Nk5 Golf R32

Discuss other marques here

Moderator: Moderators

Nk5 Golf R32

Postby soc » Wed May 02, 2007 5:00 pm

Followed one off from the M50 toll bridge at the weekend - what an amazing sound..... would almost make me consider swoping the 225 for a V6 except for the stupid money they're asking....
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Muad_dib77 » Wed May 02, 2007 5:57 pm

Nk 5?

Is that the special Version where they save weight by using letters with fewer lines in the model designation? ;-)

Sorry.. terrible I know..
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby Bernard » Wed May 02, 2007 6:24 pm

Muad_dib77 wrote:Nk 5?

Is that the special Version where they save weight by using letters with fewer lines in the model designation? ;-)

Sorry.. terrible I know..

:roll: You can't even make the smallest istake without being roasted...

What's the world coming too? :lol:
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Wed May 02, 2007 6:55 pm

I reckon Muad should use his new found moderator status to impose a lengthy ban on spelling mistakes or incorrect punctuation.
:lol:

While we're at it I also propose we also ban anyone who entertains any fantasies about the Hoff, Knightrider and Smokie & the Bandit on the forum.

Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Wed May 02, 2007 7:11 pm

Erm - Back to the R32 (before I get banned) - The problem with this car is that its not that much quicker than a GTI due to the extra weight and the power coming from an NA as opposed to turbo engine to a 4WD as opposed to FWD chassis. Of course I'd prefer one to a GTI but its a good deal more expensive and at 50K + you are into a whole new ball game with cars like the EVO IX.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Bernard » Wed May 02, 2007 7:12 pm

Myfeckin FTO wrote:While we're at it I also propose we also ban anyone who entertains any fantasies about the Hoff, Knightrider and Smokie & the Bandit on the forum.

How about Magnum P.I. ???
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CJ » Wed May 02, 2007 8:35 pm

Myfeckin FTO wrote:While we're at it I also propose we also ban anyone who entertains any fantasies about the Hoff, Knightrider and Smokie & the Bandit on the forum

The forum would be a quiet place then let me tell ya!

R32 - nothing special IMO, you can pick up cars with more prestige (and power) for a lot less money. Its a Golf after all! (NOI soc ;))

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Muad_dib77 » Wed May 02, 2007 11:18 pm

CJ - What body kit is on that FTO you're leaning on there? Nice Chrome bumper!

Sorry bout the spelling flaming - couldn't help it..

..now...You're all Banned! ;-)
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby CJ » Thu May 03, 2007 8:54 am

Muad_dib77 wrote:CJ - What body kit is on that FTO you're leaning on there?

Its a Veilshyte kit, it really transforms the look dontcha think? :smt045

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby soc » Thu May 03, 2007 10:13 am

Aye, I agreed the R32 isn't really that fast, especially for the price. And I completely agree with CJ - 50K + for a Golf - total madness. I'd rather go Adrian's route and get something like an older Porsche 911 for less money....

But I was actually thinking about a V6 TT but then you have all the same arguements as against the R32....

But sure I'm still in the honeymoon period with the 225 anyway so I won't be changing yet :P
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Mk5 Golf R32

Postby soc » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:22 am

Resurrecting an old thread here as it looks like I might be changing the TT for an R32.

I know there's not much difference in performance but I really want 4 doors and a tad more practicality. The one I want is 24k for an 07 with 25k miles and the spec is impressive - met black, DSG, sat nav, multi function steering wheel, parking sensors, heated seats, bluetooth, cruise, xenons & ipod integration. And the seats are the 5k recaro options which is sweet.

I looked at other options and there's not a lot else that offers the same package for the money - I was considering BMW 3 and 5 series (3.0d in the 330 or 530/535) but for equivalent year and milage with m-sport spec you're looking at 30k+.

The Golf GTI was in the pot for a while too - seems like decent value out there now with 07's down to 20k but the spec on most was poor and I really don't want to go back to fwd.

Just have to move on the TT for which I want minimum 9k given the condition. It looks like the brother-in-law might take it which would be ideal - I just have to convince the wife that it's not a bad idea selling to her younger brother ;)
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Nk5 Golf R32

Postby colm_mcm » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:32 am

out of interest, what year is the TT?
colm_mcm

Postby soc » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:49 am

colm_mcm wrote:out of interest, what year is the TT?

2002 with 81k on the clock, black leather. For the age and mileage it really is mint. Only annoying thing is it uses about a litre of oil every 1000- 1200 miles which I believe can be normal for the 1.8t. It really is well looked after. Few subtle upgrades too ;)

I told the brother-in-law I'd move it on to him for 9k which, even with the collapse of car prices, I think is pretty reasonable.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby colm_mcm » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:14 am

Yep, even 99 and 00 TTs are asking big money at the moment.
colm_mcm

Postby Dragonheart » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:05 pm

I wouldnt be a golf fan but the R32 I think is a different kettle of fish. They dont look that much different but when they put the boot down they really go for it!
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby colm_mcm » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:16 pm

R32 wouldn't be my kind of thing at all. Paying that kind of tax, I'd want something more like an M5.

I trust your judgment though.
colm_mcm

Postby optical illusion » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:27 pm

In the two year gap between thread resurrection it went down by half in price! Madness.
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby colm_mcm » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:39 pm

Have you seen the price of 97 GPVR's lately?
colm_mcm

Postby optical illusion » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:56 pm

Oh yes, half for me too :)
ImageImage
optical illusion
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:28 am

optical illusion wrote:In the two year gap between thread resurrection it went down by half in price! Madness.

Aye, it's the only reason I looked at them again. The specific car I'm looking at cost the first owner 69k with all the options :shock: :shock: How could anyone have paid 69k for a hatchback??? Even if it had 400bhp I wouldn't spend 69k (assuming I had it :? ) on a hatchback!
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:58 am

colm_mcm wrote:R32 wouldn't be my kind of thing at all. Paying that kind of tax, I'd want something more like an M5.

I trust your judgment though.

I hear ya - the two things that stuck (and to a degree still stick) in my throat are the road tax (1550) and the fuel consumption. I could run an M3 for the same cost (and insurance isn't that different either). I've driven sooooo many different cars the past few months trying to decide what could replace the TT. I wanted something with at least the same performance as the TT and the only absolute requirement being genuinely useable back seats and a decent boot. I looked at most of the usual suspects M3, 530d, 330d, etc - you get the picutre. The only car I didn't drive that I probably should have is an S4.

My budget was set at circa 25k because we're probably going to buy a house sometime next year so I don't want to have too much money sitting in the drive in the form of 4 wheels. In the process of driving so many different cars I decided that I wanted to stay with 4wd or else try rwd but in the end I ruled out all the above mentioned cars simply because for 25k I could only get a higher mileage version and the spec of car (performance aside) I would be getting wasn't worth the outlay. A decent spec'd 530/535d or 330d (i.e. m-sport) were all silly money. And I don't think you can really use the full potential of an M3 or S4 without eventually losing your licence.

Eventually I settled on the R32 because for my budget I could get an '07/'08 with less than 30k miles (the mileage is important for me) and the spec on these cars is generally massive. Performance is good - a 250bhp 1450kg hatch won't set the world on fire but it's enough for the real world and I get something with 4wd traction which makes the performance much more useable. If I'm honest I actually like that it doesn't stand out much from a normal golf to most people - I must be getting old but I'm moving away from wanting a car that attracts attention from people.

The road tax is almost worth it for the engine note - it really is one of the best sounding engines I've heard (exotica aside).

That's my twisted logic anyway.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:10 am

R32 didn't make sense at 50K + but it makes a whole lot more sense at circa 25K just a few more miles and a couple of years on. The world is your car yard when you've got 25K to spend on a car these days. Go up in budget a little and new model M5's and RS4's have dropped through the floor in pricing compared to a year ago.

Don't forget the Audi S3 should also come close to budget SOC.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:28 am

Myfeckin FTO wrote:Don't forget the Audi S3 should also come close to budget SOC.

Don't tempt me - I had a spin in one at a wedding during the summer - brutal acceleration.

I'm deliberately moving away from turbo charged cars as the temptation to mod the engine is much less due to the fact the gains are minimal - that means less requirement to beef up brakes, suspension, etc.

Just more twisted logic ;)

RS4 though..., now I would very much like one of those - maybe in a year or two
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to Other Cars