Would I be mad....?

Discuss other marques here

Moderator: Moderators

Would I be mad....?

Postby soc » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:58 pm

Would I be mad to consider a yellow S3? I want an S3 but would I mad or just plain stuid to buy a yellow one?

P.s. I "think" I could live with the colour myself....
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Muad_dib77 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:23 pm

You'd want to be pretty keen on the yellow..

they are cool cars afaik..but yellow..I don't know..Was once considering a yellow megane..In the end I decided it was just not the right color...
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Tiomáint sé cosúil go bhfuil tú déanach i gcás maise!
Muad_dib77

Postby soc » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:29 pm

yea, I know what you're saying - I think the price refects the colour as well - 20,000 for a 2001 is cheap enough for an S3

here's some pictures of a yellow one...

http://www.mark.lynham.btinternet.co.uk ... /mys3.html
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Muad_dib77 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:34 pm

It's actually quite cool looking I think. Stands out from the crowd :-)

Why not get an FTO instead?
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Muad_dib77

Postby soc » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:41 pm

Muad_dib77 wrote:It's actually quite cool looking I think. Stands out from the crowd :-)

Why not get an FTO instead?

Cause my wife made me sell my last one... :cry: :oops: :r She didn't like the ride quality (or the attention it attracted) unfortunately.

I do plan on getting an FTO again as a second/summer/weekend car but not until we've found a house with a garage and I've saved all my pennies again!

But for now I've a hankering for 4wd....
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Muad_dib77 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:06 pm

My lady isn't super keen on the FTO either, so I know where you're coming from.. :? fortunately she just sighs and glares whenever I talk about it.. I think at this stage she's just mildly fed up cause I keep breaking it :-)

Wouldn't mind something with 4wd - would be handy on the backroads.

The s4 does look nice. Did you watch TopGear last night.. Clarkson was testing the new RS..pretty amazing machine it seems. Different price range altogther though :-(
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Muad_dib77

Postby kevinod » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:45 pm

Here's a question for ya - whats different with Audi than would be in the equivalent VW/Skoda/Seat? apart from the colour of course :wink:

Most of these cars seem to use exactly the same parts apart from some body bits like the grille, etc., is it worth spending the few extra thousand on an audi rather than a skoda?
Steel Silver manual GR (95 C)
kevinod

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:21 pm

kevinod wrote:...is it worth spending the few extra thousand on an audi rather than a skoda?

Theres no Skoda equivalent for the S3.
Then theres the badge snobbery to consider as well.

BTW Shane - The S3 is one car I would consider in yellow - would be particularly nice with black alloys.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby kevinod » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:25 pm

Myfeckin FTO wrote:Theres no Skoda equivalent for the S3.

Ok but VW/Seat? Badge snobbery, I know what you mean, but it wouldn't be worth an extra few thousand quid to me anyway. I guess some people would think it is though... :roll:
kevinod

Postby Muad_dib77 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:38 pm

I'll sell you either of those badges for a tenner each...

..you just point me in the direct of one of them and I'll come along with my screwdriver..
:wink: (JK)
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Muad_dib77

Postby soc » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:10 pm

kevinod wrote:
Myfeckin FTO wrote:Theres no Skoda equivalent for the S3.

Ok but VW/Seat? Badge snobbery, I know what you mean, but it wouldn't be worth an extra few thousand quid to me anyway. I guess some people would think it is though... :roll:

I hear what your saying Kev and to a degree I do agree. There is some badge snobbery attached to buying Audi Vs the rest of the VAG group - sure ain't there a sliding scale across the whole group, i.e. in terms of pricing 1. Audi, 2. VW, 3. Seat, 4. Skoda. But (unless you plan on running the car into the ground) this ratio should remain in the used values as the cars age so although you pay more initially, you'll get more when it comes to sale time (probably not as simple as that but you get what I'm saying... ;))

Anyway - to answer your question - why not a non-Audi VAG equivalent - simple answer - there is no real equivalent except for the 225bhp TT. And the TT is grossly over priced, suffers from some terrible quality issues (not all of them but enough to put me off) and they are just too common. There is the Golf 4-motion but has a 2.8lt V6 engine which would be too costly on juice and tax - plus the engine is not that tuneable and only puts out 205bhp as standard. I think the S3 is expensive to buy for the year but it has a very tuneably enginee (remap alone should give 265bhp), a brilliant 4wd system, a very classy interior ('electric heated leather recaro's, yum, yum) and (hopefully) good residuals. Plus, to cap it all, my mechanic ran an S3 for a few years and knows them inside out.
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:13 pm

Myfeckin FTO wrote:BTW Shane - The S3 is one car I would consider in yellow - would be particularly nice with black alloys.

Hmmm, I hear what your saying alright but like with the Golf I'd really want to keep things as OEM as possible on the styling front for subtlty which is why I'm not sure about going for one of the rarer in your face colours..... :? Reckon that's why this car is priced at 20k while others in more subtle colours are priced around 24k
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Re: Would I be mad....?

Postby Kace » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:47 pm

soc wrote:Would I be mad to consider a yellow S3? I want an S3 but would I mad or just plain stuid to buy a yellow one?

S3 - no problem, yellow - NO NO NO (I always look at people driving yellow cars just to be sure that they are female and have a Tweety Air Freshener
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:52 pm

Kace wrote:
soc wrote:Would I be mad to consider a yellow S3? I want an S3 but would I mad or just plain stuid to buy a yellow one?

S3 - no problem, yellow - NO NO NO (I always look at people driving yellow cars just to be sure that they are female and have a Tweety Air Freshener

:smt046
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Mustang » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:01 pm

soc wrote:Would I be mad to consider a yellow S3?

YES!
The S3 is indeed a nice car but part of the attraction (for me at least) is the understated style. This is somewhat negated by painting it in yellow, far too lairy for my liking. Yes you could pick a yellow one up cheaper, but like you said yourself

this ratio should remain in the used values as the cars age so although you pay more initially, you'll get more when it comes to sale time (probably not as simple as that but you get what I'm saying... )

The colour is going to seriously limit your target audiance, I really would not like to be trying to sell on a yellow car.
I think lairy colours such a yellow, lime green, etc are best left to the Max power crew.
Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby soc » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:04 pm

Mustang wrote:
soc wrote:Would I be mad to consider a yellow S3?

YES!
The S3 is indeed a nice car but part of the attraction (for me at least) is the understated style. This is somewhat negated by painting it in yellow, far too lairy for my liking. Yes you could pick a yellow one up cheaper, but like you said yourself

this ratio should remain in the used values as the cars age so although you pay more initially, you'll get more when it comes to sale time (probably not as simple as that but you get what I'm saying... )

The colour is going to seriously limit your target audiance, I really would not like to be trying to sell on a yellow car.
I think lairy colours such a yellow, lime green, etc are best left to the Max power crew.

You've just convinced me :)
soc
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:06 pm

Kace wrote:

:lol: Nah - I only ever notice S3 's when they are in yellow - too bland otherwise.

OT I know but apart from the exotics (lambo,ferrari's etc) there are only a handfull of cars that can pull off yellow - surprisingly enough they are mostly VAG.

Audi S3
VW Corrado
Skoda Octavia RS
Seat Leon Cupra

And of course theres the only Jap car I've ever liked in yellow - the FTO. :wink:
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby kevinod » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:21 pm

Myfeckin FTO wrote:there are only a handfull of cars that can pull off yellow
Skoda Octavia RS

:shock: man if I saw an Octavia in yellow, now that would be obscene... too big and not nearly exotic enough looking for that kinda craic! Ok its got some nice stuff going on under the bonnet but outside, I like it personally but not enough for it to be yellow!
kevinod

Postby kevinod » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:22 pm

Agreed on the S3 and Cupra though, not convinced on the Corrado...
kevinod

Postby Mustang » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:34 pm

kevinod wrote: not convinced on the Corrado...

Me neither!

Mustang
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:38 pm

I like both in yellow - Yellow would put me off buying most cars but not either of these - though I wouldn't buy an Octavia VRS regardless of colour.
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby Muad_dib77 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:41 pm

The Corrando just doesn't look right... kinda odd...you'd expect a guy wearing dungarees and a cap (back to front) to be driving that.

Like yer man...Marky Marky..the bloke with the Funky Bunch..

Like always NOI!!!
Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Muad_dib77

Postby kevinod » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:43 pm

This gent might go for them, already has a yellow car of his own:

:lol: :P
kevinod

Postby Muad_dib77 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:55 pm

kevinod wrote:This gent might go for them, already has a yellow car of his own:

:lol: :P

For some reason that didn't work for me... so here it is :

Image<->FTO-Ireland Shop
Muad_dib77

Postby Myfeckin FTO » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:59 pm

Muad_dib77 wrote:The Corrando just doesn't look right... kinda odd...you'd expect a guy wearing dungarees and a cap (back to front) to be driving that.

Like yer man...Marky Marky..the bloke with the Funky Bunch..

Like always NOI!!!

This coming from a guy who at the start of this thread said he was considering a yellow megane?

Megane or Corrado - HMMM! :smt017 Its a tough one but for once I'll be going VAG. :lol:

NOI obviously :smt047
Myfeckin FTO
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Next

Return to Other Cars