Upgrade to p3/4...

A forum for IT related questions

Moderator: Moderators

Upgrade to p3/4...

Postby philip » Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:14 pm

All,
Looking to upgrade my pc to a pentium 3 or 4, what needs to be done?
philip
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Re: Upgrade to p3/4...

Postby CJ » Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:52 pm

philip wrote:Looking to upgrade my pc to a pentium 3 or 4, what needs to be done?

Assuming you want to keep the original case and ancillaries, you'll need a new motherboard and CPU (I'd get faster RAM as well if I were you). Depending on the form factor of the original box, you may be limited to what you can stick in there. Give us as much info about the PC in terms of make, model, currect spec etc.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby kevinod » Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:24 pm

CJ wrote:
philip wrote:Looking to upgrade my pc to a pentium 3 or 4, what needs to be done?

Assuming you want to keep the original case and ancillaries, you'll need a new motherboard and CPU (I'd get faster RAM as well if I were you). Depending on the form factor of the original box, you may be limited to what you can stick in there. Give us as much info about the PC in terms of make, model, currect spec etc.

CJ

What kinda stuff are you hoping to do with it once its upgraded, or just want to do the same thing, a bit quicker?

Think its usually cheaper to buy another PC rather than upgrade the one you have, should be able to pick up a pentium 3/4 fairly cheaply, buy & sell or cash convertors or ebay, etc.

Kev.
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby philip » Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:54 pm

Bought a new digital camera but can't load the soft ware. Spent hours pricking around and found that it needs a p3 or more to run soft ware. Its a Nikon 4300 camera.
philip
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby CJ » Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:03 am

philip wrote:Bought a new digital camera but can't load the soft ware. Spent hours pricking around and found that it needs a p3 or more to run soft ware. Its a Nikon 4300 camera.

Philip, I doubt its the CPU thats stopping you using the software, its more likely to be a hardware limitation such as USB 1.0/2.0 incompatibilities.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby philip » Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:14 pm

Finally got the software sorted, had to load windows xp because the software would not run on windows 98. All is working fine now, thanks for the help.
Philip.
philip
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Return to Computers and IT