Howiyas

Say hello to other forum members

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please familiarise yourself with the forum rules before posting!

Howiyas

Postby DubC » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:01 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm new as the topic location suggests, been lurking for a little while and now that I'm an FTO owner figured I should post.

The name's Carl and I'm a lover of cars. I'm more interested in how they look and their ability rather than how they work and how I could possibly fix them, though.

I'm a friend of Mick Ah and I met Gary last week after my purchase (Pictured below). Mick and I went to Wexford on Saturday to have a look at it. I've seen the odd FTO over there years and they've always caught my eye. I think there was one hanging around fairview that I passed on a regular basis which had racing stripes and the grey one in Kinsealy..but bar those two they were a rare sight. I hadn't experienced one until a spin in Gary's a few months back which was good craic altogether, that's brought me to where I am now. Initially I wanted a Skyline or Supra but I needed something to fill the void until then, that day came last Saturday.

It'll require a bit of an investment until she's on the road as there's (apparently) a significant amount of rusting underneath which needs to be welded. Brake lines need fixing and a new steering wheel needs to be purchased. She's also missing a console, the plastic behind the door handles and one of the light-up sills is off.

I'm interested in knowing if anyone's seen this car about over the years or possibly owned it themselves?

Areas of her were faded due to the car being red so I picked up some t-cut the following day and went to work. I know it's a temporary fix but it'll do for now!

EDIT: Spent the day looking for insurance, XS DIrect were the only ones that would touch me and that's for €2,500.. I was surprised I got any quote for it!

The boot lid and spoiler before:

After (The clouds really don't help):

Hopefully I'll be seeing you lot about.
DubC
Speed freak
Speed freak

Re: Howiyas

Postby Mick ah » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:13 pm

:wel

Now all I need is another one!
Mick ah
Super unleaded
Super unleaded

Postby goz_83 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:24 am

:wel

She looks great Carl. The nurburgring sticker has gotta go though. You'll have to drop around with it and i'll have a gander before i head off to vegas. I can show you to to sort out the headlight fade too.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Kace » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:13 pm

Welcome !

Did the lads not inform you of the golden rule when it comes to FTOs ? Insurance first, FTO later 8)

It's definitely not easy to drive an FTO as a daily driver, no matter what your age, NCB, driving history.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby goz_83 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:19 pm

Kace wrote:Welcome !

Did the lads not inform you of the golden rule when it comes to FTOs ? Insurance first, FTO later 8)

It's definitely not easy to drive an FTO as a daily driver, no matter what your age, NCB, driving history.

I never met the lad until the other day. And his welcome post is the first I knew he was in my car. Was obviously whe I was away and Mick was looking after it, doing no damage at all while parking.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby DubC » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:37 pm

goz_83 wrote::wel

She looks great Carl. The nurburgring sticker has gotta go though. You'll have to drop around with it and i'll have a gander before i head off to vegas. I can show you to to sort out the headlight fade too.

Ah I don't mind the stickers! She won't be going anywhere I'm afraid, no tax or NCT on it yet. That'd be much appreciated although there's some kind of laminate on both of them...
Kace wrote:Welcome !

I knew insurance would be a tricky one and don't mind the cost that much.

The family mechanic took the car today and brought it to a welder he knows to have a look at the rust. Bad news though, the rust is so bad he doesn't want to risk repairing it and it falling back on him if there was an accident. Quite demotivating to hear after just purchasing her.

Anyone know a welder? :D
DubC
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby goz_83 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:14 pm

Im sure george will do it at gvd. Mikey is bringing my fto there on monday for a couple of odd jobs
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby DubC » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:43 pm

goz_83 wrote:Im sure george will do it at gvd. Mikey is bringing my fto there on monday for a couple of odd jobs

Neighbour took it down to the garage he works at today, they don't consider it at all safe. It would require a whole new chassis which he said would probably be €3000-€4000 to do.

I'm selling it instead, I wish I could say it's been a good run but it hasn't. feck dishonest people. :roll:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/9 ... px/5786193
DubC
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby StewyD32 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:40 am

:smt006 :wel
Silver 97 Mirage Asti V coupe
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Postby Kace » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:07 pm

DubC wrote:
goz_83 wrote:Im sure george will do it at gvd. Mikey is bringing my fto there on monday for a couple of odd jobs

Neighbour took it down to the garage he works at today, they don't consider it at all safe. It would require a whole new chassis which he said would probably be €3000-€4000 to do.

I'm selling it instead, I wish I could say it's been a good run but it hasn't. feck dishonest people. :roll:

That's bad news. But I would want a second opinion.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby GPXtatic » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:49 pm

:wel Lovin the shade of red, if i meet you on the road someday it'll be a laugh. Your like me looking for a skyline or supra and getting an fto. Trust me you'll love every minute of it 8)

Edit: Sorry to hear bout the rust but do get yourself one, they are worth it instead of a honda tin can. And liberty do insure it.

Edit,Edit: Get a manual!!! or atleast test drive one!
GPXtatic
1st gear
1st gear

Postby DubC » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:53 pm

Kace wrote:
DubC wrote:

That's bad news. But I would want a second opinion.

I've had two now and neither of them will touch it. Gary said I should drop down to Gvd (As mentioned above, too) but I just don't want that particular car now.
I'm looking to buy another FTO, though.
DubC
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby DubC » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:55 pm

GPXtatic wrote::wel Lovin the shade of red, if i meet you on the road someday it'll be a laugh. Your like me looking for a skyline or supra and getting an fto. Trust me you'll love every minute of it 8)

Edit: Sorry to hear bout the rust but do get yourself one, they are worth it instead of a honda tin can. And liberty do insure it.

Edit,Edit: Get a manual!!! or atleast test drive one!

We were out looking at a manual last night with the intentions of heading back tomorrow or Saturday for a thorough investigation of her. :P A Supra was on the agenda for Saturday but the cost of tax isn't justified for a Twin Cam. Hopefully a TT pops up in the not-so-distant future.
DubC
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby GPXtatic » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:16 pm

A Supra was on the agenda for Saturday but the cost of tax isn't justified for a Twin Cam

If its 94 grey silvery supra that im thinking off my mate went to look at one from a dealer in dublin who litterally has the only one :P and his oppinion was its a walk away, seen another in a private sale but was afraid it was a wheel swap and re post as private. youll find another fto easily enough. :)
GPXtatic
1st gear
1st gear

Postby DubC » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:23 pm

GPXtatic wrote:
A Supra was on the agenda for Saturday but the cost of tax isn't justified for a Twin Cam

If its 94 grey silvery supra that im thinking off my mate went to look at one from a dealer in dublin who litterally has the only one :P and his oppinion was its a walk away, seen another in a private sale but was afraid it was a wheel swap and re post as private. youll find another fto easily enough. :)

Yeah it was the grey one, absolutely lovely car though!

Myself and Mick went out yesterday and I bought a a black GPX that's up on carzone & autotrader. It's been around for 3 months or so now, advertising price was €1,500.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mitsubishi ... annel=CARS

The timing belt is overdue on it so that's first on my order of things to do. Mick came around this morning and we worked away at changing some things over from the red, the biggest job being the door locks and ignition barrel (Long story..) so they're all done now. We also switched the seats and alloys over, I'm really pleased with it now.

Once the timing belt's done and I can sort out a proper radio for it getting rid of that awful looking exhaust is next on the agenda.

Before

During

After (I'll sort out some better pictures tomorrow)

Old alloys

New ones

Lovely rust on the red FTO
DubC
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby goz_83 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:05 am

Nice one Carl. You should put a facelift bumper on her. I think I know someone with one :)

Change out all the fluids and get the water pump done as well as the timing belt. There are good ones on ebay, for less than camskill will charge. Looking forward to seeing it.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby brccrx » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:00 pm

The black one looks savage now! :)

Good job lads!
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby DubC » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:12 pm

goz_83 wrote:Nice one Carl. You should put a facelift bumper on her. I think I know someone with one :)

Change out all the fluids and get the water pump done as well as the timing belt. There are good ones on ebay, for less than camskill will charge. Looking forward to seeing it.

I'm getting it done Friday or Saturday this week hopefully, €400 for the kit + labour down on the Malahide road.

The bumper's growing on me a little. :roll: I'll pick Mick up one of the days and pop down to you. :)

brccrx wrote:The black one looks savage now! :)

Good job lads!

Haha cheers, not nearly as good as I'd like her to be but that'll happen in time. :smt004 Although she's attracting a little more attention than I'd like and for some reason the Gardaí are everywhere...

Also got the insurance on it yesterday, €1,580 for the year with XS.
DubC
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby DubC » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:08 am

After giving it some thought and discovering the car isn't way overdue on the belt, I've decided to give it another week and get the kit online.

Gary, there's several available on ebay, is there any you recommend?

How about installation, what'll that set me back? Most quotes I received for the kit and installation today were €500-600. I don't even want to fork out €400 for the lot.. :cry: I still need a new stereo in it which is near the top of my priorities.
DubC
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby brccrx » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:48 am

DubC wrote:After giving it some thought and discovering the car isn't way overdue on the belt, I've decided to give it another week and get the kit online.

How about installation, what'll that set me back? Most quotes I received for the kit and installation today were €500-600. I don't even want to fork out €400 for the lot.. :cry: I still need a new stereo in it which is near the top of my priorities.

O feck!!!

I can get decent water pump for 80-120 depend on the brand (or some more budget one at 45-50e )

Belt is hell expensive as its 120e alone (maybe i could sniff out the whole kit cheaper but it would be hard to :))

idler roller about 25-30e

and tensioner pulley 25-30e

So U talking about 225 to 300 at absolute maximum using only decent brands (!) for the parts and the labor to do the belt is 300 :?: :?: :?: (even more as mechanics always get parts discounts and all that and im not lol.

Its ridiculous!
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby DubC » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:35 am

brccrx wrote:
DubC wrote:After giving it some thought and discovering the car isn't way overdue on the belt, I've decided to give it another week and get the kit online.

O feck!!!

I can get decent water pump for 80-120 depend on the brand (or some more budget one at 45-50e )

Belt is hell expensive as its 120e alone (maybe i could sniff out the whole kit cheaper but it would be hard to :))

idler roller about 25-30e

and tensioner pulley 25-30e

So U talking about 225 to 300 at absolute maximum using only decent brands (!) for the parts and the labor to do the belt is 300 :?: :?: :?: (even more as mechanics always get parts discounts and all that and im not lol.

Its ridiculous!

I got the car back today, €450 for the timing belt and water pump supplied and fitted.

Had some fun in her this evening but it attracted some unwanted attention while pulled up near a friends house.

In dire need of a new radio with an aux input but the well's almost dry because of it. :cry:
DubC
Speed freak
Speed freak

Postby goz_83 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:11 am

Reception is usually poor in fto. I prefer the noise of the engine to be honest and usually have the stereo off. If i have a spare stereo, you can have it, but i think I gave it to Mick. I normally use Atlas in Baldoyle for service work on the fto. The owner, Mick used to own one and they usually look after me. I generally only do oil and filter changes myself, mainly due to laziness :D
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Return to Introduce yourself