Came crawling back to mitsubishi!

Say hello to other forum members

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with the forum rules before posting!

Came crawling back to mitsubishi!

Postby holio » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:13 pm

Hi folks.
Just purchased a 2litre that im pretty sure is a non mivec (doesnt bother me) today.
Traded in my 96 bmw 323 got good value considering its only any good for scrap metal.
My previous car before the bmw was a 300bhp mitsi legnum vr4 2.5litre twin turbo, wretched looking but moved like nothing else.
Couple a questions if anyone can help me out.
Noticed today in the garage that upon cold start it was incredibly tappety, i assumed cause the fto and legnum engine are similar and most legnums are tappety untill warm that its a common thing. Would i be wrong thinking that or is it a sign of tappets on way out, it stopped after 5mins.
Anything i should look out for in particular with this car? Bmws are notorious for cooling problems an the legnum has figety an tempermental actice yaw control in the diff.
Any pointers are greatly appreciated.
The ONLY 95GR in shocking red with these specific faults.
holio
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Re: Came crawling back to mitsubishi!

Postby colm_mcm » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:10 pm

Search the forum for tappets, sometimes you can clean them up but replacement is the best option.

Non mivec aren't adjustable.

Camskill do them.
colm_mcm

Postby holio » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:52 am

Ta i will do.
Its in need of a little tlc and hope to find a few useful articles on here, hope to ad a few aswel and ad walkthroughs with pictures if its allowed here.
holio
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby MY-JAP-MISTRESS » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:00 pm

a engine flush and oil change should quieten down the tappets but really new ones would be best in the long term, had to get mine done the other year.
best thing about getting a non mivec fto is you will never be on this forum saying that your mivec aint working lol. good sound and bullet proof engine if looked after.
MY-JAP-MISTRESS
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby holio » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:15 am

Theres no service history at all with the car and the garage i bought it off swore blind they had serviced it when they got it but somehow doubt that.
Going into hospital next week for some minor surgery and will be out of work for 4weeks so hopin the last week im off ill get to do a few jobs on the car. Spot of welding underneath where rust has attacked the car and a full service, also hoping to give it a full detailing. Just noticed thi morning a small stain in the driveway and smells like coolant so gonna keep an eye on all fluids and oils till then and just use the work car mostly.
What oil are people using?
holio
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Sebastian » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:28 am

a few options there on the oil but the most common used is 10w40 Semi syntetic.

Browse the forum, in so many years there is plenty of info on it .

The tappet noise is a common thing on a non mivec engine.
Cheapest route is an oil change and an additive that you can buy from your local motor factor
a more expensive route is changing them or cleaning them if you have the knowledge
I've changed the tappets on one of my FTO's with brand new ones. have to say it made a difference in noise and driving .I wouldn't do it again to be honest , I'd rather spend the money on a mivec FTO 8)
no1. manual GR 96 l no2. tip GR 95 l no3. manual Gpx 95 l no.4 manual Gpx 95 l no.5 manual Gpx 96 l no.6 tip GR 95 - in 2011 took a break from the FTO scene
Sebastian

Postby holio » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:38 pm

A week into surgery recovery and cant see myself doing much with the car.
Still have my fingers crossed ill be able to do some things in my final week off.
Thinking of just cleaning the lifters instead of replacing, read a few articles and people seem to get good results from the cleaning of them. Hopefully ill be capable in 2 weeks.
holio
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Return to Introduce yourself