Timing Belt

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Timing Belt

Postby Wagalini » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:39 pm

I was driving my GPX today and the Power steering belt went. I stopped and checked it. I was 5 minutes away from a garage I know so I decided to try and make it there. I drive a further 100 meters and then the engine cuts out. I pull in and try once to restart her. She wouldn't start. I called the garage and they towed me the rest of the way there. Reading up on it now I should have just left her there and got her towed :(

Has this happened to anyone else? If the Timing belt is gone then all the valves could be gone. What could I be looking at here?

The mechanic took a look into the engine oil hole and said that the cam shaft is still turning. He's wants to replace the timing belt and see what happens before opening up and looking the valves.

I've checked a few other threads and I'll get the belt from CamSkill. It seems that there's only one belt for all FTO models now:
http://www.camskill.co.uk/m3b0s9p457/_MITSUBISHI_-_FTO_2_0_GR_GX_GPX_GPVR_(V6_DE3A)_-_SERVICING_PARTS_TUNING_SPARES_and_SERVICE_ACCESSORIES_-_Cambelt_Timing_Belt_-_FTO_GR_GX_2_0_V6_Non_Mivec_Engines

The Power steering belt, I'm not sure if I need it with or without Aircon?
http://www.camskill.co.uk/m3b49s583p0/Mitsubishi_FTO_Parts_Tuning_Spares_and_Accessories_MITSUBISHI_-_FTO_2_0_GR_GX_GPX_GPVR_%28V6_DE3A%29_-_SERVICING_PARTS_TUNING_SPARES_and_SERVICE_ACCESSORIES_-_FTO_Steering_-_Steering_Parts

The mechanic hasn't worked on an FTO before. Can anyone recommend someone good in Dublin that had done this and won't charge me through the roof?
Wagalini
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Re: Timing Belt

Postby d_dan » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:08 pm

Is it that it has snapped?
If so and you just want to try it ill have a belt you can use on Monday when I go up to pay couture auto a visit
d_dan
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Wagalini » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:01 pm

Hi d_dan.

The Power Steering belt has snapped. We're not sure about the Timing belt yet. The garage was closing up for the day when I got there so they didn't take any of the covers off to check.
Wagalini
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby d_dan » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:18 pm

ahh right not much I can do so sorry
d_dan
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Kace » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:42 pm

Wagalini wrote:The mechanic hasn't worked on an FTO before. Can anyone recommend someone good in Dublin that had done this and won't charge me through the roof?

In a word yes - Paul Nolan. Search on here for his number.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Wagalini » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:00 pm

Thanks anyway d_dan.

Kace, thanks for the info. I'll give him a ring Monday.
Wagalini
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby optical illusion » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:51 pm

Absolutely Paul Nolan. Drove from Tipp to see him last week - he's that good.
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby colm_mcm » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:52 am

Sounds like alternator belt snapped too?
Surely the mechanic could tell you if the timing belt was intact or not. Sounds like a cowboy
colm_mcm

Postby Wagalini » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:41 am

No the alternator belt is fine. The timing belt is covered and we didn't remove the cover so we dont know if it's gone too.

I've tried Paul Nolan on his mobile 086-264-9884 but I get a number not in service. Does anybody have another number for him? Maybe his address in Clonshaugh Industrial Estate too.

Thanks!
Wagalini
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby optical illusion » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:02 pm

PMd.
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Wagalini » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:00 am

Just an update.

The remains of the power steering belt cut one of the Crank angle sensor wires when it went. So that's why it wasn't starting. I got her towed to Paul Nolan's and said to replace all 3 belts along with fixing the sensor wiring.

Paul spotted that the belt had also wrapped itself around the Timing Belt cover where the crankshaft is. It melted off a bit of the cover and pieces of that went in under the timing belt. That caused the crankshaft to jump 180 degrees :o

I was VERY lucky that was all that went wrong and didn't have to get a new engine! Paul checked the rest out and luckily it was all ok :)

optical_illusion, thanks for your help getting in touch with Paul!
Wagalini
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Return to FTO Technical