevinod » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:30 am

I'm thinking of changing my phone... I have a Motorola V3, but the battery life is pretty poor... 2 calls (reasonably short) and the battery is almost flat!

Was looking at a nice Samsung flip phone, but its battery stats looked poor too... Motorolas are the nicest looking phones by far but I'm more interested in battery life just at the moment. Whats good in the phone market these days? I have a Nokia 6120 I think it is from work which seems good...

Also, I don't rate myself as a big phone user by any means, and my monthly bill still ends up being around €50... I'm with O2, does anyone find Vodafone cheaper, or are they both more or less the same, they just structure their charges a different way?
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby Muad_dib77 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:46 am

I have a Nokia 1300 ..

No camera - no flips..

I can take calls
I can make calls
I can send sms
I can get sms

It cost 50euros - and I only spend like 20e on credit every 2nd month or so, sometimes even less..

Standby time approx 4-5days.. I have yet to run it flat even after being on the phone for over an hour after having it on standby for 3 days..

Phone is ugly but functional - having said that I now need to get one with bluetooth took hook up with me newly aquired pda with tom tom :-)
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Re: Mobiles

Postby soc » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:09 pm

kevinod wrote:I'm thinking of changing my phone... I have a Motorola V3, but the battery life is pretty poor... 2 calls (reasonably short) and the battery is almost flat!

Was looking at a nice Samsung flip phone, but its battery stats looked poor too... Motorolas are the nicest looking phones by far but I'm more interested in battery life just at the moment. Whats good in the phone market these days? I have a Nokia 6120 I think it is from work which seems good...

Also, I don't rate myself as a big phone user by any means, and my monthly bill still ends up being around €50... I'm with O2, does anyone find Vodafone cheaper, or are they both more or less the same, they just structure their charges a different way?

I have the 2nd gen V3 (after I smashed my 1st gen one) and I find the battery life is fine - standby is a few days and I've made loads of calls without draining the battery much
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Bernard » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:05 pm

Sony Ericsson seem to have the best battery life but there's a new Nokia either just out or about to be that looks excellent for the price, a 6288.

http://www.nokia.ie/link?cid=EDITORIAL_52368
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby baldtyres » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:30 pm

I have a contract with O2 called "active life 150" which never costs me more than €42 per month (that includes €6 wasted each month on insurance).
My previous bills cost around €80 to €100 before I signed to this "active life 150" business.
Obviously it could cost more per month if you natter like an unemployed chav.
I use my phone for business quite regularly every day so this €42 euro deal seems the business if you were to try it.
I'm surprised your Motorola's battery is giving hassle as my V300 is over 2 and a bit years old and will last 3 or more days with regular use. Maybe you just have bad look with your V3
Midlifecrisisinagpx
baldtyres
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby soc » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:16 pm

what about an apple iphone.....

http://www.apple.com/iphone/

;)
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby kevinod » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:23 pm

A long while back I heard that the Sony Ericssons were nice phones with lots of features, but they tended to fall apart fairly quickly. I guess the new ones would be better from that point of view?

Interesting with the other Motorola batteries, but this one is very slim so maybe its a smaller capacity... maybe just my battery has seen better days, and I should think about trying a new battery?

Apple iPhone I saw, won't be available in this country until pretty late in the year, not sure about elsewhere, but I reckon I'll prob end up buying one off ebay in about 2 years when their price comes down to reasonable levels! Some phone though!
kevinod

Postby pergau » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:20 pm

I've had a few Sony Ericssons - P900, P910, K750 and they were all brilliant (but I hate nokias so I'm biased). Mrs Pergau has my old P900 which is two and a half years old and still going but the battery is dying so she is being "upgraded" to my old P910.

From the guys in work I hear that the new K800s are supposed to have terrible battery life - hours rather than days. but the 750 looks nicer and is a better phone. However the camera on the 800 is very good quality.

I have a Treo 750 now and it's the best phone I've ever had but the battery life is only about two days.

P.S. I'm not really phone mad - I just wotk in IT.
pergau
Nothing comes between me and my FTO
Nothing comes between me and my FTO

Postby baldtyres » Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:29 pm

gfalls wrote:I have a Nokia 6680. Got it from 3. I pay €25 a month rental that includes 200 mins of call time to any mobile or any land line, anytime day or night. I've never yet had a bill over €25. Just can't seem to use up those 200 mins. And as for the battery? Best one I ever had, goes for days without needing a charge. Got to be the best deal anywhere in Ireland..!

That's a few €blaas cheaper than my deal with more minutes. I must look into that. Can't imagine a better deal available!
Midlifecrisisinagpx
baldtyres
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby kevinod » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:57 pm

gfalls wrote:I have a Nokia 6680. Got it from 3. I pay €25 a month rental that includes 200 mins of call time to any mobile or any land line, anytime day or night. I've never yet had a bill over €25. Just can't seem to use up those 200 mins. And as for the battery? Best one I ever had, goes for days without needing a charge. Got to be the best deal anywhere in Ireland..!

I called into a 3 shop today, have to say I was impressed with them, a real breath of fresh air against O2 and Vodafone! Phones looked excellent, services looked good (Prem highlights free, avail from @ 5:15 on Saturdays). As good if not better coverage than Vodafone, cos they use Vodafone where they don't have coverage themselves.

Anyway, dug out my bill from November. Used 1:39:18 (99 mins) and sent 86 texts, ok there was insurance on the bill too but it came to 60 quid. Same usage on 3 would have been covered by the €25 a month deal!
kevinod

Return to Off Topic