Petrol Prices

Use this forum to discuss anything and everything non-FTO related

Moderator: Moderators

Petrol Prices

Postby elaine » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:03 pm

Well all my god the price of the stuff is going through the roof,In our local town it's €1.419 but in carlow some are €1.45 to €1.47. I think it will hit the €1.50 mark soon and no sign of it stopping. :evil:
elaine
Nothing comes between me and my FTO
Nothing comes between me and my FTO

Re: Petrol Price's

Postby Dave » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:17 pm

The thing people seem to forget is that the government are taking 2/3's of the price at the pumps, in carbon tax, VAT, and so on....

Granted the petrol companies are milking it as well!

It's why I drive a diesel these days!!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Bernard » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:46 pm

This time two years ago it was under a euro!
The price is bad enough but the .9 at the end is just insulting, I don't think they should be allowed to do it.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mitsubishi-Mental » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:07 am

its gonna hit 1.50 in the next few weeks i'd say, its a disaster, but it wont be coming down. they want us in electric cars :r

at least the greens are out of government :smt003
Wicklow Vtec Fighter
Mitsubishi-Mental
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Re: Petrol Prices

Postby Muad_dib77 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:14 pm

I still cant wait to get the aul fto on the road.

having said that the wifes corsa opc will be making way for something a bit more Daysul as soon as possible...

Here - does anybody know what happend to e85 - it seems to have disappeared..
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby gfalls » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:57 pm

@elaine
Drive the extra couple of miles down to Ballon. Texaco there is only €141.9 at the mo.. :wink:
Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.
gfalls
My first-born will be christened 'MIVEC'
My first-born will be christened 'MIVEC'

Postby colm_mcm » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:41 pm

Government incentive to sell e85 ended at the start of this year.
Cost increased effectively by €.53 per litre at the pump. Ie €.25 per litre more than regular e5 petrol.
E85 generally gives less mpg than E5 and flexifuel cars can run perfectly on E5 anyway.

Just another example of shortsightedness on behalf of the greens who seem to have overlooked seemingly obvious environmental factors to do with e85.
That said when we were selling saabs back before 08 we welcomed the vrt discount :-)
colm_mcm

Postby Muad_dib77 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:42 pm

colm_mcm wrote:Government incentive to sell e85 ended at the start of this year.
Cost increased effectively by €.53 per litre at the pump. Ie €.25 per litre more than regular e5 petrol.
E85 generally gives less mpg than E5 and flexifuel cars can run perfectly on E5 anyway.

Just another example of shortsightedness on behalf of the greens who seem to have overlooked seemingly obvious environmental factors to do with e85.
That said when we were selling saabs back before 08 we welcomed the vrt discount :-)

hahahaha that is fantastic..Love it..

so.. does anybody want to buy an unused 6cyl e85 kit?

Christ..
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Muad_dib77

Postby TopCat » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:48 pm

colm_mcm wrote:Government incentive to sell e85 ended at the start of this year.
Cost increased effectively by €.53 per litre at the pump. Ie €.25 per litre more than regular e5 petrol...

Did not know that!! The fact it was a short term incentive didn't seem to be very well advertised, but I'd be more than a little pi$$ed if I had bought one if those!
TopCat
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby Dragonheart » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:53 pm

Its still for sale down in a few garages in Cork. I've used it a few times with the E5. Does that mean they're going to get rid of it altogether so or what?
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby TopCat » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:54 pm

I've noticed signs in a number of Maxol's stating that they would no longer be stocking it.
TopCat
Fight The Octopus!
Fight The Octopus!

Postby soc » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:21 pm

I think for daily drivers diesel is going to get stronger - if you can live without the sound of a nice petrol engine it can be a good compromise - I'm seeing 44mpg which equates to a fill every 16 days & with only 156 a year in road tax that makes cheap (by other standards) running costs - yet I still get the benefit of 220bhp and 330ft/lb which is good for some giggles :D
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mustang » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:23 pm

soc wrote:I think for daily drivers diesel is going to get stronger - if you can live without the sound of a nice petrol engine it can be a good compromise - I'm seeing 44mpg which equates to a fill every 16 days & with only 156 a year in road tax that makes cheap (by other standards) running costs - yet I still get the benefit of 220bhp and 330ft/lb which is good for some giggles :D

Lets not forget the steep front end depreciation associated with owning a car new enough to qualify for the new low emissions tax rates. And the opportunity cost associated with having so much money tied up in something that sounds like a Massey Furgusen. The diesel v petrol debate all too often centres far too much on the weekly fuel bill, ignoring a proper comparison of actual ownership costs.

Yes the price of fuel is annoying but remember the government have added ~18cent on in the last 3 years on to what was an already heavily taxed price.
It's easy to point to international factors, but at any time the government could ease the burden by reducing their (stealth) tax take.

I understand the UK authorities are considering just such a variable exise rate to 'normalise' the price against fluctuating international markets.
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:56 am

I was wondering how long it would take for Mustang to chime in on the petrol vs diesel debate ;)

I don't see the dept of finance looking to reduce fuel tax any time soon despite the fact that UK govt are considering the same, the weak euro isn't helping in the big scheme of things. On a positive note, at least we're not paying Norwegian or Dutch prices just yet although that could be set to change. I travel to the US on business occasionally, fuel prices come up for discussion now and again - the yanks get a great laugh when I tell them that we pay the guts of $8 for a gallon of gas!
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mustang » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:22 pm

CJ wrote:I don't see the dept of finance looking to reduce fuel tax any time soon despite the fact that UK govt are considering the same,

Nor do I, it usually takes us about 20 years before we acknowledge and adopt the best practice of our nearest (and arguably more politically mature) neighbour.
By which time the argument will possibly have become mute as an alternative technology may be in place by then.

The Irish government simply do not get the concept of lowering taxation to increase consumption/ productivity and thereby actually increasing the tax take.
Nor do they get the concept of diminishing returns. 'Tax receipts down -increase the rates so -that'll fix it', the assumption being that Joe Public will continue consume/spend at the same rate, regardless of how much tax is charged. The real world simply does not work like that. Anyway you don't need me to tell you about the financial acumen of our government -the fruits of which are plain for all to see vis-a-vis the country being bankrupt.
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby richardc9052 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:09 pm

For anyone passing through mitchelstown the Texaco garage at the top off the hill is only 139.9 / l of petrol :D
Cos they are "GORGEOUS" - StewyD32
richardc9052
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby Dragonheart » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:35 pm

Thats a good price, lowest I've seen. In Mallow its 141.9, which is the cheapest between Cork and Limerick. Maxol out by the hospital is 148.9, and the Topaz down the road from it is 149.9.
Dragonheart
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby colm_mcm » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:17 pm

O rourkes Cross near Bruree is 139.9. some non branded petrol I think.

Had to go to NCW in Limerick on Sunday, petrol in the Applegreen is 139.8 there too.

For diesel, City Diesel on the Dublin Road is 129.9
colm_mcm

Postby Muad_dib77 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:12 am

Real happy about living near ardee these days. The ferdia stations are cheaper than apple green, consistently.
Top tip, if you can get near ardee on your journeys, do it.
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Muad_dib77

Postby colm_mcm » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:42 am

What sort of sheckles are you talking for a litre of the black stuff?
colm_mcm

Postby Muad_dib77 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:03 pm

colm_mcm wrote:What sort of sheckles are you talking for a litre of the black stuff?

Im not 100% sure this is the latest rate as its been over two weeks since last I procured some liquid dinosaur juice..136.9ebob pro litro.
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Muad_dib77

Postby Mustang » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:51 pm

I'm in Holland at the moment 163.9 for lite of the good stuff :shock:
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Bernard » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:18 pm

It'd be interesting to know how that balances out with tax & insurance.
They can't be paying more than us surely?
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Muad_dib77 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:07 pm

Mustang wrote:I'm in Holland at the moment 163.9 for lite of the good stuff :shock:

Madness I could be going to "the Dam" for the next two weeks.. I hear they have good public transport as a result of making fuel and cars v. dear..
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Muad_dib77

Postby Mustang » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:29 pm

Muad_dib77 wrote:
Mustang wrote:I'm in Holland at the moment 163.9 for lite of the good stuff :shock:

Madness I could be going to "the Dam" for the next two weeks.. I hear they have good public transport as a result of making fuel and cars v. dear..

Scratch that, I actually had to buy some fuel, to fill up the rental €169.9 per litre for unleaded.Ouch!

That said only €3.70 for the train from Schiphol to Amsterdam central (OT and FYI you appear to need a card maestro or credit to buy the train tickets from a machine -coins not accepted)
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Next

Return to Off Topic