[Suggestion] Tech Meet

This forum is a means of informing the community on up and coming meets and events

Moderators: Moderators, Event Organisers

[Suggestion] Tech Meet

Postby Dilogoat86 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:50 pm

I have an idea for people in general.

how about a meet at some point in the near future where people come with their FTOs and all the combined knowledge we have can fix a few problems for each other. If someone knows someone who owns a garage with a ramp we can rent for the day then we can arrange certain jobs to be done. Diagnostics, services, once overs etc. Shoot it down if it's not a good idea but it'd be an excuse for a meet and greet for new members and for people to also share their skills. I have a pretty decent tool kit so I can bring that.

What do you think?
Currently in my collection:
'98 Toyota Starlet...
'79 Mini Clubman 1380cc ~100BHP (I hope)
'79 BMW 728
Dilogoat86
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Re: [Suggestion] Tech Meet

Postby Bernard » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:07 pm

It's been suggested before http://www.fto-ireland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8686
Good idea but it never happened....
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:28 pm

Excellent idea - one for the summer months though I think.
I'm in the process of fitting a "flat to the floor" 3 ton hydraulic sissor lift into a new garage at home - would be ideal for a BBQ type meet in the spring/summer. Nothing like a few beers and a burger while mulling over an FTO.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby colm_mcm » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:42 pm

It sounds like a great idea. I'd be up for doing any jobs I've done on my own FTO.
colm_mcm

Postby CJ » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:13 pm

Myfeckin FTO wrote:I'm in the process of fitting a "flat to the floor" 3 ton hydraulic sissor lift into a new garage at home.

Deadly, a lift has been on my wanted list for a while (as is a garage!). Did you pick one up second hand perhaps?

Definitely sounds like a good meet opportunity.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:59 pm

CJ wrote:..........
Deadly, a lift has been on my wanted list for a while (as is a garage!). Did you pick one up second hand perhaps?

Nope - bought it new as they will also fit it and give me a warranty etc. Kinda important considering this is going to be set into the garage floor - I don't fancy having to go dig at it if something was to go wrong.

model similar to this - http://www.find14u.co.uk/GSB/clientimag ... 688168.jpg
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby colm_mcm » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:20 pm

flash git :D
colm_mcm

Postby Dilogoat86 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:08 pm

In that case how about we go about organising a date or may be a couple of dates to suit the western and eastern brethren. I can borrow an engine crane should anyone need one.
'98 Toyota Starlet...
'79 BMW 728
Dilogoat86

Postby Dragonheart » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:26 pm

Prob better for a summer meet would it?

Theres already 2 meets listed and if things start getting crowded then dates will clash, people will fail to turn up cause of other commitments, etc. I like the idea of a tech meet even when it was mentioned before but maybe 3 meets on at once is sort of crowding it up a bit? Plus if theres a lot of cars going you'd need a lot of space internally to hold them all.

Engine crane would be for massive jobs too would it not? Hardly doing engine transplants in a meet are we?? I would have thought stuff like changing brake pads, drop links, oil filters, air con leds, or as highlighted in the original post, diagnostics and services, the basic stuff yet stuff that a lot of people don't like to do cause they haven't the experience or knowledge or are just plain afraid, would be more worthwhile. While it would be interesting to see an engine transplant or some huge job take place, I don't know if it would be very beneficial (to people like me who just want to learn more about the car and also learn how to do the jobs myself and save some cash in the meantime) or if the time would be there in a meet for it. A scissors lift or some form of ramp or pit however would be a huge asset.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mitsumaniac » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:49 pm

Lads,
I spoke about this meet with my mate who owns a garage.
The place is based in Blanchardstown Corporate Park and it`s equipped with everything you might need to fix a car (tools, lifts, cranes presses)
The garage would be available on Sundays all day, and the owner/mechanic would be there to help/give an advise or just sit, chat and keep an eye on everything (health&safety)
Well... ofcourse he wants some money but hasn`t precised anything yet... Everything depends on how many people we would gather.

As I said it`s available all sundays so we`d have pleanty of time for arrangements etc.

What you think?
http://www.newhorizonstyling.com - Wide range of GRP and Carbon fibre panels
Mitsumaniac
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:47 pm

The main reason I suggest my place is that its free and we can have a BBQ and a few beers/stay over (v reasonable B&B across the road). My mechanic mate will also be around and he has worked on 10+ FTO's and knows them inside-out. We don't need an amount of tools either - the purpose of the meet would be to show you how to work on your own FTO from home - If anyone wanted something simple like a pad/disc/brake fluid change or oil change then this could be accomodated. Perhaps we could do this meet in conjunction with a road trip to the Burren or similar - as mentioned there will be a few other meets prior to this. Maybe aim for April/May.

Some of you already know my gaff from previous meets (where we had up to 15 FTO's) - but it now has a lot more space - cleared the (2 acre) site recently of tons of trees and scrubs and its now mostly tarmac and concrete - absolutely bundles of space for 20+ FTO's if neccessary.

Co. Clare may not suit a lot of the Dubs though - perhaps we should put up a poll.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dilogoat86 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:01 pm

If it's a weekend trip and and over night then co. clare isn't such a bad idea. But we could do both, Co. Clare for the western side and Blanchardstown for the Eastern side. We could also try a bulk buy on service parts for people who want to have a service done.
'98 Toyota Starlet...
'79 BMW 728
Dilogoat86

Postby Sebastian » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:31 pm

I'm up for any of the places

ps: I prefer Shane's gaff ... :mrgreen: booze , good food and a very nice B&B :ll
no1. manual GR 96 l no2. tip GR 95 l no3. manual Gpx 95 l no.4 manual Gpx 95 l no.5 manual Gpx 96 l no.6 tip GR 95 - in 2011 took a break from the FTO scene
Sebastian

Postby Bernard » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:12 pm

I'd be on for another BBQ at Shane's, as would anyone who's been before I'm sure.
I know it's a trek for the Dubs but a convoy is half the craic.
At this stage FTO-Ireland has covered most of Ireland, from Kerry to Antrim. Where a meet is shouldn't be a problem, we have cars after all :wink:
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dragonheart » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:12 pm

I'd be up for Shanes too, havent made it to there yet but all the reports from nights prior to Sleek FX have been good ones so would love to make at least one! :D
You building a multistorey car park or something on 2 acres of concrete Shane?
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:10 pm

Dragonheart wrote:........You building a multistorey car park or something on 2 acres of concrete Shane?

Nope - theres not 2 acres of concrete - I have a couple of lawns - but theres enough tarmac/concrete for a good kart race if one was in the mood. :lol:

Just finishing off the outside of my house - adding a garage and a decking area, several hundred square metres of stone walls, new entrances, and have stepped off the site with retaining walls to create a couple of additional tarmac drives.

Pity I picked the wettest and then the coldest spells of weather on record to do all this work. :roll:
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dragonheart » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:34 pm

Myfeckin FTO wrote:Just finishing off the outside of my house - adding a garage and a decking area, several hundred square metres of stone walls, new entrances, and have stepped off the site with retaining walls to create a couple of additional tarmac drives.

Wow. Sounds impressive! A bit of work to the outside of the house makes a massive difference. And by the sounds of the above it'll be a totally new place!
Mightn't be the greatest time of year to do it like you say but at least its the best time economically to do it, I'd imagine materials would be competitively priced now. Wouldn't go pouring too much concrete in the weather at the moment though! It would take it the rest of the year to cure any bit. :)
(Karting track would be a nice addition too. :D )
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Sebastian » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:46 pm

offtopic : I hope Dave's corner is still intact. :nwor
no1. manual GR 96 l no2. tip GR 95 l no3. manual Gpx 95 l no.4 manual Gpx 95 l no.5 manual Gpx 96 l no.6 tip GR 95 - in 2011 took a break from the FTO scene
Sebastian

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:15 am

Sebastian wrote:offtopic : I hope Dave's corner is still intact. :nwor

We may have to build it up a little and maybe put a little navigation light on it in case he comes back to visit. :lol:
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dilogoat86 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:31 pm

So can we set some provisional dates for this? End of February when it's hopefully a tad less...Irish? Also, can we get a little list going for attendees and possibly people who want a service? We may be able to get a bulk order sorted and save a few pennies.

Prices without discounts:
Service kit w/ standard air filter: £17.36
Oil filters: £3.07
Standard filter: £6.95
Fuel filter: £8.98
Sump plug: £5.10
Plugs MiVEC(Iridium): £42.94
Plugs Non-MiVEC(Iridium): £43.41
Oil can be purchased from motor factors/halfords by the person before they come to the meet.

If we do a service it's preferable to not do the plugs as they can take a while to get at the rear bank. So may be we can do one set and show the lovely people how it's done and just do the other bits. :)

1. Dilogoat
'98 Toyota Starlet...
'79 BMW 728
Dilogoat86

Postby colm_mcm » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:43 pm

There's plenty of room, I don't see why multiple jobs couldn't run at the same time:

Jobs that could be done:
Fitting lowering springs
Buffing headlight lenses
Changing spark plugs
Fitting rear speakers
Fitting a rear foglight (not a legal requirement i know)
Oil change
Fitting a new horn
Fitting KMC dials
Painting brake calipers and wiper arms

Re prices I can get sets of wiper blades for €7,50 in Halfords (RRP 24.99), oil filters for €3.50 or so, and oil for €20.
colm_mcm

Postby Dilogoat86 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:09 pm

colm_mcm wrote:There's plenty of room, I don't see why multiple jobs couldn't run at the same time:

Jobs that could be done:
Fitting lowering springs
Buffing headlight lenses
Changing spark plugs
Fitting rear speakers
Fitting a rear foglight (not a legal requirement i know)
Oil change
Fitting a new horn
Fitting KMC dials
Painting brake calipers and wiper arms

Re prices I can get sets of wiper blades for €7,50 in Halfords (RRP 24.99), oil filters for €3.50 or so, and oil for €20.

Excellent. So people can ask for a job to be done and we'll do our best to do it I suppose.
All the lights need is some t-cut and we're away :)
This will a lot of small jobs a lot cheaper for a few people too.
'98 Toyota Starlet...
'79 BMW 728
Dilogoat86

Postby Dragonheart » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:56 pm

I still say end of Feb is too soon, even though it would tie in nicely for me as I need to do an engine and an auto oil change as soon as I get back. Just to flush any crap out of the system that might have built up as it hasn't been driven the last 8 months, has been started to keep it ticking over though.

What about doing belts, waterpump, pulleys, tensioners, and stuff? Thats something that I wanted to learn, and its one of the things that is pretty costly getting done professionally from a garage?
Agree with the note on the plugs though, but someone who has done them before would have them done in no time so mightn't be that bad?
Can we adjust some tappets maybe?
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Sebastian » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:35 pm

plus there's the Carlow meet in feb
Sebastian

Postby Dragonheart » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:45 pm

Sebastian wrote:plus there's the Carlow meet in feb

Yup, would be nice to space them out a bit more. When is Easter this year? Could we make it an Easter meet if its not too late in the year?
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Next

Return to Irish FTO meets