NCT - Lambda Sensor

Discuss issues related to the NCT \ MOT

Moderator: Moderators

NCT - Lambda Sensor

Postby Mitsinut » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:18 am

I've got a test in the morning, last day of the 28 for the re-test, and it failed only on the "missions". Does anyone have a spare working Lambda that I could borrow in the morning for about 2 hours (based in Limerick, would travel to Cork, Kerry, Clare, Tipp, or possibly further if needs be). I have three old Lambda sensors, but they are no good (well, one is functioning but not very well, and the one ordered from Ebay hasn't arrived yet...

Results were ok, just high CO2 on the high idle, (Lambda 1.03) 0.76% first test, (Lambda 1.01) 0.56% second test (limit 0.3)

If anyone could help, I'd really appreciate it and you'd get your Lambda sensor back on Friday afternoon.
Mitsinut
Octane king
Octane king

Re: NCT - Lambda Sensor

Postby Kace » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:17 pm

Why do you think it's the Lambda - and not the coolant temp sensor or Cat? In my experience a faulty Lambda causes results that are off the scale.

I'm in a similar situation btw - emissions all over the place and waiting to get a new lambda in. I don't think I'll make the 28 day deadline though :-(
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mitsinut » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:32 pm

Hi KACE,

I got it tested, the Lambda is working as in the power signals are correct from the ECU, it's just not working properly. The head is probably clogged.
The readings curve is supposed to be uniform and sharp, but one is generating a very slow curve with hardly any movement response to revving, the other
is flat lining (completely dead).

Temperature gauge is normal, engine is not burning oil (leaking a bit, but not burning) and the CAT looks good. I'm getting Bernard's one in the morning,
so hopefully that will get it through.

The first tester got the engine temp to 85 (0.76%), but the second was only 81(0.51%). They say they tried to pass it but the 85 and 81 tell's its own story.
It's a bit of a lottery, can only do trial and error. I didn't NCT the second lambda (the one that was flat lining).

Did you buy a second-hand one off ebay from a guy in Worcestershire? I could probably have saved a few bob and bought generic, but you'd want be sure
that you got the wiring correct. Camskill only had the 1.8 version, which is apparently different, and a 2 week minimum wait to order the GPX version
from Japan (and serious €€€). Checked the codes and it is the same as a DENSO one, but no time to experiment.

It would be a good idea to have and NCT exhaust sitting somewhere, would take some of the pain out of it.
Mitsinut
Octane king
Octane king

Postby Mitsinut » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:46 pm

A big thank you to Bernard who gave me a loan of his lambda, passed without a problem. Could see the fuel efficiency was much better on the drive to the centre.
Mitsinut
Octane king
Octane king

Postby Bernard » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:19 pm

Happy to help. Congrats on the pass, sorted for another 11 months :wink:
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to NCT \ MOT