new to the forum but not new to the game

Say hello to other forum members

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with the forum rules before posting!

new to the forum but not new to the game

Postby omar999 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:15 pm

hello everyone

I've finally fully joined the forum so I thought I would say hi and introduce myself. I have always been a car enthusiast for as long as I can remember - I have come from a honda background and have owned two honda integra's [1 93 black si and 1 rare 96 sir-g in red with jdm itr headlights].

I purchased my 1998 mitsubishi fto mivec in march 2013 and have just not been able to afford the running costs as I'm a family man. However my circumstances have changed and im looking forward to getting the car on the road.

I'm sure I will have a few questions but I will post these in the appropriate parts of the forum.

anyway here are some pictures of my fto so enjoy. the pictures are from the original advert when I bought the car. the car has an aftermarket air filter & backbox otherwise its bog standard. mechanically its in fantastic condition and mainly there are no signs of rust. just the odd very minor blemish here and there but nothing at all major so im very happy with it.

there are a few small problems, front bumper fog light is fused and doesnt work, rear calipers are sticky & the key sometimes gets stuck in the ignition. I intend to fix all these issues asap.

omar
1998 Mitsubishi FTO GPX Tiptronic
omar999
1st gear
1st gear

Re: new to the forum but not new to the game

Postby goz_83 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:27 am

Welcome to the club. Your car is post 1997, so you have the wrong bumper, which will probably explain the messed up wiring on the lights. The bumper you have is a pre 97. Usually means the original bumper was damaged and the owner couldn't get a proper replacement, as they can be a bit hard to find.

Nice mivec though and feel free to ask questions. You shouldn't have trouble sourcing parts in the uk either. Many more ftos over there.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby omar999 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:29 am

thanks. i thought the facelift bumpers only came on post 1999 cars? the previous owner had the car for 6 years and i recall him mentioning that its actually a 1995 model but when it got registered as a 1998 on a R plate in uk. Not sure how that works. If it is a 1995 model I dont see how its come with the momo steering wheel either. weird.

the wiring is actually correct. but due to the passenger side wheel arch trim being cut some water made its way in to the passenger pod wiring and hence the indiciator/side lights and fog light do not work.
1998 Mitsubishi FTO GPX Tiptronic
omar999
1st gear
1st gear

Postby goz_83 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:57 am

I see. Well judging by the colour of the car alone, now that you mention it, you may well be driving a 1995 model. All this info shoukd be on your V5, no? On our equivalent, it declares year of first registration and if he vehicle is a second hand import, it also states the date of first registration in Ireland.

The momo steering wheel is most likely added by a previous owner. The vast majority of pre 97 ftos did not come with airbags. So, if you jump into the drivers seat and check the dash clocks, look just below the clocks. Do you see SRS? Turn the key to the on position. If no airbag light flashes, then you've either got a fault, or you're driving a 95 fto. I'm also pretty sure that the 5 speed auto box was not released until 1997, so if yours is 4 speed, it's definitely not a 98.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Bernard » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:47 pm

The manufacturing date is printed on the seatbelt, there's a label near the bottom.
Chances are whatever mods the car has has the seatbelts are original.
Also you can post your Vin number here to get some info on the car.

Happy posting BTW :wel
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Introduce yourself