gr to mivec engine swap

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

gr to mivec engine swap

Postby m4dmike » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:13 pm

wondering which would be more work,

putting a mivec into a gr, or putting the manual from the gr into the mivec. or would it be simpler to swap over the mivec heads,

Is the engine loom different that you need the ecu from the mivec itself.

This is going to be a motorsport application so the engine will be getting a full rebuild along with the box and car.

im restricted to the n/a 2 litre engine so tutbochargining and bigger engines cant be done, most of the performance will be from extensive lightening work, proper brakes and suspension,

Also the gearbox i have is a gr manual, know where to get the lsd but as 100mph flat out would be more than enough. would the cyborg R gearbox handle the pressure or can i fit a final drive from one of the other mitsubishi models to bring down the max speed.
im hoping to achieve 240 bhp using fuel, exhaust, intake and a remapping, maybe even a stand alone engine management system, any pointers would be appreciated
m4dmike
1st gear
1st gear

Re: gr to mivec engine swap

Postby goz_83 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:40 am

Welcome to the club. I will let someone more knowledgeable answer the above, but one thing I can tell you is that a few of us had our cars on the rolling road last week and the company also do remapping, but said that there would be no point remapping a gpx as the gains would be so tiny, due to the engine being so well tuned from factory. The only thing you might consider is a mivec controller.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:51 pm

Just my twopence worth.

You won't be able to swap heads from to make a non mivec engine a mivec.
Would make more sense just to switch over the gearboxes although if you could get your hands on a GPvR gearbox it will have an LSD (albeit not a proper mechanical diff).
Gains as you say will mostly come from weight reduction - as its a track car - def get rid of the air con system and air con fan etc - together its about 40 -45 kgs of weight (you'll need a shorter aux belt to bypass the air con pulley).

More power = burn more fuel as quickly & efficently as possible and get rid of exhaust gas.
So if you are doing a full rebuild then while you are at it maybe upgrade to a walbro fuel pump, a fuel pressure regulator and if possible uprated injectors and colder plugs (Denso Iridiums) - CAI and a decatted exhaust will also help with getting all the exhaust gas away. A decent aftermarket ECU to help map the above and you should see some gains.

Don't spend too much time (or money) on the engine - as mentioned gains will be hard earned. Don't bother with a mivec controller - its already set at optimum.

Money spent on suspension (coilovers, strut braces inc under car), brakes and tyres (a set of toyo R888's will likely gain far more time on track than any engine mod) is money better spent than on engine mods.

If you are building a track FTO - make sure you start a build thread on here and maybe we can help out along the way.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby m4dmike » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:40 pm

thanks i was mostly really concerned about the gearbox really. might be possible to look at a sequential some time in the future, at the moment i think the standsard box with a higher final drive and a diff will do.

in terms of lightening im going all out. i think ill even be strippin the loom back to the bare essentials, polycarbonate windows and grp panels and bumpers. removing the air con system, the abs system, might even get my hands on some magnesium wheels in the future too

curious about the mivec controller. it could suit to use one because the car will be doin sprint and hillclimb events so low down grunt is most beneficial.
The tires will be basically 17 inch tarmac rally tires with all the options that come with it.

has anyone ever gone for the individual throttle body set up, or even carbs.I have seen an enlarged TB for the factory manifold on rpw and maybe this with the bigger injectors, fuel pump,air filter, and complete free flow exhaust, remapping this sort of set up might show some half decent results,

manners on tickover is not a concern neither is money to be honest, the reason i want to use this particular car is the fact that its a very rare car to see in motorsport and number 2 the sound! :D

I think the only thing i havent found yet is an option for the final drive on the gear box,
this is still in the planning stage so if anyone has any pointers or pitfalls in relation to anything i have said be sure to let me know
m4dmike
1st gear
1st gear

Postby Bernard » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:37 pm

Have a look on the Aussie forums, they seem to be far more into power gains than us.
Some lunatics over there too.
Bernard
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby m4dmike » Sat May 11, 2013 11:08 pm

Well i went and had a look at the auzzie site and to be honest theyre lunatics alright, it seems to be a rush to give abuse to everyone who asks about the n/a tuning of the mivec engine. and not one of them actually can answer a question. i have had a look at the set up including calculating the maximum efficiency of the engine and it looks like the engine as a pump can make 380 hp. obviously without any other restrictions intake and exhaust wise. nobody knows what a full tuned exhaust manifold manifold can produce apart from on fella claiming 30 hp increase, i was guessing 20 myself,

i have come to the conclusion that a fully rebuilt mivec fto with
a ported inlet manifold,
cold air feed air filter ramair setup if possible,
red top fuel pump and pressure regulator,
paralell fuel rails,
fully tuned exhaust manifold back,
aircon delete and electric power steering,
with a proper ecu mapped for the job would be worth over 260 hp, conservative estimate.

grp bonnet, boot front and rear bumpers, polycarb windows and a full strip of eerything that doesnt make the car go, stop or keep the weather out, 1190 and 90 of that is the aircon... should get it down to 850 to 900 with cage in.

evo suspention and brakes brembos of the evo 6 onto evo 5 hubs and wishbones also the whiteline anti roll bars and polybushes to a just camber and the like,

lsd gearbox, all im missing is a 5.0 final drive, or the specs on a cyborg r gearbox, or even the lancer mivec one if it will fit. max speed can be 110 mph for all it matters
It would be really great if someone could comment on anything i have listed there if you have any experience of using the parts and if theyre any good.
i want to make this car work and work well, there are not enough v6 engines in motorsport,
m4dmike
1st gear
1st gear

Postby brccrx » Mon May 13, 2013 4:05 pm

Hi!
Sorry but i would be far less optimistic about the final power output it will make with all the changes U plan

U could add lightened flywheel to the set up, it will climb up even faster!

Bored out throttle body and intake manifold. Far easier could be to tune the build using larger size injectors and no fuel pressure regulator, just base the tuning on the injectors size and ignition timing instead of adding the pressure!

Skim the head bit or find thinner head gasket so U'll get higher compression ratio, dont go to mad cause it will be hard to avoid knock!

Balance the crank with the flywheel and maybe lighten the crank to.

Custom made camshafts with uprated retainers.

Anyway, whatever U go for, dyno the car before and after so U'll know did U make step forward or step back!

Seb.
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby MY-JAP-MISTRESS » Sun May 19, 2013 10:41 am

would it not be cheaper and less hastle to sell the gr and buy a gpx with the way the prices are at the moment. then just do any other work you wanna do to the gpx?
MY-JAP-MISTRESS
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby m4dmike » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:16 pm

I did look at the gpx alright but to be honest there is nothing on it that ill be keeping (in comparison to the gr) and i have already sourced a mive. Engine into the bargain.

Will i need the mivec engine harness to fit or can i adapt the gr engine harness to do the job.
m4dmike
1st gear
1st gear

Return to FTO Technical