MK V Golf GTI

Discuss other marques here

Moderator: Moderators

MK V Golf GTI

Postby soc » Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:42 pm

All I can say is I want one 8) ....... but not at €40K + :cry:

Is it just me or are new car prices rediculously expensive?????
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:53 pm

I thought they were about 35K for a basic model - thats about as much as I'd want to pay for one.

Similar price to the type R CIvic - Seat Leon Cupra etc so not really bad value - certainly better value than the Focus STI 170 (circa 40K) and the RS Focus (50K +).

The best value Hot Hatch at the moment has to be the MINI Cooper S with 170BHP for 29K. Drove one last week in the search for a replacement car for the GF's. I was well impressed - the GF sadly was not. She wants a 1 series :cry:
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:05 pm

Myfeckin FTO wrote:I thought they were about 35K for a basic model - thats about as much as I'd want to pay for one.

Aye, 35K for the base model but lets be honest - if you're gonna get a car like this you want some of the extras - leather, 18's, xenons, etc. - the spec I'd want would cost 43K...... ouch!

The best value Hot Hatch at the moment has to be the MINI Cooper S with 170BHP for 29K. Drove one last week in the search for a replacement car for the GF's. I was well impressed - the GF sadly was not. She wants a 1 series :cry:

Agreed - mini cooper s seems like great value right now although I find it very strange saying that cause the car is so small and impractical and it's hardly a luxury car.... oh yea and only girls are allowed own one :wink:

the 1-series wouldn't do if for me at all - one of the ugliest cars on the road if you ask me. And at 28K for the basic 116i which is pretty under powered I'd say a bit of a rip off....
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mustang » Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:42 pm

Golf mark V GTI looks like a nice enough car and is generally regarded in the press as a return to form for VW, and a proper GTI....not before time. However the original ethos of a cheap, performance version of an everyday hatch back is gone. But I guess you could say that about all hot hatchs. So much for a 'peoples car'. Pricey alright! Ching Ching!

Shane wrote
Is it just me or are new car prices rediculously expensive?????

No it's not just you. Remember the simple rule of thumb...half the price of the car is accounted for by tax (VRT & VAT). :evil:

Shane wrote
Aye, 35K for the base model but lets be honest - if you're gonna get a car like this you want some of the extras - leather, 18's, xenons, etc. - the spec I'd want would cost 43K...... ouch!

Agreed buying an 'expensive' car on the cheap, i.e not finishing it off the way it should be, makes the owner look cheap, despite having shelled out a small fortune on the car. e.g. ~€40k BMW 3 series with plastic wheel trims....cheap skates! :?

MfFTO wrote
She wants a 1 series

:oops: Time to put the foot down MfFTO. Be a man :!:

Shane wrote
the 1-series wouldn't do if for me at all - one of the ugliest cars on the road if you ask me. And at 28K for the basic 116i which is pretty under powered I'd say a bit of a rip off....

Yep. It looks like the back of a bus, underpowered and overpriced.

Mustang

P.S. MfFTO perhaps you'd like to start a new topic 'suggestions for GF's new car' give us the budget and criteria, and we'll help you decide :wink:
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:07 pm

Mustang wrote:P.S. MfFTO perhaps you'd like to start a new topic 'suggestions for GF's new car' give us the budget and criteria, and we'll help you decide :wink:

And then you can go against your own judgement and the good judgement of others and buy a biscuit tin of a jamjar thats a good alternative for a skip :)

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:23 pm

Mustang wrote:Shane wrote

Yep. It looks like the back of a bus, underpowered and overpriced.

Mustang

P.S. MfFTO perhaps you'd like to start a new topic 'suggestions for GF's new car' give us the budget and criteria, and we'll help you decide :wink:

Hmm - Not that the 1 series would be my personal choice but I did prefer it to the new A3 and Golf which I also drove. I had a couple of hours in a 116 SE - if I was to go for one - it would need the SE spec with a set of 17's on a black 1 series. Its RWD as well and feels better to drive than any other family box I've driven recently.

What pisses me off is that its v hard to get a car that looks anything like as good as the FTO and has similar performance levels to my GPX manual for less than 40K.
Every car I test drove felt sh1te in comparision to my FTO afterwards though - theres a lot to be said for the performance and looks per € that you get with an FTO.

If anyone has any ideas on a new car for circa 30K - then let me know - There is a new 147 facelift just out - I may be tempted with a full spec black twinspark with red leather interior, splitter, sideskirts and a set of 17's. Just haven't seen a facelift in the flesh yet.

Other cars looked at have included A3 / Golf / Hyundai Coupe (new facelift) / Mini Cooper Conv & Cooper S / New A class (3Dr) / Seat Altea 2.0FSI (had a massive spec with full bodykit and 18's) - beginning to run out of options !
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:25 pm

CJ wrote:And then you can go against your own judgement and the good judgement of others and buy a biscuit tin of a jamjar thats a good alternative for a skip :)

CJ

I've already ruled out the Golf. :roll: Sorry Shane - GTI not included - I don't see the budget going to 35K +.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:03 pm

Myfeckin FTO wrote:
CJ wrote:And then you can go against your own judgement and the good judgement of others and buy a biscuit tin of a jamjar thats a good alternative for a skip :)

CJ

I've already ruled out the Golf. :roll: Sorry Shane - GTI not included - I don't see the budget going to 35K +.

In case theres any confusion on what I said, I was responding to Mustangs comment re. my recent Ford purchase ;)

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:55 am

CJ wrote:In case theres any confusion on what I said, I was responding to Mustangs comment re. my recent Ford purchase ;)

CJ

I didn't want to bring that episode up to be honest - how is the little tin bucket keeping then?
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:19 am

Myfeckin FTO wrote:I didn't want to bring that episode up to be honest - how is the little tin bucket keeping then?

Its grand, the best thing about it is the fact that it can carry 10 lenghts of 1/2" copper and a few bags of cement due to the fact that the rear seats drop forward, I had forgotten how useful that can actually be...

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mustang » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:27 am

MfFTO wrote
There is a new 147 facelift just out - I may be tempted with a full spec black twinspark with red leather interior, splitter, sideskirts and a set of 17's. Just haven't seen a facelift in the flesh yet.

I quite like the 147, the built quality seems to be a big improvement from the 156. That said I had a lend of a 147 1.6TS for a few days, and while I liked the look of it, etc, and it was definitely more refined than the 156, it left me feeling a bit underwhelmed, the driving experience was a bit detached. I much preferred the more involving drive of the 156. That said the 147 2L TS is probably a different prospect. Not sure about the face lift :? have not seen one in the flesh yet so the jury is still out...
Still I think the 147 is probably the best of the bunch.

Golf.....ploding, overweight, overpriced
New focus...really don't like the sloping rear hatch

MfFTO wrote
Seat Altea 2.0FSI (had a massive spec with full bodykit and 18's) -

That's the people carrier/hatch back that seat are calling a saloon. Oh dear, I take back what I said, the BMW 1 series is king in comparison to this!

MfFTO wrote
Other cars looked at have included A3 / Golf / Hyundai Coupe (new facelift) / Mini Cooper Conv & Cooper S / New A class (3Dr) / Seat Altea 2.0FSI (had a massive spec with full bodykit and 18's) - beginning to run out of options !

Quite a diverse bunch of cars. Did you drive the hyundai coupe? For what it's worth I like the look, all the engines seem a bit pointless though.

Buy the alfa you know you want to!
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:29 am

CJ wrote:
Myfeckin FTO wrote:I didn't want to bring that episode up to be honest - how is the little tin bucket keeping then?

Its grand, the best thing about it is the fact that it can carry 10 lenghts of 1/2" copper and a few bags of cement due to the fact that the rear seats drop forward, I had forgotten how useful that can actually be...

CJ

That and the fact you don't have to worry about ruining the carpet or bothering with even cleaning the thing on a regular basis. Its the kind of car that if your hands were dirty you wouldn't think twice about wiping them on the seats. :lol:
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby kevinod » Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:55 pm

Myfeckin FTO wrote:Its the kind of car that if your hands were dirty you wouldn't think twice about wiping them on the seats. :lol:

Except for the fact its his wifes car, I'm sure she would not be amused!! :lol:

Kev.
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby Mustang » Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:58 am

Shane wrote
All I can say is I want one ....... but not at €40K +

OK, I saw a golf GTI on a dealer forcourt over the weekend and......
Nice to see that the made an effort to differentiate the car from the lesser golfs, but think they might have overdone it on the plastic honeycomb.
Looks like all the styling went on the front of the car. The interior looks well laid out and functional, but loads of grey plastic and laking in any character. The GTI insignia on the leather seats looked nice. But grey leather with grey dashboard, make the car look very boring.

Mustang
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to Other Cars