Busted !!!!!

Compare and discuss insurance quotes here (Registered users only)

Moderator: Moderators

Busted !!!!!

Postby Kace » Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:27 pm

After going for the past 3 years without a ticket I was finally busted this morning on the Stillorgan dualer at 7am. Nice motorcycle cop came out of nowhere but obviously had me well sussed. I took off from the lights at RTE in the overtaking lane and he stalked me from the bus lane so that he was out of my line of sight in the rearview. Was done for 58 in a 40. :(

Questions......

1. The Garda logged my registration on the ticket incorrectly and I have heard all sorts of stories about people getting off tickets on technicalities - is it worth a shot to go to court for it :twisted: (bearing in mind that I could get 4 instead of 2 points and a heftier fine.

2. One for you Dave - will this have an immediate impact on my next insurance renewal (I will be requesting a quote from your office). Are insurance companies penalising everyone that has any points on their licenses or do you have to have 6 or 8 of them before it matters ?

K
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Speedyboy » Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:35 pm

Im pretty sure the ticket is invalid, I studied some law and I cant see that ticket standing up to a court challenge basically the ticket isnt made out to you as its not your number plate on it. Did you sign anything accepting a fixed penalty yet??

The funniest I ever seen was a lad in galway who was doing
60mph in a 133mph zone
:wink:
Wavin - Unrivalled European supplier of plastic pipe systems
Speedyboy
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby Dave » Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:08 pm

i'm not sure if it will stand up in court but as far as i know the insurance companies only start taking points into account if you've got four or more, but not 100% on that.
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Busted !!!!!

Postby Daz » Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:56 am

Kace wrote:After going for the past 3 years without a ticket I was finally busted this morning on the Stillorgan dualer at 7am. Nice motorcycle cop came out of nowhere but obviously had me well sussed. I took off from the lights at RTE in the overtaking lane and he stalked me from the bus lane so that he was out of my line of sight in the rearview. Was done for 58 in a 40. :(

Questions......

1. The Garda logged my registration on the ticket incorrectly and I have heard all sorts of stories about people getting off tickets on technicalities - is it worth a shot to go to court for it :twisted: (bearing in mind that I could get 4 instead of 2 points and a heftier fine.

2. One for you Dave - will this have an immediate impact on my next insurance renewal (I will be requesting a quote from your office). Are insurance companies penalising everyone that has any points on their licenses or do you have to have 6 or 8 of them before it matters ?

K

Before the points system i would have chalanged them on this but the thought of 4 instead of 2 would make me have second thoughts (probably the reason why this is so, to stop people challenging them if they do make a mistake) Plus the other thing i would have challenged was how did he clock your speed, if it was from his own speedo i would look for a calibration cert for said speedo(trafic cars in england get the speedo checked every week) as thru the beauty of the iso any device that is used in measurment espically somthing that is supposed to be proven has to be calibrated on a regular basis,
i used that on before a few years back and got of a sppeding fine, granted i was only doing 78 on a motorway at the time and i guess he figured i was just two much hassel.

Daz...
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!

Return to Motor Insurance