idle problem

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

idle problem

Postby Daz » Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:22 am

Alright lads,

Its time to jump start the brains into action. On my day off yesterday i tried to start my second FTO to get it ready for me to use instead of the Tiptronic, but it wouldn't start, i guess since its been lying up since i bought it nearly two months ago the alarm had drained the battery, I tried to charge it but it wouldn't take the charge, it was one of those crap jap battery's so i bought a new heavy duty one, and fitted that (after i had changed the terminal connections aswell). It would start but wouldn't idle, so i took apart the ISC, it was clean but i cleaned it again anyway refitted it and still the same, then i started it and kept the revs up till the engine started to warm and then it would idle but idle high at about 1.7k rpm.

So i'm just wondering what else it could be, i'm thinking along the lines of maybe an engine temp sensor with either broken cable/connector or sending back info saying the engine is hot when cold hence less petrol so no idle?? or possibly the lambda(spell??) sensor in the exhaust either broken cable/connector or sending info that the mixture is to rich hence less petrol again and no idle. but i didn't have my workshop manual cd as it is here in work so going to check them for location of engine temp sensor and corresponding connectionsand cableing, and like wise for the lambda cableing/connections.

Has anyone else any idea as to what it could be

Cheers&thanks

Daz...
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive, anyway.
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz
Financially Troubled & Overdrawn!

Re: idle problem

Postby CJ » Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:58 pm

Daz wrote:Has anyone else any idea as to what it could be

First things first, if you havn't already done so, pull the ISC out of your Tip and throw it into the manual, you'll know fairly soon if its the ISC thats at fault. Other possible causes are faulty TPS and bady worn plugs, and as you say the lambda sensor. You're lucky in that you can swap all of these bits out of the Tip into the manual to help diagnose the problem.

Good luck

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Daz » Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:23 pm

CJ wrote:
Daz wrote:Has anyone else any idea as to what it could be

First things first, if you havn't already done so, pull the ISC out of your Tip and throw it into the manual, you'll know fairly soon if its the ISC thats at fault. Other possible causes are faulty TPS and bady worn plugs, and as you say the lambda sensor. You're lucky in that you can swap all of these bits out of the Tip into the manual to help diagnose the problem.

Good luck

Ciaran

I am lucky to be able to swap parts out alright, but it got to dark to start that yesterday, i may wait till my day off on monday to try out that.

Daz...
18 yrs an owner presently on my 4th a Manual Gpx with twin turbo conversion, in Daytona Blue
Daz

Postby Daz » Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:01 am

Good news, on monday i sorted out my idle problem!!!

I swapped out the isc from the black to the red FTO and it idled, so i left it in that one as thats the one i'm driving now. put the other isc in the black one just to double check, and it wouldn't idle, so took it apart again and cleaned it yet again checked all the soldered joints ect fitted it again still no joy. Starting to get piss*d off with it but refused to be beaten, took it apart again but this time part of the silver cage surrounding the plastic/nylon discs came away and stayed inside the housing, i figured that this was either catching the spindle stopping it from moving or moving with the spindle when it shouldn't. So i bent in the pointed section on it to dig into the disc a small bit fitted it back together and tried it again on the black FTO and bingo it worked :D :D :D

Just wanted to say thanks for all help and info lads,

Thanks

Daz...
Daz

Postby CJ » Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:20 am

Good news Daz.

Give us your impressions of changing from a Tip to manual in terms of responsiveness, acceleration and the like.

Ciaran
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to FTO Technical