XP Pro Installation

A forum for IT related questions

Moderator: Moderators

XP Pro Installation

Postby johnny » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:54 am

Lads,

Have an issue installing XP on my macbook... so get out from under yer bonnets for a minute :lol:

Right, I installed XP HOME edition, using boot camp, from a disk my dad got with his new computer... no trouble... until I get the alert that i have to activate windows within 30 days... so when I went online to do so.. it said that the number of times the product key has been used has been exceeded :(

All is not lost though as I have a plan :idea:

If I buy a XP PRO upgrade, as in the one you would get if the Home edition wrecks your head lol, will I be able to upgrade the UNactivated home edition currently installed? As in is it a case of running the PRO upgrade installation and then activating using the upgrade product key?

Or would I have to buy a full PRO/Home install?

Oh... by the way... need windows on the laptop to run simulation packages... not converting back if youre wondering :lol:

Cheers guys.

John.
johnny
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby RussMan » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:16 am

Hey,

If you havn't run out of time to activate you could run the upgrade.
I'm pretty sure you will need to reactivate it with the genuine Retail copy.
Alternatively you can use XP Pro activate utility which could save you a jam. It will cancel the activation process for enough time to update to the retail version and then you should be able to proceed. It would be a bit of a gray area re: software licensing but would get you out of a jam!

Russ
???? - Ferrari F355 Berlinetta
2007 Nissan 350z GT
2004 Nissan 350z GT
1998 Mitsubishi FTO GPvR
1997 Mazda Mx-3
RussMan
I'm addicted to my FTO
I'm addicted to my FTO

Postby mcgon1979 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:21 am

Yeah, seriously don't count on getting around the original key by buying an upgrade. You will most likley be asked for 2 keys then. i.e. Please activate your ORIGINAL windows BEFORE upgrade etc.

Get a key off someone.
mcgon1979
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby CJ » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:20 pm

mcgon1979 wrote:Get a key off someone.

FTO-Ireland does not condone software piracy in any form yadda yadda...

I'm reasonably sure that a licenced Pro upgrade on an unactivated Home install will do the business, don't me quote me tho!

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby johnny » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:17 pm

Thats the thing.... no one is 100% sure it will work... Ive even asked the IT guys here at work and they werent sure :?

I was just looking on ebay.... there is plent of genuine, legal, full versions (not upgrades) of XP Pro for in and around €150.... think that would be the way to go....

Anyone ever bought anything like this off Ebay? Or does it sound dodgy? I wouldnt buy pirate copies out of principle... :wink: Ah no... ive heard that you get all sorts of trouble running windows updates and the like on pirate installations so well worth the few bob to stay legal and out of trouble..

What ya think guys..... EBay & XP Pro - to buy or not to buy, that is the question :lol:
johnny
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Muad_dib77 » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:54 pm

I - bizarrely enough - hold a genuine license for XP Pro.. and I've had exactly the same kinda trouble installing updates.. for some reason it thought to was a copy..

P'ed me right off - but after some fiddling about with patches and other nice stuff it worked..
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Return to Computers and IT