weak power in engine

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

weak power in engine

Postby Wojti » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:48 am

Hi, I,m a new user here and my language is not good cause I,m from Poland. In last week i bought fto GPvR 2.0 mivec 1998 year, and the problem is when I push the gas pedal gently tha car accelerate not bad, but when I push the whole to the floor engine stop accelerate and begins to brake. Could You someone tell me what is wrong? thx.
Wojti
1st gear
1st gear

Re: weak power in engine

Postby goz_83 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:45 pm

Where are you located?
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Wojti » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:57 pm

Dundalk
Wojti
1st gear
1st gear

Postby goz_83 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:01 am

Is it a automatic or manual version? If it's automatic, it could be a gearbox issue and is more likely a sensor thing, but maybe another member might have another idea. I suggest having a mechanic check it out. Sounds dangerous.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Wojti » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:25 am

it is a manual, and the seller told me the remaping the chip was done before and i think it is maybe wong remaps and thats why it happend like that,
Wojti
1st gear
1st gear

Postby Wojti » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:28 am

and when i drive about 100km/h and downshift the gear to 3 then engine begins to stop in my opinion suppous to have enough power to accelerate
Wojti
1st gear
1st gear

Postby Kace » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:12 am

Wojti wrote:and when i drive about 100km/h and downshift the gear to 3 then engine begins to stop in my opinion suppous to have enough power to accelerate

This might not be the issue but I would clean the stepper motor first of all - 5 minute job. Search for it on here.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:48 pm

Could possibly be the stepper as Kace said. Here is a link to show you where it is and how to clean. http://web.archive.org/web/200502090857 ... dling.html

Stepper motors are very hard to come across if you need a replacement. If you are sure the stepper motor is the problem, I have one I can sell, taken from my 95GR last year, which I broke for parts.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Wojti » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:37 pm

tommorrow i gonna put new spark plugs because what i have they are complitely drifferent what suppoust to be and i saw the intake manifold was not good screwed and maybe there was some extra air comes to the engine. I will see tommorrow and i tell you here. thx
Wojti
1st gear
1st gear

Postby Kace » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:52 pm

You know that spark plug replacement in a GPVR is not straightforward right (for rear bank of plugs) ? Read the instructions carefully !!!
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:56 pm

+1 on the above. ^ plugs need changing. The 3 in the front bank are easily accessed, but the 3 under the plenum, in the rear are not easy to access. I got mine done at a Garage and I supplied the plugs. If there are loose screws, then make them tight. It does not sound like a spark plug issue more than a sensor issue. If it was, the problem would not happen the way you describe it. The problem would be more consistent.
Last edited by goz_83 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mitsinut » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:09 am

Wonder if it is going into "limp mode"? Run a diagnostic it'll probably flash a code to you and save alot of time.
Mitsinut
Octane king
Octane king

Postby CJ » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:14 pm

Mitsinut wrote:Wonder if it is going into "limp mode"?

Its a manual. Sounds like plugs or spark to me....
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mitsinut » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:13 pm

CJ wrote:
Mitsinut wrote:Wonder if it is going into "limp mode"?

Its a manual. Sounds like plugs or spark to me....

Most cars with a Throttle Position Sensor have a "limp mode", regardless of transmission, although I do agree with you, it is most likely the plugs.
Mitsinut
Octane king
Octane king

Postby CJ » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:30 pm

Mitsinut wrote:Most cars with a Throttle Position Sensor have a "limp mode", regardless of transmission, although I do agree with you, it is most likely the plugs.

I would be surprised if the FTO ECU is sufficiently advanced to pick up on TPS resistances outside of the recommended tolerances, not to say its not a possibility though, would be worthy of further investigation.

I'd start by investing in a set of fit-and-forget Iridium plugs and go from there. If you have access to a multimeter, test the resistance across the ignition leads - the lower, the better. If one is dramatically higher than the rest then it may point at a bad lead.
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Wojti » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:26 pm

That what i know there was chip tuning done and i dont know who did it and how , i need to go to the dyno for the test and remaping chip for the original settings, i can not check car now because still waiting for the papers to transfer insurance from my bmw.
Wojti
1st gear
1st gear

Return to FTO Technical