The ultimate Golf

Discuss other marques here

Moderator: Moderators

The ultimate Golf

Postby soc » Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:02 pm

Sorry guys I just had to post this link

http://www.mrkiv.com/

Have a hunt around the site and download some of the videos - this is one serious golf. The guy must have spent a fortune on it.... Audi tt 225bhp engine dropped in and tuned to 365bhp. 0-62mph in 5.95secs (see video). Top speed 160mph+ (again see video). Porsche brakes (60mph-0mph in 2.2 seconds). It even looks kinda cool for a golf (still no FTO though) and it's a 5 door so you've got some practicality :-)
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby kevinod » Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:50 pm

Is it just me or does this guy have a LOT of Audi TT stuff in there?? Maybe he should have just bought an Audi TT??

Hmmm.... the interior doesn't do it for me... would like to see a pic of these illuminated vents that he mentions in the spec.

He seems to have an awful lot of exterior/interior stuff mentioned and it doesn't look all that different to me, must have been lots of subtle changes? With the exception of the grill on the front of course...
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:54 pm

I have a DVD from a mate in Norway - from track meets and shows in Norway and by far the most impressive car on the track was a 4WD Mark IV Golf. An absolute bullet - made mince-meat out of every other performance car on the track. I'm pretty sure it cost a lot more to develop than every other performance car on the track as well though.

Well worth viewing even if it is in Norwegian - the sound from this yoke is something else.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mustang » Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:11 pm

I don't subscribe to the whole volks world phenomenon. As practical, sensible, reliable, day to day transport, with a hint Euro-chic, VW's are hard to beat. But as regards genuine drivers cars, VW dropped the ball long ago. (Although the mark V golf is supposed to be back to basics) But for a project such as this -look at the starting point, if you are going to change virtually everything about the car, why bother? Why not just get something that meets your needs? Like Kev said Should have bought a TT.
Too much time and money methinks.
For what it's worth, the only VW that I can honestly say I genuinely like, is the Corrado.
(Shane no offence intended :wink: )

Mustang
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:05 pm

Mustang wrote:For what it's worth, the only VW that I can honestly say I genuinely like, is the Corrado.
(Shane no offence intended :wink: )

Mustang

No offence taken mate - I was just amazed at the amount of time and money that was spent on the car. Definitely not something I would have done -

Agree that VW lost the plot on drivers cars after the mkII golf and corrado - and although the mkiv golf isn't a real drivers car it's a great allrounder - still I will need to make a few adjustments to the handling.

I suppose I just can't help be amazed/imperssed when someone puts that much work into any car...... :-)
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:09 pm

kevinod wrote:Is it just me or does this guy have a LOT of Audi TT stuff in there?? Maybe he should have just bought an Audi TT??

Hmmm.... the interior doesn't do it for me... would like to see a pic of these illuminated vents that he mentions in the spec.

yea, the golf interior doesn't look great in pictures but trust me with the leather recaros it is very impressive - the seats are amazing. Dash is a bit too city hatchback though :(

He seems to have an awful lot of exterior/interior stuff mentioned and it doesn't look all that different to me, must have been lots of subtle changes? With the exception of the grill on the front of course...

I suppose the interior changes don't stand out that much but the exterior is way different - obviously he did such a good job making it all look factory - the wide arch kit makes the car look way wider, not to mention the new bumpers, skirts and (my favourite) the quad exhaust.

But like you say, lots of TT bits in there so probably would have been better off getting a TT to start with and then modifying that.... some people are a bit strange like that....... still pretty impressive spec all the same.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby kevinod » Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:35 pm

shane wrote:
kevinod wrote:yea, the golf interior doesn't look great in pictures but trust me with the leather recaros it is very impressive - the seats are amazing. Dash is a bit too city hatchback though :(

I suppose the interior changes don't stand out that much but the exterior is way different - obviously he did such a good job making it all look factory - the wide arch kit makes the car look way wider, not to mention the new bumpers, skirts and (my favourite) the quad exhaust.

But like you say, lots of TT bits in there so probably would have been better off getting a TT to start with and then modifying that.... some people are a bit strange like that....... still pretty impressive spec all the same.

Could well look better in the 'flesh', pics aren't great so probably don't do it justice alright. I would have liked to see a night pic on there, the illuminated vents could look well (or could look terrible but potential is there :wink: )

One thing I would say in his favour is that the mods aren't in-your-face gaudy things, as you say they look factory which is a definate plus in his favour. He's definately put a LOT of time and money into it, just don't think I'd put so much effort and trouble into something that isn't going to look very different.

Came across someone else before, might have been on here months ago, that were buying an FTO but straight away putting a Supra spoiler and supra lights, etc. on it, really sounds like he wanted a Supra in the first place. All to their own I guess, if thats what they want to do and are happy with it best of luck to them!
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Return to Other Cars