high emissions

Discuss issues related to the NCT \ MOT

Moderator: Moderators

high emissions

Postby tommysuper » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:42 pm

hi guys tom ere passed my nct first time around.he said the emissions were a little bit high but he let it off seeing as he was such a nice guy.the fact that im in a wheelchair made him feel guilty i think ha ha

any ideas how to get the emissions down anyway guys or what causes them to go up cheers lads and lassies
tommysuper
Unleaded
Unleaded

Re: high emissions

Postby CJ » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:12 pm

tommysuper wrote:anyway guys or what causes them to go up cheers lads and lassies

A defective catylitic convertor or faulty lamdba sensor can effect emmisions. A lot of FTOs test close to the limit anyway - make sure the engine is fully warmed up with some spirited driving prior to parking up at the test centre, this can help when it comes to the test itself.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: high emissions

Postby baldtyres » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:44 pm

tommysuper wrote:
any ideas how to get the emissions down anyway guys or what causes them to go up cheers lads and lassies

Mine went in for the NCT last Monday and the bloke told me the emmissions are a bit high. This is it's 3rd NCT where they told me that. I did nothing to modify them. I just look after the car and engine well!
As CJ says, lots of FTOs are close to the limit so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
An occasional petrol supplement and some high rev driving can help too!
Midlifecrisisinagpx
baldtyres
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby Kace » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:06 pm

As CJ says - best solution for this is driving the bejesus out of the car before you get there. Generally brings the emissions down a fair bit as the engine is then at optimal operating temp.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Storm » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:25 pm

If its really high have a look at the engine temp sensor, the one which is hooked directly to the ECU. If it's gone the ECU over fuels as it thinks the engines still cold.

Failing that the Lambda is easy to replace with a universal 4 wire one which you can get for about £20 (dont know what that is in Euros)

HTH

Arashi
Storm
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby Dragonheart » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:36 am

i have the nct today and got my emissions tested during the weekend, they read 7.7, should be 0.3! dont think a fuel supplement would sort this, but I'll change the oil before I bring her in for the retest, no time to do it before the test today. Anything else I could do?
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dragonheart » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:29 am

Wow!! I passed! Emissions and everything were perfect! threw her into manual and drove her at high revs on the way, think it helped! Only thing was that I didnt have the word Corcaigh on my plates, but he said just to put a sticker on it.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby kevinod » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:19 am

Nice one... glad to hear they're not being pricks about the county name on the plate!
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby baldtyres » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:46 pm

I was given a 'fail advisory' years ago for not having Port Lairge and the plates not being the standard size.
Now I have the correct size plates which do not fit the rear bumper and you need to lie on the road and look up to see that they are Port Lairge.....but thats OK now they pass.
NCT my sack. The assholes who determine the Irish car laws really have their heads up their asses.
Midlifecrisisinagpx
baldtyres
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Return to NCT \ MOT