Timing Belt question - general

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

Timing Belt question - general

Postby soc » Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:05 am

Got a quick general question - if the timing belt snaps on a car the car won't start right?

Wife was starting her 00 polo this morning and as it turned over I heard a low popping sound and not it's dead as a doornail - turns over fine but won't fire. Immediate suspision is timing belt but it was too early and all my tools are elsewhere right now.

Anyone ever popped a timing belt before? If it is the timing belt thankfully it would have snapped on startup and there was not major noises so fingers crossed no major damage - and there's only 27K on this car.....
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Timing Belt question - general

Postby CJ » Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:42 am

shane wrote:Got a quick general question - if the timing belt snaps on a car the car won't start right?

The engine shouldn't turn over, if you're unlucky, you'll have bent valve stems and piston and cylinder damage. If you suspect the timing belt has snapped, don't even consider trying to start it up.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Timing Belt question - general

Postby soc » Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:46 am

CJ wrote:
shane wrote:Got a quick general question - if the timing belt snaps on a car the car won't start right?

The engine shouldn't turn over, if you're unlucky, you'll have bent valve stems and piston and cylinder damage. If you suspect the timing belt has snapped, don't even consider trying to start it up.

CJ

mmmm, fingers crossed there's been no damage cause I tried starting it a few times - sounds like starter motor spins but nothing else - although to be honest I didn't have a very close look so the engine could be turning over and just not firing. Have a guy coming out this evening to have a look so hope it's something simple....... maybe I can convince the wife it's time to change her car and pass the golf over to her... then I could go get that manual GPX :twisted:
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:05 am

always the opportunist!!! :wink:
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:45 am

Dave wrote:always the opportunist!!! :wink:

hehe, yea - the trouble is that the more I drive the golf the more I'm starting to like it. It's actually very easy to drive it fast in normal circumstances driving thanks to the low down pull - feels breathless over 4K rpm so I do really miss that FTO surge at high revs
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:48 am

it's the turbo.... why not have best of both worlds, get a nice 98-99 GR manual and we'll turbo it for you.

it's a lot easier to turbo a GR than a GPX, so you'd have the pull and torque at low down revs and the V6 pull in the higher rev range!!!! :twisted:
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:56 am

Dave wrote:it's the turbo.... why not have best of both worlds, get a nice 98-99 GR manual and we'll turbo it for you.

it's a lot easier to turbo a GR than a GPX, so you'd have the pull and torque at low down revs and the V6 pull in the higher rev range!!!! :twisted:

yea, it's the best of both worlds but the hassle involved in maintaining such a hybrid might be too much for me - I need a garage.... :-)
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:57 am

complete bolt on and basically maintenance free..... :wink:
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby JD » Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:24 pm

Dave, is the turbo kit only available for the GS?
JD
JD
I prefer my FTO to the missus
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby steelroe » Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:06 pm

Damage due to timing belt snapping would depend on whether the engine is interferance or non interferance type, i.e Interferance type will can get damaged.
steelroe
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:41 pm

steelroe wrote:Damage due to timing belt snapping would depend on whether the engine is interferance or non interferance type, i.e Interferance type will can get damaged.

yea, I read up on this on the web - turns out it was dodgy leads, <phew> but boy did I feel stupid not spotting this myself :oops:
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:09 am

the kit will be available for the GR very soon. We're going to be doing some work with RPW in developing it, only a matter of sorting our the pipe work really. the GS will be done in around a month and it's basically the same kit as that.
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mustang » Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:45 am

Shane
FYI the leads on the polo commonly fail, (have this on good authority from the local VW dealer) especially with the type of weather we are experiencing at the moment. I replaced the leads on a polo a few years back (my others half's car at the time by coincidence).
I was able to buy a complete set of after market leads for the same price VW wanted for one individual lead.

Mustang
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:22 am

Mustang wrote:Shane
FYI the leads on the polo commonly fail, (have this on good authority from the local VW dealer) especially with the type of weather we are experiencing at the moment. I replaced the leads on a polo a few years back (my others half's car at the time by coincidence).
I was able to buy a complete set of after market leads for the same price VW wanted for one individual lead.

Mustang

Ya - same here - replaced leads on my girlfriends polo a couple of years back. You'd think VW would do a recall at this stage- or at least offer replacement leads at cost for a well known fault.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:35 pm

Myfeckin FTO wrote:
Mustang wrote:Shane

Mustang

Ya - same here - replaced leads on my girlfriends polo a couple of years back. You'd think VW would do a recall at this stage- or at least offer replacement leads at cost for a well known fault.

yea this is what we were told alright - and the problem even spills over to the lupo's as well. VAG seem to have a real problem with ignition - the coil packs on most VAG 1.8T engines were prone to failing which affect a huge number of cars (A4, TT, golf, passat, etc)

Anyway the guy looking at the car said leave it and see how things go cause the VW leads are pretty expensive - I might try to source some aftermarket ones though.

Still feel like a total nonce for dragging him out in the weather last night...... a real novice.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Dave » Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:37 pm

better to be safe than sorry in my opinion!
Dave
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mustang » Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:39 pm

Shane wrote
VAG seem to have a real problem with ignition - the coil packs on most VAG 1.8T engines were prone to failing which affect a huge number of cars (A4, TT, golf, passat, etc)

Yes so I believe. One of my colleagues runs a passat 1.8T (company car).
Told me he had awful trouble with the ignition coils on his motor.
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:42 pm

Mustang wrote:Shane wrote
VAG seem to have a real problem with ignition - the coil packs on most VAG 1.8T engines were prone to failing which affect a huge number of cars (A4, TT, golf, passat, etc)

Yes so I believe. One of my colleagues runs a passat 1.8T (company car).
Told me he had awful trouble with the ignition coils on his motor.

touch wood I ain't gonna have the same problems although I believe they have to be replaced under warranty or as a recall.... having said that I'm sure if the problem was gonna surface it would have done already in the past 3 years - maybe the previous owners got them done :-)
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to FTO Technical