diffferences between pre and post facelift models

General FTO discussion only

Moderator: Moderators

diffferences between pre and post facelift models

Postby akkakkman » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:05 am

Hi Lads, new to the site here even though I've had an FTO (needing work!) for about a year :smt003

Did a few searches on the site and had a look in the knowledge base and couldn't find what I am after.
I have a 95 (pre facelift) 2ltr GR with a manual gearbox. It has a few things needed mainly cosmetic (some rust at the rear, new centre piece for the exhaust, rear lights and some body work at the rear quarter panel.)

I spotted a 97 facelift model described as 'non mivec' with the manual gearbox removed recently and am wondering if I got this at the right price would I be better of dropping my gearbox and maybe the engine into this one thus getting the facelift look and a newer car all around.

So the above car is I take it either a GX or GR (non mivec) and my question is regarding the differences between the pre and post facelift versions. From looking at parts on camskill it would appear there are differences in suspension pre and post facelift.

What other differences are there (its obviously more than just the styling) and would the engine/gearbox be transplantable between a GR pre facelift to a GR post facelift. (and if the 97 above is a GX would the same be possible GR prefacelift to a GX) As the GX is slightly more powerful is the gearbox the same?
akkakkman
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Re: diffferences between pre and post facelift models

Postby StewyD32 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:39 am

A same model pre and post 97 are the same except the bumper.
Silver 97 Mirage Asti V coupe
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Postby MY-JAP-MISTRESS » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:20 pm

it should just be the same car the only difference being the GX will have the new shape front bumper. your gearbox should slip in. dont think there should be any difference in suspension unless the new car was a GPX or GPvR because they have thicker rear anti roll bars therefore diff drop links for front and rear. everything else should be the same
MY-JAP-MISTRESS
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby akkakkman » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:02 pm

I thought from some posts I was reading that the facelift bumper was the main change.
But looking on Camskill I can see different parts for pre and post facelift. Things like:

Airflow meter
Alternator
Front wishbone bushes

Some things are the same like the engine gasket set for all non mivec engines which would lead me to assume the engines are swopable.

But then I saw this, it looks like the right hand engine mount is different for facelift models?
The difference must be slight because I can't see any difference between mine and the picture on camskill.

MITSUBISHI - FTO - SERVICING PARTS, TUNING SPARES & SERVICE ACCESSORIES - Right Hand Engine Mount
(Face Lift Model)

MITSUBISHI OE GENUINE PARTS - SERVICING PARTS, TUNING SPARES & SERVICE ACCESSORIES - Rear Engine Mount -
(DE3A Manual FTO's Excl GPvR)

MITSUBISHI OE GENUINE PARTS - SERVICING PARTS, TUNING SPARES & SERVICE ACCESSORIES - Front Engine Mount -
(Manual FTO V6 DE3A Excl GPvR)

MITSUBISHI OE GENUINE PARTS - SERVICING PARTS, TUNING SPARES & SERVICE ACCESSORIES - Front Engine Mount -
(FTO up to 97 DE3A 4 Speed Auto/Tiptronic )
4Speed Auto Cars up to 97

MITSUBISHI OE GENUINE PARTS - SERVICING PARTS, TUNING SPARES & SERVICE ACCESSORIES - Rear Engine Mount -
(DE3A 4 Speed Auto/Tiptronic FTO's up to 97)
4Speed Auto Cars up to 97 - DE3A
akkakkman
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby Sebastian » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:04 pm

Apart from the obvious different bumper , the Gx has also different headlights .

The Gx has a different ECU .
There are also differences in exhaust's and a couple of sensors .

Depending on the optionals on the car the GX can/can't have side skirts , abs ,airbags ,momo wheel,rear wiper.
Also on the tip boxes , the 5 speed box is more common on the gx.

If you have a car that needs cosmetic repairs , dont bother buying a gx only because it's ''newer'' .
Fix your own as spare parts are easy enough to get nowadays and you can fix the cosmetic damages yourself . Changing a the gearbox from one to another and engine it's a far more complicated job if you don't know what you're doing
no1. manual GR 96 l no2. tip GR 95 l no3. manual Gpx 95 l no.4 manual Gpx 95 l no.5 manual Gpx 96 l no.6 tip GR 95 - in 2011 took a break from the FTO scene
Sebastian

Postby akkakkman » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:49 pm

Thanks for the reply lads.
Sebastian, my reasons behind this are not just to have a better looking car but also factoring what I've yet to spend on mine.
I'd be doing all the work myself and while I don't mind it not looking perfect the chance to get something better bodywise is tempting :)

Mine needs:
rear lights and wiring
New tyres
I have to finish the undersealing at the rear
A gash in the rear qtr panel and also runs along the side of the car (would be pricey to fix properly but it doesn't really bother me)
could do with a new drivers mirror
could do with a new passenger door lock
Front and rear have taken a slight tip at some stage, front bumper ain't 100% paintwise / allignment same with rear.
Again it doesn't really bother me but I would jump at having something better without it costing too much.

All the above I estimate would cost close to this other one I've seen with the addition of potentially having a sounder body and underside (have yet to view it).
I've had engines and gearboxes out of cars before, It's time consuming but not necessarily difficult.
akkakkman
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby colm_mcm » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:54 pm

Sounds like yours needs a Hell of a lot of work, would you not be better off buying another?
colm_mcm

Postby paul2508 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:26 am

colm_mcm wrote:Sounds like yours needs a Hell of a lot of work, would you not be better off buying another?

+1, what he said .
...Me fail english?..Thats unpossible.....
paul2508
FTO-Ireland rules my world
FTO-Ireland rules my world

Return to General FTO Discussion