GR tappets

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

GR tappets

Postby Timmo » Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:22 pm

Hello all! (first post!)

I am currently looking at purchasing a FTO, however the first car I have seen is a GR. I have looked quite thoroughly around the car and have heard it running. Now the problem with the bonnet up I can hear the tappets ticking away, now they are not loud or anything but after reading about the problems with the hydraulic tappets I am getting paranoid about buying it!

Can anyone tell me whether you should be able hear the tappets going at all?

Thanks for the help

Timmo

(P.S. what is the standard fit stereo manufacturer to be able to use the cd changer?)
Timmo
Unleaded
Unleaded

Postby Speedyboy » Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:22 pm

Ive a GR and it only tappets for the first 2 minutes in the morning until It builds up oil pressure. I dont even get that for the first 2000 kms after an oil change. So unless it goes away when the engine is warm Id leave the car .........

As far as I know the GR doesnt have hydraulic tappets so the only solution to the noise is replacing them.

BTW the Mivec lads will try to convince you to get that GPX's are better but resist !!!!!! :D
Wavin - Unrivalled European supplier of plastic pipe systems
Speedyboy
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby CJ » Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:03 pm

Speedyboy wrote:BTW the Mivec lads will try to convince you to get that GPX's are better but resist !!!!!! :D

GPXs are better, you know it makes sense! ;)

You can get a handle on GR tappets by using top end treatments and a decent engine oil rated at 15W/50 or 10W/40, ultimately, they will need to be replaced if they get worse i.e not cheap (approx €1k)

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Timmo » Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:27 pm

Thanks for the quick response! (blinked and almost missed them!)

Going to have a look at it again tomorrow morning so I will see what happens!

CJ, as far as the gpx goes I am finding it hard to find fto's with manual gearboxes in the up to 5800gpb (yes sorry english traitor (but with a good tase in cars!))

Don't get me wrong I would love a gpx but have been without a car for a few weeks now and am feeling the need to drive again so am prepared to buy any of the 2.0 V6's!

Thanks again,
Timmo
Timmo
Unleaded
Unleaded

Postby JD » Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:45 am

CJ wrote:
Speedyboy wrote:BTW the Mivec lads will try to convince you to get that GPX's are better but resist !!!!!! :D

GPXs are better, you know it makes sense! ;)

It depends on how much you want the extra 12/20 bhp and the fact that you have the higher spec car (and the sound of the mivec :twisted: )! The GPX is the muts nuts, it has to be - it has more power, the engine looks awsome and it comes with more spec as standard, but the main difference is the mivec (as everyone knows), so if your going to use it - wait and get one - if not your field is larger and you'll have more choice.

I have a GR (and I LOVE it) and I'm not the type that would use the extra power (I'm a bit old and weary now :wink: ), but I have to say that there is a little devil in my head that wants a GPX - JUST in case I ever need it :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Good luck with whatever you get.

JD
JD

Postby alanmccormack » Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:56 pm

I totally agree with SpeedyBoy. Unless the tappet noise settles down, walk away. To be honest, I wouldn't even give it 2 full minutes, 30 seconds to a minute should be more than enough.

The GR tappets are definitely NOT adjustable. I had a GR in which the tappet noise gradually got worse over 4.5 years. To be honest it is just ordinary wear and tear in a GR. Even though it got a bit noisy it didn't mean bad things were about to happen. When I had them replaced at Mitsubishi I asked the mechanic about what would happen if I left them and he said "not a lot really, you'll just sound like a tractor!".

I had them replaced at the same time as the timing belt and the whole lot came to €1440 (£1000) - not cheap, but had to be done in order to sell the car on.

Even after getting the replacements, there was still a few seconds of 'metallic noise' first thing in the morning, but it died down in about 5 - 10 seconds.

Don't be put off GRs though (unless they sound like tractors of course). I had one for over 4.5 years and it was the most reliable car I ever owned. It never ever broke down and it never failed to start. It was perfect as long as you looked after it.

Looking at GRs too will give you more options and you will probably get more for your money. Good Luck
alanmccormack
1st gear
1st gear

Postby Speedyboy » Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:38 pm

Good man Alan up the GR's .

Its also been proven by scientific research that GR's make you more attractive to the opposite s3x as most young ladies prefer the smoothness of the V6 with out the scream of the MIVEC,

And the NIVEC is more reliable

:lol:
Wavin - Unrivalled European supplier of plastic pipe systems
Speedyboy

Postby Timmo » Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:15 pm

Thanks all!

Went to have another look at that car today only to find that when I got there whilst I was waiting for the salesman to finish on the phone that somebody was buying it as I was waiting! Never mind more fish in the sea!

Now I'm waiting for another black GR to clear its SVA before I look at it, and this one has less miles on the clock! Oh the bittersweet irony!
I Love It, I Love It, I Love It!

1995 Black FTO GR, Lowered Suspension, Sports Exhaust, Alpine ICE (bar the kak sony explode head unit!) Called ...Zia!
Timmo
Unleaded
Unleaded

Postby Daz » Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:34 am

Speedyboy wrote:Good man Alan up the GR's .

Its also been proven by scientific research that GR's make you more attractive to the opposite s3x as most young ladies prefer the smoothness of the V6 with out the scream of the MIVEC,

And the NIVEC is more reliable

:lol:

Hahaha :D :D as reguards the research!!! you have to say that to compensate in your own minds that you lack the power :D :D

And as reguards the nivec being more reliable, well thats just wrong sorry!!!! :D :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!

Postby Timmo » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:28 pm

Got a phone call yesterday from the bloke with the FTO inviting me to go down and have a look at the car after it has passed the SVA but before it has received its number plate of been advertised!

Spec:
Black FTO, unmarked paintwork, sports exhaust system, new steering wheel/gear knob, ugly looking fog light fitted in the rear bumper and no stereo/changer/speakers (they must have been stolen at the dock he said [by some nice blokes that took the brackets off the stereo and left them in the glove box and put all of the screws out of them in the ashtray???])

Anyway all said and done I said I'd have it and left him a deposit! Before you say it CJ/Daz I know its not a MIVEC!!! but it's nice, it's clean, it's standard, it's not going to be raced (he said trying to convince himself) and most of all it's not a sh@tty L reg rover 214 [gone are the sensible days!]

1995 Black FTO GR, Lowered Suspension, Sports Exhaust, Alpine ICE (bar the kak sony explode head unit!) Called ...Zia!
Timmo
Unleaded
Unleaded

Postby CJ » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:37 pm

Nice one Timmo, is it manual or a Tip by the way and whats the year?

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Timmo » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:52 pm

1995 Manual [I have a clutch!!]

Timmo
Unleaded
Unleaded

Postby Daz » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:53 pm

CJ wrote:Nice one Timmo, is it manual or a Tip by the way and whats the year?

Ciaran

Yep second that, also i hope you managed to get a good price due to all the stereo stuff missing, thats going to cost a bit to replace.

Daz...
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz

Postby Timmo » Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:24 pm

car was a little expensive 5K gbp stereo stuff is not too bad as I still have the mp3/cd player from my old car I was going to install any way. Just been looking on the web for speakers and this is what I'm thinking:

Front speakers
Alpine SXE1750 6.5mm Component £49.16
Rear Speakers
Alpine SXS1757 6x9" Coaxial £35.00

Timmo
Unleaded
Unleaded

Return to FTO Technical