Boxters

Discuss other marques here

Moderator: Moderators

Postby CJ » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:08 am

RussMan wrote: Also my jealousy as i really want a boxster... black at some stage!!

Maybe its just me, but when I look at a Boxter, I don't see anything special (and the engine ain't up to much (unless you're talking about the Boxter S)

Give me a manual GPvR Aero series any day!

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby agent s » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:28 am

Yea pass on any Porsche any day of the week! Don't think they have any style & they all look the same!
Last edited by agent s on Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Don’t upset me. I’m running out of places to hide the bodies.”
agent s
I prefer my FTO to the missus

Postby kevinod » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:58 am

If someone handed me the keys of a Porsche for a while I think I'd be a happy bunny!

They're not a bad looking car at all, the problem is the design team has no imagination, every porsche these days looks the same, even the Cayenne has the same front on it!

Kev.
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby CJ » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:17 am

kevinod wrote:If someone handed me the keys of a Porsche for a while I think I'd be a happy bunny!

Yeah, getting out in a Carrera GT or even a 4 would be good fun but a run of the mill Boxster..? Its at the bottom of the range and doesn't have a whole lot going for it (apart from the badge) when you consider the price.

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby agent s » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:36 am

kevinod wrote:They're not a bad looking car at all, the problem is the design team has no imagination, every porsche these days looks the same, even the Cayenne has the same front on it!

Oh my God don't get me started on the Cayenne! I just totally hate them! Why would they make a 4x4 go so fast & then make it look about as interesting as a potato?!! :?
“Don’t upset me. I’m running out of places to hide the bodies.”
agent s

Postby soc » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:24 am

RussMan wrote:What car where you in?

Yup sitting at the temporary lights in a bright (jazz) blue golf gti with the large (18") RS4's.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:28 am

CJ wrote: but a run of the mill Boxster..? Its at the bottom of the range and doesn't have a whole lot going for it (apart from the badge) when you consider the price.

CJ

Ah to be fair the boxster is a pretty impressive car - it handles brilliantly (probably better than the FTO which is saying something) but still has really good ride quality. Agreed the standard 2.7 (or older 2.5) isn't the most amazing of engines but it still shifts and the flat-6 sounds good on song. Well I had fun the day I got to take one for a spin ;)

But give me a 911 anyday..... my favourite would be a 993 (which are commanding some pretty heavy prices these days) but I'd settle for a nice 964 with wide arch turbo body.... :)

split topic??
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby CJ » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:53 am

shane wrote:split topic??

Good idea.

shane wrote:Ah to be fair the boxster is a pretty impressive car

It may well be an impressive car in terms of performanance but look at the price that the things are changing hands for? When you draw comparisons on price alone, its not all that in my mind.

shane wrote:It handles brilliantly (probably better than the FTO which is saying something)

I can't say that I've ever driven a Boxter but I'd love to get the thing on the back roads to see how it performs, I drove a 996 with the PSM turned off and I wasn't majorly impressed with the handling when the electronics were taken out of the picture.

While I take this sort of jealousy with a pinch of salt, theres a guy who works in my place who gets awful stick over his Boxter, partly because its a Porchse and partly becuase he couldn't afford a better model!

CJ
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby soc » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:02 pm

CJ wrote:
shane wrote:split topic??

Good idea.

shane wrote:Ah to be fair the boxster is a pretty impressive car

It may well be an impressive car in terms of performanance but look at the price that the things are changing hands for? When you draw comparisons on price alone, its not all that in my mind.

Aye, I'm in full agreement here - they are silly money and when you take this into account the FTO really comes out to play!

shane wrote:It handles brilliantly (probably better than the FTO which is saying something)

I can't say that I've ever driven a Boxter but I'd love to get the thing on the back roads to see how it performs, I drove a 996 with the PSM turned off and I wasn't majorly impressed with the handling when the electronics were taken out of the picture.

CJ

Never really liked the 996's looks (or the boxster for that matter) but the boxster really does handle brilliantly. What I'd really like is a 993 widebody turbo..... but they're commanding upto £50K (sterling) for later cars (which is often more expensive than the later 996 model cars).

I've been reading Total Porsche and Porsche 911 for a few months now (can you tell ;)) and I'd love to get my hands on a good condition low(ish) milage 964 with the widebody turbo body....... but they're still mad money for what would probably be a 1993 car.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby adrian » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:23 pm

I do like the boxster...love it infact.... but I think Clarkson was right on top gear a while ago when he said "A boxster is like driving around with a sign saying my life worked out well, but not as well as I would have liked"... in other words saying that a boxster driver, without exception, is a porsche driver who could not afford a 911!!

I know I am biased, but up until this years model a Boxster S 3.2 super charged engine was pushing out just 15BHP more then my 2L S2000. A whole 1.2 litres extra for 15BHP?
I believe the 2.7 Boxster is only 228BHP before this years model, which is not impressive for the cash

Still, as you say... I'd be more then happy with one! I do like the look!
adrian
Super FTO aficionado!
Super FTO aficionado!

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:01 pm

Boxster - no real interest.
911 - Oh Yeah.
New Porsche Cayman - good compromise 8)
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/picture_li ... _20440.jpg

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/picture_li ... _20439.jpg
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby AL » Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:09 pm

personally i think the guys ran out of design time or money on the boxster, they got it right with the front (911esque), but some clever bastard decided to save time and do the same with the rear, now i dont know weither a boxster is coming or going when i see em :lol:

similar concept to audi TT, they look like a bowler hat on wheels :oops:
AL

Return to Other Cars