Mini-ITX board won't power on?

A forum for IT related questions

Moderator: Moderators

Mini-ITX board won't power on?

Postby kevinod » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:57 am

Hi,

have a mini-itx board for my carputer project, but it won't power on. I have an ATX power supply for it which I know is working, but the fan on the PSU isn't even coming on when I plug it into the board and power it up.

Can anyone tell me what must be plugged into the board for it to power up? I have CPU & RAM onboard, that should be all I need to at least get a bit of power, right?

I have a Mini ITX M10000 board, which was working, and I now can't get anything out of it. I guessed the board must have died/blown or something, so I got an EPIA 5000 off ebay and I'm getting exactly the same results from that.

I have a hard drive, DVD drive, Lilliput touch screen, keyboard & mouse that I've tried plugging into the board too but no joy at all.

If anyone has any suggestions on things I could try please let me know!

Kev.
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby CJ » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:02 am

Is there is a power switch, how is it hooked up to the board (jumper connector?) Is it connected in correctly? I'd be getting the multimeter out to check for voltage on the board if all else failed...

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby kevinod » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:09 am

No power switch at the moment. The M10000 was working without one though...

As far as I know I had everything connected correctly, wasn't much I could go wrong with I reckon, everything had tabs or were shaped to only go in one way.

I got a manual with the 5000 board, which mentions that there's a jumper for resetting the CMOS, I might try resetting that, could it be causing me problems?
kevinod

Postby Muad_dib77 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:20 am

kevinod wrote:No power switch at the moment. The M10000 was working without one though...

As far as I know I had everything connected correctly, wasn't much I could go wrong with I reckon, everything had tabs or were shaped to only go in one way.

I got a manual with the 5000 board, which mentions that there's a jumper for resetting the CMOS, I might try resetting that, could it be causing me problems?

Yes - it could, it's unlikely though but a possiblity.

I'd double check the PSU
also try connecting a power switch, even if it did work in the past..
If your board has more than one ram slot - try moving your ram.

you sure you didn't let out the magic grey smoke? ;-)
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby kevinod » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:27 am

First of all when it didn't work I blamed the PSU, so bought another in Maplins. That didn't change anything, so I went back in and the guy tested it in front of me and it worked fine, so I have to presume its working right. I even bought the lead he used in the shop in case the power lead I was using was dodgy.

No magic smoke that I noticed anyway. :lol: I'll try popping into Maplins for a power switch on Thurs/Fri when I'm off work.
kevinod

Postby CJ » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:35 am

Power wise, I don't know if the ITX form factor operates in the same way as ATX, what I do know is an ATX board will not power up unless its connected to a power switch and the switch is turned on.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby kevinod » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:26 pm

Thanks guys, spot on as usual! :smt023 :smt038 Couldn't wait for Thurs/Fri once I discovered Maplins opened until 7 today, so ran in and got a great little kit - power switch, reset switch, power LED, HDD LED and 'speaker', all for just over 8 quid!

Plugged in the power to the M10000 board, and the power switch, clicked the switch and on it came! :D :D :D Doesn't explain why it worked before with no power switch, but sure it works now so I'm no too worried about!

Booted up off my RH9 disk, so I'm in business. Just need to install the Lilliput drivers, cos as soon as Xwindows starts loading I just see 'out of range' on the screen. I'll completely reinstall again though so I get dual booting with Windows for Evoscan.
kevinod

Postby CJ » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:45 am

Nice work, HTH.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Computers and IT